EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I love the media.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 08-20-2006 11:54:04 AM
Oh wait. No I don't

This is the kind of shit that I just can't stand, and is why I gave up Journalism as a Major.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 08-20-2006 11:59:21 AM
I knew that the media could get low, but dayum.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Suddar
posted 08-20-2006 12:10:29 PM
The burning tires got me. The others were subtle misrepresentations, but burning tires? Come on, they're tires.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-20-2006 12:36:09 PM
quote:
From the book of Azizza, chapter 3, verse 16:
Oh wait. No I don't

This is the kind of shit that I just can't stand, and is why I gave up Journalism as a Major.

Yeah, because all people in the media are corrupt, yep.

There are millions of journalists out there. Some are corrupt.

That happens in every single profession. There will always be corruption -- it seems like an easy road to get ahead. Do I feel this is right? No way in hell. These people should lose their jobs. Do I feel that this means the whole world of journalism is always wrong? Not at all. It really isn't a major thing to see corruption in any profession -- this corruption just has more of an impact and is more visible.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 08-20-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Maradon!
posted 08-20-2006 12:56:20 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Falaanla Marr who doth quote:
Yeah, because all people in the media are corrupt, yep.

There are millions of journalists out there. Some are corrupt.

The majority of mainstream journalists unashamedly advocate a hardline leftist agenda. Rathergate anyone? I'd say that counts as corruption.

Journalism schools teach that the journalist is an architecht of social change and that truth is secondary to this goal.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-20-2006 at 12:56 PM.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-20-2006 01:00:25 PM
The media and news are entertainment businesses.

They exist to make profit by selling papers and/or ad space.

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 08-20-2006 at 01:03 PM.

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 08-20-2006 03:39:22 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Maradon! wrote:
The majority of mainstream journalists unashamedly advocate a hardline leftist agenda. Rathergate anyone? I'd say that counts as corruption.

Journalism schools teach that the journalist is an architecht of social change and that truth is secondary to this goal.

Thank you Maradon, im so happy someone else sees the truth.

"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-20-2006 03:48:54 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about pies:

Back this up as a widespread phenomenon and some an off-hand remark from some professor at a dinner party please. The fact that yes, journalists attempt to convince people of their views, does not count, I want to see some backing for the implication that it is common practice in US schools of journalism to encourage students to lie in the course of engineering social change.

Also yes to someone who considers George Soros of all people a hard-line Marxist I guess mainstream journalism qualifies as 'hard-line leftism'.

Oh and fuck every single manager in any company, anywhere because of Kenneth Lay and DeBeers. If the fact that some photographers try to cheat their way to recognition implicates the whole of journalism, surely there must be sufficient fraud being committed by various companies to damn the whole of free enterprise itself.

Those pictures were not made out of ideological agenda, they were most likely fixed by the photographers for financial reasons. Getting only one memorable shot in a warzone like this can be a key to huge success, and thus there is massive temptation going on to spice up images a bit. It has nothing to do with ideology.

Mod fucked around with this message on 08-20-2006 at 03:55 PM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 08-20-2006 03:54:53 PM
Journalists doing their damndest to make anything military related look evil, zomg, this is new.

I wish they would all die in a fire.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-20-2006 03:58:12 PM
quote:
Led had this to say about John Romero:
Journalists doing their damndest to make anything military related look evil, zomg, this is new.

I wish they would all die in a fire.

The situation in Lebanon is not an utter catastrophe in which thousands of innocents have lost their lives or have been reduced to fleeing with the clothes on their backs. I'd like to see how you are going to categorize it as anything other than evil. A terrible accident perhaps?

Mod fucked around with this message on 08-20-2006 at 03:58 PM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Sean
posted 08-20-2006 04:04:52 PM
Maradon's still pissed that Murrow ruined his fun.

Sean fucked around with this message on 08-20-2006 at 04:05 PM.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 08-20-2006 04:05:21 PM
quote:
Verily, Mod doth proclaim:
The situation in Lebanon is not an utter catastrophe in which thousands of innocents have lost their lives or have been reduced to fleeing with the clothes on their backs. I'd like to see how you are going to categorize it as anything other than evil. A terrible accident perhaps?

These things happen in war. There is no way to keep civillian death and destitution from occuring when a country is at war, whether they are the aggressor or the defender. Unfortunately for the Lebanon civillians, they happen to live in a place that a hostile force chose to carry out their missions against Israel. When Israel retaliated, they dropped leaflets and so on to warn the civillians against the impending strikes so they could evacuate.

When Hezbollah attacked Israel, they did not do this.

And I hate to break it to you, but once an entity is identified as giving aide to the opposing force during a conflict, then they become a military target. If a civillian gives shelter to the Hezbollah troops, then that civillian's dwelling becomes a military target, just like a factory who supplies food, weapons, parts, etc, becomes a military target.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-20-2006 06:03:48 PM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about Knight Rider:
These things happen in war. There is no way to keep civillian death and destitution from occuring when a country is at war, whether they are the aggressor or the defender. Unfortunately for the Lebanon civillians, they happen to live in a place that a hostile force chose to carry out their missions against Israel. When Israel retaliated, they dropped leaflets and so on to warn the civillians against the impending strikes so they could evacuate.

When Hezbollah attacked Israel, they did not do this.

I made no statement comparing Hisbollah and Israel.

Yes these things happen during war, which is why waging war is incredibly hard to call anything but an evil act in the vast majority of cases.

You're operating from the unspoken assumption that war being an everyday thing is anything but a catastrophic state of affairs, but if you apply any moral standard to which you would hold individuals, or non-state groups of individuals to states, you can barely ever justify war. A non-sovereign group of people deciding to take actions which result in massive civillian death while pursuing their "interests" would instantly be branded a terrorist group. The sheer frequency of war tends to dull people towards the level of transgression which even the most humanely led war possible within current technical possibility represents.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-20-2006 07:16:52 PM
So what should we do instead of war?
Skaw
posted 08-20-2006 09:07:59 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Robocop:

Accept global diversity and hold hands under rainbows and sunshine, obviously.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 08-20-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Nina
posted 08-20-2006 09:30:11 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Tron:

Nuke them all.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-21-2006 01:35:19 AM
Mod, in a perfect world we wouldn't need to do this.

However, all we need is one immoral person to force the rest of us into the neccesary evil.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 08-21-2006 08:48:15 AM
LOL Im using the internets, the world doesnt exist anymore ;D
Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-21-2006 03:08:08 PM
quote:
Verily, Elvish Crack Piper doth proclaim:
Mod, in a perfect world we wouldn't need to do this.

However, all we need is one immoral person to force the rest of us into the neccesary evil.

There's a difference between goodness and a lesser evil. I admit that in some situations war can be a lesser evil, but it cannot be, in any form in which it has been ever waged throughout history, be good.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-21-2006 05:41:09 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Mod:
There's a difference between goodness and a lesser evil. I admit that in some situations war can be a lesser evil, but it cannot be, in any form in which it has been ever waged throughout history, be good.

Good and evil are purely subjective terms.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-21-2006 05:55:51 PM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Good and evil are purely subjective terms.

Human suffering being bad tends to be a somewhat consistent value. However the contention is valid, if you're operating from a standpoint from which human life is not valuable war is probably a fun pasttime. I'm the last guy to be closed to forms of moral relativism, but when it comes to some guy being blown into bits because he happened to be born in the wrong place, it's hard to find a consistent system of values which is not somewhere in the ballpark of Nazism in which this is anything less than terrible.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-21-2006 06:27:28 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mod wrote:
Human suffering being bad tends to be a somewhat consistent value. However the contention is valid, if you're operating from a standpoint from which human life is not valuable war is probably a fun pasttime. I'm the last guy to be closed to forms of moral relativism, but when it comes to some guy being blown into bits because he happened to be born in the wrong place, it's hard to find a consistent system of values which is not somewhere in the ballpark of Nazism in which this is anything less than terrible.

On the contrary, I do not see all human suffering as being bad, nor do most schools of thought. The punitive nature of most legal systems is proof of this.

Sean
posted 08-21-2006 06:32:43 PM
Did everyone miss this?

quote:
Sean got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Maradon's still pissed that Murrow ruined his fun.

It was fucking funny.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 08-21-2006 06:36:13 PM
quote:
Mod's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

So is it your contention then that rather than fighting the Civil War, the U.S. government should have let the states of the Confederacy go their own way and accept the continuation of the institution of slavery? That even as evil as slavery is, war to end it and set people free shouldn't be fought? Doesn't that qualify as a "good" war?

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-21-2006 06:40:51 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Callalron said:
So is it your contention then that rather than fighting the Civil War, the U.S. government should have let the states of the Confederacy go their own way and accept the continuation of the institution of slavery? That even as evil as slavery is, war to end it and set people free shouldn't be fought? Doesn't that qualify as a "good" war?

I was under the impression that the whle "the civil war was about slavery" thing was just something they told elementary school kids to make it sound like a good thing without having to go into much detail and that in the later years of school the more immediate causes were revealed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure ending slavery wasn't much more than an afterthought

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 08-21-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 08-21-2006 06:51:16 PM
IT WAS ABOUT STATES'S RIGHTS!
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-21-2006 08:46:10 PM
quote:
This one time, at Kegwen camp:
I was under the impression that the whle "the civil war was about slavery" thing was just something they told elementary school kids to make it sound like a good thing without having to go into much detail and that in the later years of school the more immediate causes were revealed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure ending slavery wasn't much more than an afterthought

There was alot of things that led to it, but slavery was a major part of it. Mostly the south didn't want to give it up because it was going to destroy their entire social and economic structures.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 08-21-2006 10:04:17 PM
Yeah, here's a little clue for you all. "State's rights" is a code phrase for slavery, and later, segregation. Lincoln didn't pitch the war as being about slavery because he knew there was about zero support amongst the general population of the North, outside of abolitionist circles, to go marching off to war on behalf of Negro slaves. So he had to sell the conflict in terms of preserving the union.

On the other hand, it is totally disingenuous for the South to claim the war was about state's rights too. Especially when you consider the fact that the Confederate Constitution is practically a word-for-word lift of the U.S. Constitution, with the major and notable exception of the fact that the right to hold slaves is specifically mentioned and protected. So apparently they were more than willing to live under the U.S. Constitution, just not under a Republican administration that they felt would take away their slaves.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-21-2006 10:19:53 PM
quote:
Kegwen wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

A great deal of it was fought over economics. The south's major economy was agriculture.

Can you guess who worked in the fields?

Steven Steve
posted 08-21-2006 10:29:07 PM
Paul Bunyan
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 08-22-2006 01:28:33 AM
What I can't believe is that anyone thought the Lebanon photo would pass for real.
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-22-2006 03:33:25 PM
quote:
Callalron stopped beating up furries long enough to write:

I wasn't a 'good' war, it was a terrible war which killed a whole boatload of people, it was probably less bad than the South continuing to enslave people for generations though.

Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 08-22-2006 03:58:03 PM
You know what I love? Fried chicken and watermelon. Seriously i know its usually associated in a derogatory way towards blacks but that shits good man. Seriously give me a bucket and a slice of some juicey melons and we can have a fucking PARTY.

save the grape soda though that shits nasty

Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-22-2006 04:08:26 PM
quote:
So quoth Mod:
I wasn't a 'good' war, it was a terrible war which killed a whole boatload of people, it was probably less bad than the South continuing to enslave people for generations though.

So you don't think good and righteous are the same?

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-22-2006 04:56:51 PM
quote:
Naimah's fortune cookie read:
So you don't think good and righteous are the same?

I don't think it was righteous either, I think it was a terrible deed that was done to prevent an even worse outcome, i.e., shipwreck victims killing and eating a badly wounded person in order to survive. There isn't really anything righteous about that, the fact that it had to happen is a tragedy.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-22-2006 07:16:41 PM
Righteous is only doing what is only doing an objective good when a more humane subjective solution exists.

Yes, the civil war was the lesser of two evils, another way to look at it is to put the point where evil and good meet at the "Slavery Continues" and to the left of that is good, which is where the civil war fall (and mad amounts of friend chicken and watermelon.)

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Peter
Pancake
posted 08-22-2006 10:25:43 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Cadga 2.0 wrote:
... juicey melons .....

Nothing is ever wrong with juicey melons, the world could use more of them

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: