EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: another gimme recipies thread
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 08-16-2006 08:45:37 PM
I like cooking, but I'm not too great at it and I'm always broke.

Gimme ideas for shit I can make for dinner for myself (1 person meals) for either really cheap or with stuff I can find already in the house more than likely.

I'm sick of Chef Boyardee and Ramen Noodles whenever I get hungry.

Also, to judge my skill, I was impressed with myself by making an omelette correct a couple minutes ago. I would like to get better with practice on harder stuff though.

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 08-16-2006 at 08:46 PM.

Skaw
posted 08-16-2006 09:13:18 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I'm sick of Chef Boyardee and Ramen Noodles whenever I get hungry.

You are not human.

Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 08-16-2006 09:17:35 PM
Eggs bacon cheese bread
Its a manly meal I dont care what anyone says
Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 08-16-2006 10:36:19 PM
Chicken and rice.

I dont always make the chicken with it, and I usually just make the rice without the other veggies.

Its very yummy.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Burger
BANNED!
posted 08-17-2006 01:57:53 AM
CLAM CHOWDAH:

Ingredients:
2 tblsp - butter
1 1/2 - medium leeks, thinly sliced
8 ounces - red potatoes, peeled, cut into halves
2 cups - CLAM JUICE! DRINK IT! DRINK IT DOWN!!! ahem...
2 tblsp - fresh thyme chopped finely (or 2 tsp dried)
1/2 cup - heavy cream
1/2 pound - haddock, cut into 1-inch pieces
salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 tsp - cooked bacon, crumbled for a garnish

Prep:

1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Make sure it's not too hot.
If it burns even slightly, the recipe is fucked.

2. Add the leeks and cover it. You just want to sweat the leeks a bit,
stirring occasionally. When they're a little soft (about three minutes)...

3. Add the potatoes, stirring for about a minute.

4. Add the CLAM JUICE!!!!! and the thyme and bring to a boil.

5. Cover the pot, reduce heat to medium low and allow it to just simmer
(about 6 minutes)

6. Add the cream and return the mixture to a simmer.

7. Add the fish and simmer UNCOVERED until the potatoes are tender and the
fish is opaque in the center (about 5 minutes)

8. Sprinkle bacon over every serving

9. Season well with salt and pepper (to taste, really, but it takes a bit).

And that's it. Leftovers are still great the next day, and it's a damn fine chowder.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-17-2006 02:17:44 AM
In the freezer section, you can find "Skillet Sensations" or similar that SAY they serve 2, but really serve one (They assume you have a side dish I guess) that are easy (just heat and eat) quick to clean and taste great.

There's a chicken and noodles one with little onion things, green beans and peas that tastes great when parmesan cheese is liberally applied.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-17-2006 02:18:08 AM
Chicken Parmesan (Quick version)

Chicken Breasts
Bread crumbs (you can also use crushed corn flakes, crackers, etc)
1-2 eggs (depending on how much you're having, 1 egg should be good for 4 pieces)
Olive oil
1 jar of whatever your favorite red spaghetti sauce is
1-2 slices mozzarella cheese per each breast
Grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400.

Heat olive oil in pan.

Pour bread crumbs onto flat plate.

Beat egg in separate bowl.

Bread chicken breasts by dipping it into the egg first, then dredging it in the crumbs.

Place chicken breasts in pan for approximately 20-25 seconds per side in order to fry the breading onto the chicken.

Transfer chicken to baking dish.

Layer each piece of chicken with mozzarella cheese (using more or less if you want) and then liberally cover chicken with spaghetti sauce.

Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, give or take. 20 is the guideline for about 4 breasts, you may do a little bit less if you're just doing 1 or 2 or if they're small, and maybe a little more if they're particularly thick.

Cut into the thickest part of the thickest breast to make sure it's done all the way through. If it is, sprinkle each with parmesan cheese to taste. If not, cook it more. Duh .

I realize this isn't "true" chicken parmesan, but it's fairly quick and easy, and the recipe can be easily scaled to suit whatever your serving needs are.

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 08-17-2006 at 02:19 AM.

nem-x
posted 08-17-2006 05:09:37 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Delphi Aegis wrote:
In the freezer section, you can find "Skillet Sensations" or similar that SAY they serve 2, but really serve one (They assume you have a side dish I guess) that are easy (just heat and eat) quick to clean and taste great.

FATTY MCFATKINS

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 08-17-2006 05:57:33 AM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Punky Brewster:
FATTY MCFATKINS

e:f,b

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 08-17-2006 04:14:34 PM
One of my co-workers swears by bacon spaghetti.

Apparently, the grease from the bacon can also double as sauce.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-17-2006 04:24:06 PM
Get a thing of frozen hamburgers, some buns, and a freezer bag of fries. Easiest meal you'll ever make, assuming you have a George Foreman. or similar grill that knocks out the fat.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-17-2006 08:55:08 PM
Eggs are tasty and fairly cheap, scramble or sunnyside up a pair and you have a decent meal. Bread and cheese with a little bit of butter and you have yourself a pretty good grilled cheese. Get a pack of ramen, not the cup stuff, throw out the flavor pack boil it up then throw on some ragu and you have yourself a nice quick meal of spegetti. Always keep turkey, mayo, and mustard in the the fridge and you can make yourself quick turkey sandwiches. Then there is the obligatory PB&J. Milk, two eggs, and two slices of bread net you french toast.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-17-2006 11:31:00 PM
Sprinkle shredded cheese such as colby jack or one of those "mexican style" blends they sell on a tortilla, then microwave for about a minute. Cheese should be mostly melted. Fold over tortilla, wait a little bit for it to cool, then enjoy.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-18-2006 03:59:56 AM
Yo, fool.

Ground turkey tastes remarkably similar to ground beef, perhaps even a little better, and it's totally good for you. Take two, low-carb tortillas and grill up your ground turkey; add some taco seasoning and a little hotsauce. Then sprinkle some cheese on it, toast it between two tortillas and you have an awesome little healthy quesadilla snack.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-18-2006 06:09:16 AM
Should pick up the "A Man, A Can..." series. There's like three now. "A Man, A Can, A Plan", "A Man, A Can, A Microwave", and "A Man, A Plan, A Grill"

The theory with those books is that all the recipes are simple to make (which I can vouch for), cheap (which I can vouch for), healthy, and taste good (which I can vouch for). Some really kickass ideas in them too. I highly recommend the series.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Peter
Pancake
posted 08-18-2006 06:57:59 AM
I like to use ground turkey to make tacos.

Simple way to make Tacos.

In a large skillet brown some ground turkey or Beef

Drain any excess oil\grease

put the sillet back on the Stove at a low heat

Toss in Taco Sause(Not salsa) to taste, You can go light for dry meat or heavy for soemthing a bit more sloppy.

Thats it, Next step is to grab a shell and what ever topping you choose.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 08-18-2006 02:58:50 PM
Thanks for the ideas, guys.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-18-2006 05:01:43 PM
Turkey tacos seem to take the taco flavoring better, I've noticed.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-18-2006 05:50:31 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan said this about your mom:
Yo, fool.

Ground turkey tastes remarkably similar to ground beef, perhaps even a little better, and it's totally good for you. Take two, low-carb tortillas and grill up your ground turkey; add some taco seasoning and a little hotsauce. Then sprinkle some cheese on it, toast it between two tortillas and you have an awesome little healthy quesadilla snack.

Yeah, I always use ground turkey when i make hamburger helper.

It is pretty ccheap too

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 08-18-2006 08:36:32 PM
found this on a random link.. test it out.

SPAM SWISS PIE

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Deep dish pie shell (9")
6 Eggs
1 c Whipping cream
1/8 t Pepper
1 cn SPAM Luncheon Meat, cubed
-(12 oz)
1/4 c Chopped onion
2 c Shredded Swiss cheese,
-divided

Heat oven to 425'F. Bake pie shell 6-8 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350'F. In bowl, beat together eggs, whipping cream, and pepper. Stir in SPAM and onion. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese in pie shell. Pour egg mixture over cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese over egg. Bake 45-55 minutes or until eggs are set.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: