EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Does having a huge force of troops/ships guarantee victory in an RTS?
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 08-15-2006 09:08:03 AM
I've been getting back into playing Star Wars Empire at War (and I'm hoping to grab the expansion pack AND the map editor I keep hearing about). Problem is that I can't seem to get out of building up a giant sized attack force to win. Against the computer it seems to be fine, but how about against human opponents?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-15-2006 09:19:47 AM
Nope. I've crushed huge armies in R:TW and R:TR with smaller forces of superiorly-manuevered troops. Use terrain, setup ambushes, outflank, feign retreats, they all work against people who have no understanding of tactics.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-15-2006 09:23:44 AM
No, but it helps.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 08-15-2006 09:35:53 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Tarquinn wrote:
No, but it helps.

Yep. Make sure your army is well balanced, and not just one unit type. Or if you do a specialization, that it's for the task at hand.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-15-2006 09:36:12 AM
I'd say that skill will trump greater units to an extent, but you need to work on your micro ability for when you find people who can play better, and do the economy aspect of RTS as good or better than you.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Maradon!
posted 08-15-2006 10:59:45 AM
No, but uber-micro does.
Gadani
U
posted 08-15-2006 11:07:11 AM
quote:
From the book of Karnaj, chapter 3, verse 16:
Nope. I've crushed huge armies in R:TW and R:TR with smaller forces of superiorly-manuevered troops. Use terrain, setup ambushes, outflank, feign retreats, they all work against people who have no understanding of tactics.

I know what R:TW is, but what's R:TR?

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-15-2006 11:11:27 AM
That's a somewhat stupid question. It depends on the mechanics of the game.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-15-2006 11:40:44 AM
quote:
Gadani still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:
I know what R:TW is, but what's R:TR?

Rome: Total Realism. It's a total conversion mod that makes the entire game more historically accurate and significantly harder. As I understand it, it's been exhaustively researched, and this means you get:

• Over 200 brand new units
  • An updated, larger map. You get probably double the regions and cities of the original map. It's now extended to enclude all of Great Britain, more of Scandinavia, The Arabian Peninsula, and everything up to Western India
  • Seventeen playable, historical factions: The Roman Republic (no more three Roman factions + Senate), Greece, Macedon, Carthage, Numidia, Iberia, Gaul, Germania, Illyria, Thrace, Sarmatia, Pontus, Seleucia, the Ptolemaic Empire, Armenia, Parthia, and the Greco-Bactrians.
  • The game starts as the world was in 280 B.C. This means that Phyrus of Epirus has a huge Greek army on the Southern Italian peninsula, as well as holding two cities on the south. The Gauls have all of northern Italy, and Carthage owns a good chunk of Sicily. In the east, the Seleucids have a huge empire (a whopping 33 regions) stretching from Asia Minor to India.

It's basically a whole new game. My one complaint is that it becomes a goddamn siegefest, but that's how ancient warfare went, so.

Karnaj fucked around with this message on 08-15-2006 at 11:44 AM.

• That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Gadani
    U
    posted 08-15-2006 11:47:32 AM
    Oh, cool.

I love R:TW and I'll see about getting this mod.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 08-15-2006 11:49:22 AM
    zerging ftw

always

Karnaj
    Road Warrior Queef
    posted 08-15-2006 11:53:36 AM
    quote:
    Gadani got served! Gadani got served!
    Oh, cool.

I love R:TW and I'll see about getting this mod.

This is the real site.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Beer.

Peter
    Pancake
    posted 08-15-2006 12:14:52 PM
    It all depends on the game.

In Homeworld you had to have a good mix of units. nothing like looking at that fleet of Ion Frigets get ripped to shreds by corvettes and fighters.

In warcraft @ you could get away with churning out an endless way of knights

Toktuk
    Pooh Ogre
    Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
    posted 08-15-2006 01:09:02 PM
    It's heavily dependant on the resource model the game uses. Turtling up with a mass force is more effective in a game with limited resources, although you still need to expand somewhat to make sure you don't fall too far behind.

In a game with unlimited resources like Total Annihilation or Dawn of War, map control is the most important aspect to winning. Winning comes down to who can apply the most consistant pressure on their opponent over the course of the game and you have to fuel that pressure with a constant stream of resources.

-H

Hellbender fucked around with this message on 08-15-2006 at 01:12 PM.

Gadani
    U
    posted 08-15-2006 01:11:50 PM
    quote:
    Karnaj probably says this to all the girls:
    This is the real site.

That link doesn't work.

Toktuk
    Pooh Ogre
    posted 08-15-2006 01:14:18 PM
    Karnaj
    Road Warrior Queef
    posted 08-15-2006 01:16:45 PM
    quote:
    The propaganda machine of Gadani's junta released this statement:
    That link doesn't work.

I'm aware. The .com site is, however, an imposter, so I needed to point that out. Lest you download a virus or something.

Beer.

Gadani
    U
    posted 08-15-2006 01:28:42 PM
    What the fuck is Google?

No, seriously though, I was just letting him know that the page he linked didn't work.

Gadani
    U
    posted 08-15-2006 01:29:41 PM
    quote:
    Karnaj thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
    I'm aware. The .com site is, however, an imposter, so I needed to point that out. Lest you download a virus or something.

Oh, thanks.

Is the .org coming back up, or what?

Karnaj
    Road Warrior Queef
    posted 08-15-2006 01:36:08 PM
    quote:
    Gadani screamed this from the crapper:
    Oh, thanks.

Is the .org coming back up, or what?

Got me. You should be able to download the mod on one of the game download site thingies, like FileShack or CockStorm.

Beer.

Liam
    Swims in Erotic Circles
    posted 08-15-2006 01:55:50 PM
    It's like Kenn isn't capable of independant thought so he muddles over these topics, giving about a days worth of thought to them, and then posting to EC.
    Toktuk
    Pooh Ogre
    posted 08-15-2006 02:49:19 PM
    I think it's his really horrible way of initiating conversation. I have an Asian friend that usually starts conversations with me in the same way.

Asking about what kind of tactics people use successfully in a given game would have probably been more productive, especially if it was done on a forum dedicated to a specific game or the genre in general.

-H

Skaw
    posted 08-15-2006 07:34:07 PM
    quote:
    Mortious was listening to Cher while typing:
    zerging ftw

always

Zerging relies on one basic idea: Your opponent is a complete idiot.

On the subject at hand, why was building walls not added in to WC3? It was a great feature in WC2.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 08-15-2006 at 07:35 PM.

Rodent King
    Stabbed in the Eye
    posted 08-17-2006 12:42:42 AM
    It was kinda depressing watching a Korean championship match of Starcraft off Youtube a while back. Instead of carefully played out tactics and a longrunning game of military genius it went like this:

Both players make their SCV's/Drones farm minerals.

Both players make a spawning pool/barracks.

Both players churn out 6 zerglings/3 marines.

Both players send out said marines/zerglings to the field.

Both players find each other, send in their SCV's/Drones to help fight.

Crowd yells, terrans kill the last zergling, GG.

A game designed with a huge array of units and upgrades designed to carefully counter out each other across three different factions reduced to charging in with the first 2 units you can make. It was a big letdown.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
    Cadga 2.0
    Pancake
    posted 08-17-2006 08:39:36 AM
    quote:
    Rodent King got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
    It was kinda depressing watching a Korean championship match of Starcraft off Youtube a while back. Instead of carefully played out tactics and a longrunning game of military genius it went like this:

Both players make their SCV's/Drones farm minerals.

Both players make a spawning pool/barracks.

Both players churn out 6 zerglings/3 marines.

Both players send out said marines/zerglings to the field.

Both players find each other, send in their SCV's/Drones to help fight.

Crowd yells, terrans kill the last zergling, GG.

A game designed with a huge array of units and upgrades designed to carefully counter out each other across three different factions reduced to charging in with the first 2 units you can make. It was a big letdown.

Thats why I dont play PUB games in SC... i hate rushing .. its stupid .. if i want a quick game ill play Unreal Tourny

Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
    "Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
    Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 08-17-2006 09:10:22 AM
    quote:
    Skaw said:
    Zerging relies on one basic idea: Your opponent is a complete idiot.

Most of the time, they are.

Karnaj
    Road Warrior Queef
    posted 08-17-2006 09:20:53 AM
    And the game you're playing better include units that don't cut and run when things are going bad.

Beer.

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: