EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So about Cars again
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 08-09-2006 03:54:57 PM
So last time I went looking for a new car Cathy ended up getting one.
We are at the point now where we can afford a second newer car, therefore I am bak in the market. I am scaling back my price range due to little things like a construction loan and wanting to get some other nice new toys.

So what is out there that you all like. I am looking for something no older than 2003, a V6 with no less than 200HP, 4 doors, and at least semi-practical.

Right now I am looking at a slightly used Passat, Accord, or perhaps a new Fusion. My price range is in the low to mid 20s.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-09-2006 04:05:50 PM
If you have 23-24 grand or so to play around with, I would suggest looking at a new Camry. You get 268 ponies, a six speed automatic, and pretty good fuel economy for a six cylinder engine. Plus you have the advantage of it being a new car.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 08-09-2006 04:50:00 PM
Get an Impala.

http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/

Edit: needs slashy

Reynar fucked around with this message on 08-09-2006 at 04:50 PM.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 08-09-2006 05:21:20 PM
If I was to get a new Impala it would be the SS, which is just a bit out of my price range.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Burger
BANNED!
posted 08-10-2006 01:26:52 AM
How about:

2004 Caddy CTS (with the 3.6)
2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type S
2005 Chrysler 300
2003 Infinity G35
2003/2004 Infinity I35
2003 Lincoln LS (with the 3.9L V8)
2003/2004 Nissan Maxima
2003 Mercedes C320 (maybe)
2005 Subaru Legacy GT (only a 4-banger, but subaru does them well. 250HP supercharged)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (break the budget for the ultimate rice rocket?)
2004 Toyota Avalon
2004 Volvo S60 2.5T (inline 5-cylinder turbo)

The sporty side of things has the acura, the Lincoln, the subaru.
The opulent side of things has the Chrysler, the toyota, the volvo, the infinity I35.
The mix of sport and comfort is the G35, the Maxima, the benz.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 08-11-2006 12:25:18 AM
The subaru is turbocharged, but yeah- that is my recomendation.
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 08-11-2006 12:39:37 AM
quote:
Reynar's account was hax0red to write:
Get an Impala.

http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/

Edit: needs slashy

Only person I've known to own an Impala has had constant trouble with it, starting about 6 months after he got it. Was 100% brand new when purchased, and he doesn't even drive it much aside from to and from work. Think it was a 2003, maybe 2004.

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 08-11-2006 03:40:22 AM
How refined of a driving experience are you looking for? My gut reaction is to recommend something like a 2004 Acura TL here, but depending on how sporty or cushy of a car you want, that can of course change.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 08-11-2006 08:27:37 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Vallo said this:
Only person I've known to own an Impala has had constant trouble with it, starting about 6 months after he got it. Was 100% brand new when purchased, and he doesn't even drive it much aside from to and from work. Think it was a 2003, maybe 2004.

Don't turn this into a "a guy I know says X", because for every story where someone had a bad experience with a car, there's a story about a good experience with the same exact same car. It always happens in car threads it seems.

For instance, I've had one for two years, with zero problems. Wow that sure proves a lot doesn't it?

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-11-2006 04:01:34 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Karnaj squealed:
If you have 23-24 grand or so to play around with, I would suggest looking at a new Camry. You get 268 ponies, a six speed automatic, and pretty good fuel economy for a six cylinder engine. Plus you have the advantage of it being a new car.

qft

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 08-12-2006 11:30:58 AM
You have a pretty good price range. You can get an '06 Magnum (yum yum) with low mileage (gotta love EP pricing) for under that. Or go for something really new like the '07 Calibers. Both have nice cargo space in the back and four doors (okay, and I like the fact that it has the cooling area in the glove box for drinks).

Not sure about anything older, sorry :/

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 08-12-2006 07:01:48 PM
quote:
Reynar painfully thought these words up:
Don't turn this into a "a guy I know says X", because for every story where someone had a bad experience with a car, there's a story about a good experience with the same exact same car. It always happens in car threads it seems.

For instance, I've had one for two years, with zero problems. Wow that sure proves a lot doesn't it?

I never said that I heard it from him. I lived with him. I saw it.

Second point, someone wants opinions/information on cars. It's provided. Wow.

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 08-14-2006 02:28:31 AM
Having been back in automotive now and having worked on a number of different vehicles over the years I too would recommend the Toyota Camry. My mom has owned 3 of them now and has never had a major issue.

As for the list from above...

quote:
How about:

2004 Caddy CTS (with the 3.6) Cadillac has always been the "test bed" for GM. I've found many of them to be quirky or outright mistakes. It took over 12 years for the Northstar V8 to be refined enough to be moved into the Buick/Olds market.

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type S Overpriced Honda... buy an Accord EX with the V6 and manual trans and use the savings to get some new tires and a nice stereo.

2005 Chrysler 300 A V8 with lousy gas milage. Very nice looking car I suppose, but I'd get a Charger if I could afford the gas... (or hope that they make the Challenger concept (2 door) from the car show)

2003 Infinity G35 Overpriced IMO. Can't remember if this is a Mazda or Nissan and haven't been overly impressed with what I've seen.

2003/2004 Infinity I35 See above

2003 Lincoln LS (with the 3.9L V8) V8 once again, yucky milage even if it is a small V8. Have never been impressed with Lincoln.

2003/2004 Nissan Maxima Nice cars but can't get over the fact that Nissan is owned/partnered with Renault now

2003 Mercedes C320 (maybe) Hate most german cars because doing a 4 wheel alignment is a bitch. You need 150lbs in both front seats, 150 lbs in the back seat. 46 lbs in the trunk and a full tank of gas. Same with BMW. VW/Audi aren't much better for working on.

2005 Subaru Legacy GT (only a 4-banger, but subaru does them well. 250HP supercharged) Decent cars with long track records and easy to work on. Only real issues from the 2000 and later Subaru's were some strut springs breaking (recall) I'd consider this after a Toyota or Nissan

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (break the budget for the ultimate rice rocket?) Dear Lord these are fun to drive!

2004 Toyota Avalon. Nice vehicle, I'm torn between and Avalon or a Camry for my next car because of the slight size difference. Kids are getting too tall...

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T (inline 5-cylinder turbo) Dear Lord NO NO NO NO NO!!! It's the bastard child of the Ford worldwide family. Boxy and BORING!

http://www.bloodfin.net
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: