EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Guild Wars
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 08-03-2006 07:47:41 PM
I've been missing doing online gaming and was considering giving Guild Wars a try because it is (after the initial purchase) free.

Anyone here play? At the very least I'm looking for second opinions.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Flea
Pancake
posted 08-03-2006 08:03:20 PM
Never played it myself, but when it came out and hundreds of people were posting on the WoW forums before it came out claiming that it was going to surpass WoW and would be WoW's downfall stopped after it came out. All my guildies who quit to play it came back a week later. Now I'm not comparing it to WoW, just saying that it doesn't seem to hold peoples interests for long.
Skaw
posted 08-03-2006 10:43:46 PM
3D Diablo on the Lineage II Engine. Yeah, that about sums it up.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-04-2006 05:11:51 AM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about Cuba:
3D Diablo on the Lineage II Engine. Yeah, that about sums it up.

+ PVP arenas.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 08-04-2006 09:01:30 AM
I played for about a month. It was pretty cool for the first while, but you can tell that it probably takes second seat to the company's other projects. My peeves with it:

No name restrictions. No behavioral code. You have people with retarded ass names cybering in the middle of towns in the common chat.

Lack of variety. I think the other online games spoiled me for character customization and quest content.

Again, lack of variety, this time with equipment. There's not much to it.

Its geared more to PVP than anything else. I dont particularly like PVP, so...

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 08-04-2006 11:47:53 AM
I'm not really into PvP either. I suppose I'll leave it be for now.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 08-06-2006 10:41:34 PM
Tried it for a few months, since for some reason, I could play it in spite of the campus daytime firewall restrictions. It was reasonably enjoyable, except that soloing grows to be more and more difficult the higher you go, til it's nigh impossible. Though they give you npc 'henchmen' to help with this, they're not as smart as regular players, so you have to interact with other players.

This wouldn't be that terrible, except that balanced groups are hard to make, plus there's a healthy amount of morons. While the 2-class per player system was nifty, a lot of people chose the same mix, especially monk for healer capability. And since the story-based missions were often needed to progress through the world, it was often a 'hit-or-miss'. Not too different from WoW instances now that I think on it, but it was more 'miss' often than not.

And I guess that it did get kinda repetitive, but at least you could learn new skills fairly often, and get new equipment as you progressed. What kind of killed it for me was that dying was inevitable, due to fun aggro problems, especially with the henchmen, and while you didn't lose exp, you did progressively get lower and lower stats til you had to go back to a town and restart the instanced zone. While it was ok if you had decent strategy and a group of players, there were still some occasional wtf encounters, like fighting on a bridge with enemies hitting you from below with ranged attacks and spells.

So in short, it's a decent diversion, but I wouldn't expect much long-term enjoyment from it.

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-07-2006 12:34:39 AM
quote:
Azrael Heavenblade impressed everyone with:
What kind of killed it for me was that dying was inevitable, due to fun aggro problems, especially with the henchmen

Eventually I just stopped bringing the Monk henchmen because she'd ALWAYS get aggro and die almost EVERY battle regardless of how the battle went. After wasting the revive signet and having her die again, it just wasn't worth keeping her.

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 08-07-2006 at 12:35 AM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: