EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Israeli/Lebonese Conflict: Thought it couldn't get worse
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-03-2006 06:06:19 PM
quote:
Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi called for a U.N.-backed force to stabilize the Israeli-Lebanon border. Muslims "must show preparedness to contribute forces for peacekeeping operations under the United Nations banner," Abdullah told the conference.

That quote is from this artical. I'm pretty sure the last thing that Israel wants right now is Iranian soldiers camped out on their boarder, under the banner of the United Nations or not.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 08-03-2006 06:15:33 PM
I fail to see how the leader of one of the largest Islamic countries in the world calling on all Muslims to do their part to establish peace in the region is a bad thing.

But I'm not as stupid as you so maybe I'm just missing something.

Steven Steve
posted 08-03-2006 07:42:58 PM
NOW I'M RADIOACTIVE! THAT CAN'T BE GOOD!
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 08-03-2006 09:21:16 PM
quote:
From the book of Snoota, chapter 3, verse 16:
I fail to see how the leader of one of the largest Islamic countries in the world calling on all Muslims to do their part to establish peace in the region is a bad thing.

Because this line follows not long after the first.

quote:
"Although the main solution is for the elimination of the Zionist regime, at this stage an immediate ceasefire must be implemented," Ahmadinejad said, according to Iranian television.

So would you want troops from a country who sees the only solution as the destruction of your country stationed on your border?

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-03-2006 10:05:10 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Snoota stammered:

But I'm not as stupid as you so maybe I'm just missing something.

Apparenlty you have not been listening to the rehtoric that he has been spewing for the last 12 months or so. The president of Iran wants to see Israel, and all jews for that matter, killed. That kind of presence is not what you would call condusive to peace.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-03-2006 10:46:27 PM
I didn't read the article, but...

Iran's president wouldn't be who he is if he didn't insert a "wipe out Israel" shot into every other sentence. Dude probably orders toilet paper with a commentary on how he wishes his poop would land on the leaders of the Zionist regime.

From what I understand, this is really a play by Iran to be acknowledged as the major player in the middle east. They could turn Hezbollah off pretty easily...but the United States would have to deal with them directly, meaning we'd have to acknowledge them. Which we don't want to do. Syria looks about ready to play ball, because THEY want to be recognized as the premiere player in the area, but we don't like them either. We like Jordan and Saudi Arabia and to some extent we like Egypt, but their clout in the Middle East these days is laughable.

The thing that worries me about this situation with Israel is that it's forcing a bad choice. Here's the deal: We could, in a straight WW2 style conflict, kick serious ass. But to do that is to not turn back. You've given up on talking out the problems, sort of thing. These little "kick over the government and start stomping roaches" thing is proving to 1. cause a chain reaction we can't contain or control, and 2. something we can't make work in the best of circumstances because we're too busy jumping from conflict to conflict, and now we're overextending, and we don't have enough actual support on the ground.

Worse, Israel seems to be going out of it's way to piss off people who might otherwise be willing to back their play. Britain and most of Europe were tentatively saying Israel had a right to defend itself, but when Israel "accidentally on purpose" started hitting UN observers and denying any sort of cover for humanitarian aid, they suddenly weren't so moderate in letting Israel do it's thing.

Do I think the UN would ever allow Iranians on the border, even (or more to the point, especially) under the auspices of the UN? No. That would be tantamount to picking a side in this. However, Israel is digging itself into a very severe hole here. And the United States, at the moment, isn't exactly in a position to lend them oodles of help, screwed as things are in Iraq and Afghanistan.

There's three ways out of this, as I see it:
1. All out war. WWIII. Know what's worse than a nuke? Economic warfare. Iran has buddies who might not back it militarily, but in a global market, having China and Russia decide to sit on the fence could hurt financially. Likewise, oil prices would go bananas. They don't have to use a nuke; it's better tactically if they don't, because if they do, then the gloves are off. Either everyone gangbangs them for crossing that line, or we glass Iran, and we get gangbanged financially over it.
2. We start talking to people we don't want to acknowledge. We talk directly to Iran and Syria and basically eat the words we've been speaking for the last few years in regards to our Middle East policy. In the end, we kiss a LOT of ass, and by default concede we can't handle things in the Middle East. Iran and Syria (and North Korea because that little pissant will get Notions) parley this into having it all their way.
3. Everybody backs off...we return to detante. United States tells Israel that the point is made, turns it into the "big stick" threat in the area. We called Israel off. This time. Iran calls of Hezbollah. They continue to be a threat. And the next time this happens, we repeat again, except next time things are shittier. Downside is I don't see Iran just giving up in this without any concessions tossed their way, and I don't see Israel backing down.

I just don't see a happy-fun way out of this, even without something silly-ludicrous like putting Iranians on a border with Israel.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-04-2006 07:14:53 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Naimah gently hums:
Apparenlty you have not been listening to the rehtoric that he has been spewing for the last 12 months or so. The president of Iran wants to see Israel, and all jews for that matter, killed. That kind of presence is not what you would call condusive to peace.

Except that you quoted a Malaysian official, whose government has not called for the eradication of Israel. Malaysia borders Thailand, since you're obviously geographically impaired. Malaysia != Iran.

Further, putting troops in the region would require a Security Council resolution, and the US would veto any attempt to put Iranian troops into Lebanon.

So what, exactly, does a quote by the Malaysian PM have to do with Iran wanting to eliminate Israel?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 08-04-2006 10:56:24 AM
quote:
Bloodsage got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Except that you quoted a Malaysian official, whose government has not called for the eradication of Israel. Malaysia borders Thailand, since you're obviously geographically impaired. Malaysia != Iran.

Further, putting troops in the region would require a Security Council resolution, and the US would veto any attempt to put Iranian troops into Lebanon.

So what, exactly, does a quote by the Malaysian PM have to do with Iran wanting to eliminate Israel?

He too wishes to send his poop to the heads of the Zionist regime.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-04-2006 12:02:11 PM
When I was in malaysia, they talked about boom boom alot. I guess they must have been referring to this.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 08-04-2006 12:52:23 PM
FUCK. Where is derek zoolander when you need him?
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 08-04-2006 11:11:19 PM
quote:
So quoth Blindy.:
FUCK. Where is derek zoolander when you need him?

At the bottom of a discount movie bin, WHERE HE BELONGS!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 08-04-2006 11:32:57 PM
quote:
So quoth Mooj:

qft

Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 08-05-2006 06:39:20 AM
quote:
Mooj was naked while typing this:

Hopefully thats because the DVD is acting as a stabiliser for a missing wheel/slightly short leg on the discount bin, rather than being in a place whre someone could mistakenly purchase it...

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 08-05-2006 06:41:27 AM
That's the first rule of conflict in the Middle East: It could always be worse.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-05-2006 11:58:30 AM
Theory.

Russian invaded Afghanistan. The United States intervenes.

Facts:

-Communism, the major force behind Russia, does not work.

-In order for Russia to force a totalitarian regime, they usually eradicate all traces of God or religion. With nothing left to fill the void, they turn to something else (Stalin knew this and used it to dramatic results).

-We are having problems with Moslem fanatics.

What if Russia had conquered Afghanistan? Would they have eradicated Islam and then sent the Afghanis to the shitter?

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 08-05-2006 03:09:29 PM
They would have wiped out the Afghani islamics, but the religion would have continued on.
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-06-2006 03:52:14 AM
It would probably be Chechnya part two by now unless it split away during the collapse of the SU.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: