EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So I picked up guilty gear x2 sharp reload telephone pole banana
Maradon!
posted 08-02-2006 11:44:13 PM
haha, when the FUCK did fighting games get so complicated

My last fighting game was Killer Instinct for the n64 and I thought IT was pretty convoluted with it's C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERS and shit

Here I'm playing around in the practice mode and I've got three whole bars besides my health to worry about, I'm reading about things like False Roman Cancels whatever the FUCK that is, and the move list seems to be telling me to snap the digital pad into several pieces so I can hold six different directions at the same time while spinning around and making a siren noise, which I tried, but the fucking cord isn't long enough and I get tangled and trip.

I'm looking at the move list and going "Well, I hope that move isn't good, because I'll never, ever be able to do it." I'm saying this for about 30% of the moves for every character.

I guess it doesn't help that I bought it used and it didn't come with a manual. Gamefaqs has very little on this game, and what they do have is written in some kind of hyper-futuristic fighting game language with a lexicon that is apparently wholly alien to anybody who hasn't picked up a fighter since Mortal Kombat.

Where can I go to figure out how to play this fucking thing?

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 08-02-2006 11:48:15 PM
Okay, for now just forget about false roman cancels and everything. That shit is too complicated to start with. Play through arcade mode a few times to get acclimated to the game and find a character you're good with.

Ky and Sol make good starter characters. There's only two tricks you're going to want to know to start with.

Sakkra and I are pretty good at the game, so if you've got any questions, feel free to ask.

Maradon!
posted 08-02-2006 11:57:39 PM
I think you forgot to tell me what the two tricks are.

I would sleep with the girls in the game in this order:

1) Dizzy
2) Millia (close second)
3) May
4) Baiken
5) Jam (lost points due to annoying voice)
6) I-NO

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-03-2006 12:13:19 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
6) I-NO

You will quickly lose this lust when trying to beat the game.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 08-03-2006 12:16:05 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Delphi Aegis was all like:
You will quickly lose this lust when trying to beat the game.

You obviously don't know Maradon.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-03-2006 12:17:25 AM
quote:
CBTao impressed everyone with:
You obviously don't know Maradon.

I broke three PS2 controllers fighting I-NO.

That bitch can rot in hell.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 08-03-2006 12:32:43 AM
I'm gay for Bridget.

just sayin

Maradon!
posted 08-03-2006 12:37:12 AM
What kills me about bridget is that he not only looks like a girl but has an extremely feminine voice. Like his parents gelded him, you know, just to be extra safe.

Zappa is fun as hell but crazy hard to play having to keep track of the ghost and your character at the same time.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 08-03-2006 12:39:01 AM
You're gay for Bridget too.

Everyone is.

It's ok.

Maradon!
posted 08-03-2006 12:45:07 AM
Actually, the profile art that flies up just before a match does a pretty good job of making him look like the mangina that he is.
Maradon!
posted 08-03-2006 01:47:34 AM
ok, what's "Burst"?

What's happening when I press all four buttons simultaniously?

What does the move list mean to do when the list of commands is indented? What does it mean when I see two arrows pointing together like this -><- and what does it mean when it has a long "smear" kinda, like this (HS) )))))

Delphi Aegis
posted 08-03-2006 02:11:10 AM
The four buttons simultaneously do like, some super moves. You can bind that to one of the buttons if you want, makes it a bit easier to execute.

I believe the two arrows pointing at one another indicate forward relative to the character. And the smear is pressing and holding the button down.

I think.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-03-2006 02:13:36 AM
quote:
How.... Maradon!.... uughhhhhh:
ok, what's "Burst"?

What's happening when I press all four buttons simultaniously?

What does the move list mean to do when the list of commands is indented? What does it mean when I see two arrows pointing together like this -><- and what does it mean when it has a long "smear" kinda, like this (HS) )))))

Don't know about indentations, but -><- probably means forward then backward. The smear probably means hold or tap rapidly.

Willias fucked around with this message on 08-03-2006 at 02:14 AM.

Sean
posted 08-03-2006 03:00:10 AM
alternatively

pick up Street Fighter: Third Strike

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 08-03-2006 03:50:57 AM
quote:
Oh Sean. Oh Sean! Oh Sean!!;
alternatively

pick up Street Fighter: Third Strike

Note: Third Strike isn't like any Street Fighter game you've played. It relies more on countering/playing safe rather than go balls out.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 08-03-2006 03:53:34 AM
Why dammit, you're absolutely right!

And as a matter of fact, Burst and what you do when you press the four attack buttons are exactly what I was going to tell you!

(Seriously, sorry, Sakkra wanted to get dinner when I was editting what I was typing, and I just forgot about it and hit post.)

First of all, Burst. Burst has two functions. First of all, and this is the most important one in my opinion, is that it can fill your super-meter instantly when you use it when you're not being attacked. All you need to do is hit R1 plus an attack when you're near the enemy, and you'll do a burst technique. It's a circular flash that, if it touches the enemy, will fill your tension meter (super bar) all the way to the top.

The second function is that it will counter almost any technique thrown at it if you use it to counter an attack as it comes in. Same button presses, just different timing is all.

As for hitting all attack buttons at once, it sets you up for your instant death move. All characters except Dizzy have an instant death move. The Instant Death mode drains your tension bar, and when your tension bar is empty it drains your health. However, when in this mode you can execute your instant death move which will kill your opponent instantly if it isn't blocked. All instant death moves are done by doing a double forward quarter-circle fireball motion and hitting heavy slash. (I think that's triangle on the PS2 controller, but I'm not sure.) May is the only character with a different motion, which is a double-forward half circle, also with heavy slash at the end.

Mooj fucked around with this message on 08-03-2006 at 03:55 AM.

Maradon!
posted 08-03-2006 05:11:46 AM
Aw fuck, and Dizzy is like my favorite character so far too.

Pink outfit for the fucking win.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 08-03-2006 06:01:33 AM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

I hear you on that. What really amazes me is how many different colors they gave each character. Something like ten to twelve or so, depending on if you hold down L1 or not.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-03-2006 10:54:08 AM
Going for ID is normally too big of a gamble. A good player will know your characters ID and just play around it when you go into the form and force you to come out after you have wasted all your tension. ID is more the shit I'm about to lose, lets go for something crazy then a bread and butter technique.
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-03-2006 12:17:32 PM
I'm really, really terrible at this game, but if you want to play the computer just play as Kyu and pretend he's Ryu. RIDU RIGHTNING
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Maradon!
posted 08-03-2006 03:02:33 PM
I find myself wishing more of the dialogue was in english.

I mean, Ky and Chipp are american... there really is no excuse for them to be speaking japanese for all their lines.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-03-2006 at 03:04 PM.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-03-2006 05:19:34 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

Well, Dizzy doesn't really need an ID, as her moves chain together ridiculously well.

For instance, if you do reverse fireball and any attack button, it'll launch a little floating drone with a mouth. Depending on what button you press it'll either bite a few times (P or K) or fire a laser (S or HS). Now if the drone hits, you can hit them with other special moves such as forward fireball+S (I think, not 100% sure) to do her short range sickle throw. Her forward+S move is also really good, as it hits quite a few times and is great for filling up super bar.

Abusing her forward+HS (move where her tail turns into a mouth and bites them) and then chaining that to her fireball+HS (makes a spike sprout from the ground quickly) is also quite effective, as the tail move will usually push your opponent back to just the right distance for the spike.

Dizzy, Faust, and Slayer are my 3 favorite characters to play as, though Slayer's a pain in the ass to learn just because of how his movement works.

quote:
Naimah got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Going for ID is normally too big of a gamble. A good player will know your characters ID and just play around it when you go into the form and force you to come out after you have wasted all your tension. ID is more the shit I'm about to lose, lets go for something crazy then a bread and butter technique.

Unless you're playing Axl, as his ID is one of the cheapest things in the game.

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 08-03-2006 at 05:19 PM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-03-2006 05:50:49 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Sakkra stammered:
Unless you're playing Axl, as his ID is one of the cheapest things in the game.

Yes, yes it is. I wish I had ps2 sticks so that I could play it more. Playing on a dpad is just too brutal on my thumb.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 08-03-2006 07:06:57 PM
Now I need to go dig my copy out and relearn Chipp. Bah.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Maradon!
posted 08-09-2006 01:57:16 PM
They really should have named this game "Guilty Gear: I-NO"

She seems to be pretty weak to the down+dust move which I'll combo into Ky's fast hadouken thing but holy shit does that midair explosion thing do a shitload of damage, and I can't figure out how to block it. I've resigned myself to never jumping, ever.

Also, when she does the thing with the wings and the warning boxes show up, I can dodge all of them except the one where it's all over the screen. I try double jumping but I always get hit on the way back down

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 08-09-2006 02:13:00 PM
The title + originating post in this thread made me laugh enough to forget about my massive headache. Thanks, Maradon!
Maradon!
posted 08-09-2006 06:21:28 PM
Always nice to meet a fan mr. bajah.

I managed to beat I-NO at least one of the two times by doing lots of dropkicks. What I'll do is shoot the fast hadouken from a big distance, which she'll block but after a couple of these she'll do a jumping maneuver and be vulnerable to a drop kick when she lands. Then I chain a hadouken and dropkick again until she blocks. I usually get in about 3 hits this way.

I swear the AI ramps up once you have a win under your belt though because in the second round she kicks my ass and seems to burst out of the dropkick chain more. Then she'll use one move that drains half my health bar and I'll die.

I probably spent as much time beating all the preceeding characters as I did in one or two matches with I-NO.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-09-2006 06:25:16 PM
quote:
Maradon!'s unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
They really should have named this game "Guilty Gear: I-NO"

She seems to be pretty weak to the down+dust move which I'll combo into Ky's fast hadouken thing but holy shit does that midair explosion thing do a shitload of damage, and I can't figure out how to block it. I've resigned myself to never jumping, ever.

Also, when she does the thing with the wings and the warning boxes show up, I can dodge all of them except the one where it's all over the screen. I try double jumping but I always get hit on the way back down

Stand right next to her, then when the boxes disappear, jump immediately. Then double jump at the peak of your jump.

Maradon!
posted 08-09-2006 06:31:33 PM
quote:
x--SakkraO-('-'Q) :
Stand right next to her, then when the boxes disappear, jump immediately. Then double jump at the peak of your jump.

yah I got that under control.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-09-2006 06:33:41 PM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
yah I got that under control.

good to hear

Maradon!
posted 08-09-2006 08:00:21 PM
k

no progress

and my thumb is getting that "sharp throbbing pain in the corners of the nail" feeling, so I'm about done for the day.

Alaan
posted 08-10-2006 01:42:43 AM
Beating Boss I-no well is really just getting the timing of your jump and her moves down really well. Unless you are playing Dizzy. Then you are fucked proper unless you are damn good.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-10-2006 01:50:33 AM
quote:
Alaan said this about your mom:
Beating Boss I-no well is really just getting the timing of your jump and her moves down really well. Unless you are playing Dizzy. Then you are fucked proper unless you are damn good.

Not really. Dizzy excels in chain attacks, which I-No is pretty vulnerable to if her burst counter isn't ready.

Maradon!
posted 08-10-2006 03:14:40 AM
She's definately beatable, it just takes practice and a good intuition to avoid ultimate fortissimo. The rest of her very painful attacks are easily dodgeable.
Alaan
posted 08-10-2006 09:11:21 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
She's definately beatable, it just takes practice and a good intuition to avoid ultimate fortissimo. The rest of her very painful attacks are easily dodgeable.

It is more the insane health regen she has in that battle.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 08-10-2006 09:35:18 AM
See, you're talking about Story Mode, as opposed to Arcade mode that normal people play.
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 08-10-2006 07:26:29 PM
quote:
Mooj impressed everyone with:
See, you're talking about Story Mode, as opposed to Arcade mode that normal people play.

Story mode unlocked stuff.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-10-2006 09:25:28 PM
Arcade mode comes after you've done everything in story.
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 08-10-2006 10:06:23 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Sakkra:
Arcade mode comes after you've done everything in story.

Haven't played it in years, I couldn't even remember what story mode unlocked

I just remember unlocking Justice and...some old guy whose name started with 'K' (Kliff?)...but I think they were unlocked through completing challenges right?

Maradon!
posted 08-10-2006 10:39:43 PM
Kliff Undsen.

His IK is just foreward+punch

and you can use it at any time

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-10-2006 at 10:40 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: