EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: so my wife wanted a compost bin...
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 07-13-2006 09:52:38 PM
now our house is totally infested with fruit flies. This totally pisses me off. I can't move the bin, because we have limited space outside our townhouse, which is the source of the infestation. I've discovered a few methods to deal with the problem at the source, but short of running around the house clapping my hands trying to smash little bugs, is there a way to get rid of these things?
Sean
posted 07-13-2006 09:56:09 PM
Kill wife. Put in compost bin. Dispose of compost bin.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-13-2006 10:13:09 PM
Have fun bug bombing. Fucking YOTC did that to me with a mouse he loaned me.

Asshole.

Steven Steve
posted 07-13-2006 10:25:09 PM
You could spray your entire house in peppermint, use a bug light, throw a bunch of garbage by your neighbors' houses, get rid of the compost bin, or rue the day you decided to marry someone who would do this to you.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Demos
Pancake
posted 07-13-2006 10:25:40 PM
Compost is, by definition, decomposing organic material. Rotting garbage used for fertilizer. If you don't have room outside for it, then I don't think its smart to have it. Bugs will, as an essential part of it, be drawn to it. They help break material down; and bombing them to make it more bearable indoors would diminish the potential of your compost.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-13-2006 10:32:39 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
You could spray your entire house in peppermint.

what

Demos
Pancake
posted 07-13-2006 10:49:47 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough was listening to Cher while typing:
what

Its part of a ritual for summoning Santa's Elves, who kill flies like mongoose kill snakes. But then you have a bunch of eggnog-chugging midgets in your house to deal with.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Steven Steve
posted 07-13-2006 11:12:22 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about Cuba:
what

You have to trust me on this one

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-13-2006 11:17:35 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
You have to trust me on this one

i trust you usually but i think lucy might have some 'splainin ta do

Steven Steve
posted 07-14-2006 12:13:46 AM
I have no idea what the science is but many insects don't like peppermint. Maybe the smell is some kind of natural bug repellant. I've actually tested this and it worked, haha.

Maradon!
posted 07-14-2006 03:33:01 AM
Doing it somewhere VERY far away from your house is the cardinal rule of compost heaps. As was mentioned in this thread, they are by definition heaps of rotting shit.

If you don't have room to put it very far from your house, then you don't have room for a compost heap. Keeping one close to your house isn't just annoying, it's extremely unsanitary. Some states even have laws on the books for them.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 07-14-2006 at 03:33 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-14-2006 07:25:55 AM
WTF, a compost bin indoors or anywhere remotely near to your house is a stupid, stupid, idea and your wife needs to be shot.

No offense.

Jet
Pancake
posted 07-14-2006 07:49:39 AM
This will help you.

http://www.bottlebiology.org/investigations/fruit_fly_trap.html

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 07-14-2006 08:27:02 AM
If you don't have room to put it away from the house, what the hell are you going to use it for?
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 07-14-2006 09:48:08 AM
quote:
Sean had this to say about Robocop:
Kill wife. Put in compost bin. Dispose of compost bin.
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 07-17-2006 02:47:47 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Have fun bug bombing. Fucking YOTC did that to me with a mouse he loaned me.

Asshole.

I NEVER had any bug problems at all, so I still think its total coincidence and you just left it in the exact wrong place after you got it from me. But whatever.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: