EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: EQ Question!
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 07-10-2006 04:13:25 PM
So I was planning on playing a Warrior on the new progression server. But then Sony sent out emails about a free one month reactivation, and I've got more than one old account to reactivate and two computers. So I'm gonna two box.

I can't decide between the obvious Warrior/Cleric combo, or a Monk/Shaman. Monk and Shaman has more versatility and higher damage output, while Warrior/Cleric is much more straight up efficient. I can two box both straight to 50, and even to 60 with Kunark. Warrior/Cleric is probably the better long term decision because both are part of the Holy Trinity, but I don't know.

Anyone with more recent EQ experience have an opinion? I haven't played EQ since PoP and so much has changed, even in the old world that I'd be playing in.

p.s. parcelan will ban anyone who makes stupid lolol ur playing eq or "Feral Druid/Combat Rogue is better than a Warrior/Priest" jokes on sight. >:[

Led
*kaboom*
posted 07-10-2006 04:41:10 PM
Try and log in before you mess around with your billing. Apparently I have five million years of free time left on my account... seriously
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-10-2006 04:44:07 PM
I know that during PoP I was doing ok with a Warrior/Shaman combo. The advantage of Slam (Ogre Warrior) allowed me to handle healing mobs much more efficiently than a Monk/Shaman combo. Although I've seen the *ugly* shit that a Monk/Shaman setup can do properly geared.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-10-2006 04:45:56 PM
Your problem seems to be that you're playing EQ.

OH SHI

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 07-10-2006 05:26:20 PM
Playing Warrior/Cleric will be easier overall.
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-10-2006 06:45:24 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Reynar stammered:
Playing Warrior/Cleric will be easier overall.

Other than the cleric's ability to deliver large heals early on and the availibility of the largest +HP buffs, what would make a cleric a better choice over a Shaman?

Haste, Slowing mobs, Stat buffs, Regen, Healing, DoTs... I see quite a bit going for a shaman, but it's not something you can put in a corner and survive with just 2 buttons. I had a bank and a half of buttons setup to 'automate' most of my Shaman while I main-boxed the Warrior.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-10-2006 06:49:59 PM
A cleric will be easier to two-box, but as RIG said, you're going to get a lot more benefit from boxing a shaman. Pretty much everything he mentioned, and a pet to boot for a little extra DPS. Keep that little guy hasted and he wasn't half bad .

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-10-2006 06:53:48 PM
I got tired of resummoning the little bastard because he'd die to riposte damage.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-10-2006 07:18:20 PM
The server needs more warriors, so go for warrior/cleric.

Of course, the server needs more everything but int casters.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-10-2006 07:19:59 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator thought about the meaning of life:
I got tired of resummoning the little bastard because he'd die to riposte damage.

So do what smart wimpy pet owners do, make sure the pet is attacking from behind the target.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-10-2006 07:36:20 PM
If I were actively playing the shaman, not a problem.

When the shaman is a glorified collection of macros, not as easy to do.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 07-10-2006 08:26:04 PM
Warrior/cleric gives you the ability to generate a group on demand. When I was two-boxing a 70 warrior/66 cleric it was always super-easy to get a group whenever and wherever I wanted because I already had what was needed to get one going.

Keep in mind all of my 2-boxing experience is post Omens of War. I have no idea how well a shaman can support a warrior in old-world content, but I know it took one hell of a shaman to main heal WoS and MPG without an overgeared tank. Meanwhile my cleric was able to mainheal Wall of Slaughter (65-70 content) at level 47 with a good mana regen buff.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 07-10-2006 08:33:15 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Other than the cleric's ability to deliver large heals early on and the availibility of the largest +HP buffs, what would make a cleric a better choice over a Shaman?

Haste, Slowing mobs, Stat buffs, Regen, Healing, DoTs... I see quite a bit going for a shaman, but it's not something you can put in a corner and survive with just 2 buttons. I had a bank and a half of buttons setup to 'automate' most of my Shaman while I main-boxed the Warrior.

I didn't see a cleric would be better, just easier.

If you're going to 2 box over a long period of time, there's a lot less stuff to do with that combo.

A monk/shaman 2 box is undoubtably more powerful, but requires a lot more interaction on both characters. Speaking as someone who duo'd with a monk as a shaman for the better part 2 of years, I was hardly ever idle when we duo'd, but the amount of stuff we could kill in short amounts of time was insane.

So if he wants to casually 2 box, go cleric/warrior.

If he wants to be back and forth interacting constantly but mowing through mobs, go monk/shaman.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-10-2006 09:33:17 PM
Ah, makes sense... If you were going to just be a casual gamer then yeah... Cleric/Warrior is the way to go. Monk/Shaman is highly interactive, but I still think the best 'balance' lies in Warrior/Shaman persionally.

Of course this is all moot if you decide to break out MacroQuest.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 07-11-2006 05:23:15 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why JooJooFlop wrote:
The server needs more warriors, so go for warrior/cleric.

Of course, the server needs more everything but int casters.

What server do most of you play on, anyway? I don't think I ever saw anyone say in the other thread, after the second server was announced.

Willias
Pancake
posted 07-11-2006 08:36:19 AM
quote:
Snoota was listening to Cher while typing:
What server do most of you play on, anyway? I don't think I ever saw anyone say in the other thread, after the second server was announced.

I *think* Suddar, Fizodeth, and Lyinar play on Sleeper. But then again, I don't think I've seen Suddar since a couple of days after the server came up, and Fizo is only on once every few days.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-11-2006 10:28:15 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Snoota said this:

I play on Combine.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 07-11-2006 01:20:56 PM
I've been playing with Will, but my play time has been severely cut down witht eh same thing that Suddar was complaining about, suddenly I've got stuff to do out the ass. Im not complaining though. Parties with girls running around topless and a floated keg and THEN some are fun.
Suddar
posted 07-11-2006 01:23:07 PM
quote:
Fizodeth had this to say about Duck Tales:
I've been playing with Will, but my play time has been severely cut down witht eh same thing that Suddar was complaining about, suddenly I've got stuff to do out the ass. Im not complaining though. Parties with girls running around topless and a floated keg and THEN some are fun.

This is basically my problem, I've been out every evening for the past two weeks and now I feel kind of out of the loop anyway. I may start back up again once the newbie areas clear up a bit, that's part of what I've been waiting for also.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 07-11-2006 01:25:14 PM
Coincidentally, warrior/shaman teams are massively insane. Keep the warrior buffed and then just make sure to slow/dot the enemy mob and it works pretty well.

I leveled my warrior like crazy when Gates of Discord came out in that first area with all the dragorns and other dudes.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: