EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hate smoking? Then you must want to make others fist.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-07-2006 09:20:41 AM
Ann Coulter is completely batshit.

But it make sense, when you think about it. After all, when you're getting fisted, you can't smoke, because you're either clenching your teeth in agony or your mouth is wide open, sobbing and screaming.

What?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 07-07-2006 09:50:51 AM
quote:
Because meanwhile, these health fanatics, when it comes to smoking, encourage every form of polymorphous perversity, which, by the way, does have public health consequences -- but no, no, no, no. That -- that -- you know, anal sex and fisting, that's part of our deepest privacy rights.

This made me giggle. How does anal sex or fisting have PUBLIC health consequences?

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 07-07-2006 10:00:24 AM
For some reason, when I try to read that spittlearticle, I only get the sense that the author is pulling things out of context and is doing a bad job of attempting to make a point.

*or my hangover's worse than I thought

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-07-2006 11:42:49 AM
quote:
Vernaltemptress really knows where their towel is...
For some reason, when I try to read that spittlearticle, I only get the sense that the author is pulling things out of context and is doing a bad job of attempting to make a point.

*or my hangover's worse than I thought

It sounds to me like an excessively liberal person ranting about an excessively conservative person. Both sides appear to have a talent for exaggeration that I personally could not hope to rival.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 07-07-2006 12:10:32 PM
Well, why the hell not?

She makes it sound like a bad thing.

Steven Steve
posted 07-07-2006 12:47:28 PM
Ann Coulter is hilarious, ha ha.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 07-07-2006 01:59:24 PM
Many conservatives believe that AIDS is transmitted primarily through homosexual sex. This is what she's talking about when she referrs to the public health concequences of the "polymorphous perversity" that is advocated by the left.

Now, I never read anything Ann Coulter says. ever. I know about her entirely through "outrageous" links and articles posted by lefties.

She uses so much over-the-top rhetoric that it's painfully easy to pick and choose quotes and make her look like a fanatical idiot, however the overall point that she makes is entirely valid - that anybody who would oppose things like the Texas sodomy law on the basis of individual liberty would be hypocritical to advocate a smoking ban.

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-07-2006 02:19:25 PM
quote:
Maradon! painfully thought these words up:
She uses so much over-the-top rhetoric that it's painfully easy to pick and choose quotes and make her look like a fanatical idiot, however the overall point that she makes is entirely valid - that anybody who would oppose things like the Texas sodomy law on the basis of individual liberty would be hypocritical to advocate a smoking ban.

It's not a valid analogy in the case of most smoking bans since the majority of them apply to public places, it is illegal to fist someone in the middle of a courthouse in most jurisdictions. It may be slightly valid in the case of smoking bans in private businesses, which do conflict with property rights to a large degree. The only valid argument in favour of them I can see is concern over the health of workers in those businesses and even that is somewhat flimsy.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Maradon!
posted 07-07-2006 02:25:50 PM
quote:
Moding:
It's not a valid analogy in the case of most smoking bans since the majority of them apply to public places

The colorado smoking ban in question does apply to private institutions, like bars and restaraunts.

You've been saying a lot of decidedly un-collectivist things lately, Mod. Are you feeling ok?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 07-07-2006 at 02:27 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-07-2006 03:59:00 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Maradon! absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Many conservatives believe that AIDS is transmitted primarily through homosexual sex. This is what she's talking about when she referrs to the public health concequences of the "polymorphous perversity" that is advocated by the left.

Now, I never read anything Ann Coulter says. ever. I know about her entirely through "outrageous" links and articles posted by lefties.

Your analogy doesn't work because sex is between consenting adults, whereas smoking is not a matter of individual liberty inasmuch as it inflicts serious adverse affects on bystanders. It's exactly the same thing as preventing someone from saying, "I'm going to swing this razor blade on a rope now in the public square; if you don't want to be hurt, you shouldn't put yourself in danger by being around me." You, on the other hand, argue that people should just move out of the way because it's not fair to prevent people from doing things in public that are dangerous to others.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 07-07-2006 at 04:00 PM.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Maradon!
posted 07-07-2006 08:31:25 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Bloodsage booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Your analogy doesn't work because sex is between consenting adults, whereas smoking is not a matter of individual liberty inasmuch as it inflicts serious adverse affects on bystanders.

Bystanders can revoke their consent by simply moving away, or not going around smokers while they're smoking. Smokers inside a private establishment present zero risk to anybody not in that establishment.

quote:
It's exactly the same thing as preventing someone from saying, "I'm going to swing this razor blade on a rope now in the public square; if you don't want to be hurt, you shouldn't put yourself in danger by being around me." You, on the other hand, argue that people should just move out of the way because it's not fair to prevent people from doing things in public that are dangerous to others.

Once again, we're not talking about a public indoor smoking ban - which I support - we're talking about a ban on smoking in private establishments.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-08-2006 05:37:54 AM
Again, you're trying to create a situation where it's perfectly okay to perform acts dangerous to others, under the odd notion that anyone who doesn't want to get hurt has a responsibility to limit their movements. Ass-backwards, in other words.

Nor does the lame "a restaurant isn't a public place" argument work. . .because in most jurisdictions one can be arrested for public intoxication in restaurants and bars (even in your own car as a passenger in some places), so the distinction you're trying to draw simply doesn't exist. There's plenty of precedent in the law for such a ban in places frequented by the public, even if they are "private" property.

Or would you also argue that it's okay to assault someone in a restaurant, it being the responsibility of the person threatened to find someplace safer to eat?

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 07-08-2006 at 05:38 AM.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 07-08-2006 05:40:45 AM
Hey Bloodsage, you hungry? I know this great restaurant.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-08-2006 01:01:02 PM
Anne Coulter occasionally has the tiniest speck of truth in her speeches. In this case, it's an arguable point basically stating "smoking is healthier than fascism." In one of her more recent cases, it was a very valid critique of people like Cindy Sheehan, Blindy's personal savior, climbing over their children's corpses to be noticed.

The problem is her points are buried under such a pile of horrible rhetoric, borderline psychotic insults and accusations, as well as outright lies that it's not worth reading.

Hence the problem with all pundits: intellectualism mixed with lying and craziness doesn't work.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-08-2006 04:07:46 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan's account was hax0red to write:

Hence the problem with all pundits: intellectualism mixed with lying and craziness doesn't work.

But being an intellectual alone won't get you noticed.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-08-2006 07:22:27 PM
I still want to see the vaccuum that had people living in all their lives that led to them being able to point to secondhand smoke and absolutely, positively nothing else, not genetics or other things in the environment or lifestyle or anything, as the cause of their death.

They've instituted a zero-tolerance policy on my college campus and the reasoning was that x number of people die a year due to secondhand smoke. So I want to see the bubbles these people live in that allows them to isolate something like that.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 07-08-2006 08:44:25 PM
quote:
From the book of Lyinar Ka`Bael, chapter 3, verse 16:
I still want to see the vaccuum that had people living in all their lives that led to them being able to point to secondhand smoke and absolutely, positively nothing else, not genetics or other things in the environment or lifestyle or anything, as the cause of their death.

They've instituted a zero-tolerance policy on my college campus and the reasoning was that x number of people die a year due to secondhand smoke. So I want to see the bubbles these people live in that allows them to isolate something like that.

Smoke turns your lungs black.

Secondhand smoke being a facter in the death of a nonsmoker with blackened lungs is a logical conclusion, imo.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Demos
Pancake
posted 07-09-2006 12:22:40 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Azakias said:

Secondhand smoke being a facter in the death of a nonsmoker with blackened lungs is a logical conclusion, imo.

Pff, that's what the anti-tobacco hatemongers want you to think. As it turns out, large amounts of people are in fact moonlighting as coal miners while sleepwalking.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 07-09-2006 10:27:25 AM
quote:
Azakias thought about the meaning of life:

Just living in a moderately urban enviroment will blacken a persons lungs to a degree. Whether they spend a good deal of time around smokers or not.

If someones lungs were blackened enough to have that considered a primary factor in thier death, then they were lying or smoking something.

That's not to say it doesn't contribute, or make things worse, but it's hardly a definitive example.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-09-2006 11:43:12 AM
I wouldn't legislate any sort of "no smoking in public" policy. What if you want to have a cookout at the park? Or a bonfire in your back yard? If you ban smoking in public places, it's bad enough, but banning it in PRIVATELY-OWNED territory is a violation of the worst sort. What if you want to have a cookout at a state park? Lots of smoke there. Can't be healthy. Hell the way some people cook burgers is probably unhealthy. What if you want to have a bonfire on your privately-owned property and invite folks to it?

Smoking is a bit like drinking. It's something that could reasonably be expected to happen, or at least be exposed to, in a social environment. With drinking, we can measure at what point alcohol saturation of a system starts to become toxic, and we measure degree of intoxication as one side of the freedom:cost ratio. We know that at X blood alcohol level, you are Y likely to have an accident, which upsets people. Z is the acceptable number of accidents before people feel their freedom is being unpleasantly infringed upon, which upsets them. So you say a blood alcohol level of .08 is the maximum level allowable in a driver by law and don't legislate how much they can drink otherwise, but you do legislate things in such a way that if the level goes higher and they drive, they can be charged with some really hardcore charges. At that point there's no dangerous threat to personal liberty (no one is honestly saying "gee let's stop selling alcohol at all!"...at least no one in any sort of majority), and the bickering becomes over where the mark is. Bartenders are now suable if they serve someone alcohol to the point of obvious intoxication and let them drive. Insurance rates at alcohol-selling locations is higher due to the possibility of some idiot suing. Likewise, the government is the one who issues the license and is the one who makes sure the i's are dotted and t's are crossed. Violators get a serious fine and repeat offenders get their license pulled.

You could do something similar with smoking, I would think. We have the technology to detect smoke levels in a given area. Put them in bars or restaurants or whatever and make it the responsibility of the owner to ensure they're operational. We know from experimentation the saturation/absorption rates of the average individual's lungs in regards to smoke. So draw a line where the acceptable risk is unacceptable. There are plenty of ways to keep the smoke saturation down; better air circulation is one. A lot of the tests in the lab I work at involve toxic chemicals, burning small amounts of oil and so forth for flashpoint testing, etc. The place would reek and be a danger if it wasn't for the fact that the air is exchanged 15 times every hour. Granted, it's a pretty big facility, but you could scale something similar down, I imagine. But the easiest way is to check the air quality and have it set to some sort of monitoring device. Smoke saturation gets too high, and stays that way for too long, small fine. Or whatever. The fine details can be hashed out.

The point I'm making is that there is a middle ground that uses an existing system as a model. It could be made to work, and is infinitely preferable to start cutting into the rights of personal individuals or privately-owned companies on privately-owned property where people voluntarily come to work. Once you start cutting into those sorts of rights, it's very difficult to ever undo it.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 07-09-2006 07:52:21 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I wouldn't legislate any sort of "no smoking in public" policy. What if you want to have a cookout at the park? Or a bonfire in your back yard? If you ban smoking in public places, it's bad enough, but banning it in PRIVATELY-OWNED territory is a violation of the worst sort. What if you want to have a cookout at a state park? Lots of smoke there. Can't be healthy. Hell the way some people cook burgers is probably unhealthy. What if you want to have a bonfire on your privately-owned property and invite folks to it?

Smoking is a bit like drinking. It's something that could reasonably be expected to happen, or at least be exposed to, in a social environment. With drinking, we can measure at what point alcohol saturation of a system starts to become toxic, and we measure degree of intoxication as one side of the freedom:cost ratio. We know that at X blood alcohol level, you are Y likely to have an accident, which upsets people. Z is the acceptable number of accidents before people feel their freedom is being unpleasantly infringed upon, which upsets them. So you say a blood alcohol level of .08 is the maximum level allowable in a driver by law and don't legislate how much they can drink otherwise, but you do legislate things in such a way that if the level goes higher and they drive, they can be charged with some really hardcore charges. At that point there's no dangerous threat to personal liberty (no one is honestly saying "gee let's stop selling alcohol at all!"...at least no one in any sort of majority), and the bickering becomes over where the mark is. Bartenders are now suable if they serve someone alcohol to the point of obvious intoxication and let them drive. Insurance rates at alcohol-selling locations is higher due to the possibility of some idiot suing. Likewise, the government is the one who issues the license and is the one who makes sure the i's are dotted and t's are crossed. Violators get a serious fine and repeat offenders get their license pulled.

You could do something similar with smoking, I would think. We have the technology to detect smoke levels in a given area. Put them in bars or restaurants or whatever and make it the responsibility of the owner to ensure they're operational. We know from experimentation the saturation/absorption rates of the average individual's lungs in regards to smoke. So draw a line where the acceptable risk is unacceptable. There are plenty of ways to keep the smoke saturation down; better air circulation is one. A lot of the tests in the lab I work at involve toxic chemicals, burning small amounts of oil and so forth for flashpoint testing, etc. The place would reek and be a danger if it wasn't for the fact that the air is exchanged 15 times every hour. Granted, it's a pretty big facility, but you could scale something similar down, I imagine. But the easiest way is to check the air quality and have it set to some sort of monitoring device. Smoke saturation gets too high, and stays that way for too long, small fine. Or whatever. The fine details can be hashed out.

The point I'm making is that there is a middle ground that uses an existing system as a model. It could be made to work, and is infinitely preferable to start cutting into the rights of personal individuals or privately-owned companies on privately-owned property where people voluntarily come to work. Once you start cutting into those sorts of rights, it's very difficult to ever undo it.

Yeah, you already posted your opinion once. No need to repeat it and make it longer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-09-2006 08:24:20 PM
quote:
From the book of Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael, chapter 3, verse 16:

No one thinks you're smarter for using lots of words.

Steven Steve
posted 07-10-2006 09:43:27 AM
Ann Coulter has an Adam's apple.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: