EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Attention on deck: We have uh-oh
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 07-04-2006 05:14:05 PM
Roger uh-oh, over.

EDIT: The launch was an apparant failure, but I'm curious as to what the international response will be... if any.

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 07-04-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Maradon!
posted 07-04-2006 05:22:42 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Arttemis booooze lime pole over bench lick:
The launch was an apparant failure, but I'm curious as to what the international response will be... if any.

As usual the european countries will play the role of frantic apologists, countries that are most threatened will express dire concern, and maybe, just maybe the US will take it's counter-ICBM program out of mothballs and start working on it again.

International drama, yawn. Nobody will care until hundreds of thousands of people die, and as 9/11 taught us, a lot of people won't care even then.

Skaw
posted 07-04-2006 05:32:12 PM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
International drama, yawn. Nobody will care until hundreds of thousands of people die, and as 9/11 taught us, a lot of people won't care even then.

And then more lobbyists will claim it's proof that video games have desensitized the American youth over international missle launches! Scorched Earth better watch out, or it'll be on the chopping block next!

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-04-2006 05:37:33 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Maradon! wrote:

Wait just a second there, of all the tragedies which happen in the world every year, 9/11 taught you that people are indifferent to the death of others?

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Maradon!
posted 07-04-2006 05:52:01 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Mod who doth quote:
Wait just a second there, of all the tragedies which happen in the world every year, 9/11 taught you that people are indifferent to the death of others?

No, but in the case of, say, the thousands killed by the Indian tsunami you can at least give them the benefit of the doubt by assuming it's just the result of geographic disassociation.

9/11 stands out to me because displaying your apathy towards it became a vogue thing to do.

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-04-2006 06:17:22 PM
quote:
Maradon! stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
No, but in the case of, say, the thousands killed by the Indian tsunami you can at least give them the benefit of the doubt by assuming it's just the result of geographic disassociation.

9/11 stands out to me because displaying your apathy towards it became a vogue thing to do.

It's not indifference towards the people who died on 9/11 that became fashionable, it's rejection of all the nationalism it spawned. Beyond utterly crazy Jihadist types who celebrate the death of any American as a victory for their cause, I doubt anyone is actually less concerned about the victims of than they are about deaths outside their immediate community generally.

9/11 is unique as an event in that it is exremely politicized, especially in US public discourse. If you want to gauge people's concern for their fellow man, it would be more useful to study events with which people do not have a nationalistic or political entanglement with. Take pneumonia or malaria as an example, as people generally don't have an axe to grind with some random virus. The sad conclusion at which you will inevitably arrive is that a large number of people cannot manage more than a 'Man, that sucks.' for those they percieve to be different from their self-image in any way.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 07-04-2006 06:21:07 PM
I always wanted to see Korea... no wait, I never did
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-04-2006 06:55:13 PM
quote:
Maradon! attempted to be funny by writing:

Ever see the episode of Penn & Teller: Bullshit about the Freedom Tower/WTC Memorial? Between that and the use of the event as magic words by politicians has made cynicism and apathy towards it all a natural occurance. Most people arn't doing it just to be hip.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-05-2006 01:34:29 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Mod absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
9/11 is unique as an event in that it is exremely politicized, especially in US public discourse.

Yeah, damn those Americans for getting upset somebody deliberately killed 3000 civilians like that! And WTF are you thinking in blaming the one country with a right to come together when attacked for being "political" in light of the blatant political crap happening in Europe and elsewhere with regard to the attack? You know, the best-selling books in Europe that claim the whole thing was orchestrated by the US government itself?

Last I checked, it's perfectly normal for nationalism to spike when a country is attacked, and it happens everywhere, not just in America. Sorry I haven't visited the Utopia that is Austria lately, but I know the important European countries--UK, France, Germany--have all implemented anti-terrorist measures that make ours look positively libertarian, since European governments generally have much more power to spy domestically than the US government does.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-05-2006 12:15:53 PM
quote:
Verily, Bloodsage doth proclaim:
Yeah, damn those Americans for getting upset somebody deliberately killed 3000 civilians like that! And WTF are you thinking in blaming the one country with a right to come together when attacked for being "political" in light of the blatant political crap happening in Europe and elsewhere with regard to the attack? You know, the best-selling books in Europe that claim the whole thing was orchestrated by the US government itself?

Last I checked, it's perfectly normal for nationalism to spike when a country is attacked, and it happens everywhere, not just in America. Sorry I haven't visited the Utopia that is Austria lately, but I know the important European countries--UK, France, Germany--have all implemented anti-terrorist measures that make ours look positively libertarian, since European governments generally have much more power to spy domestically than the US government does.

My point was that if Maradon wanted to gouge how people react to others being killed, he should study sources of death which are not politicized. I never mae a point about domestic spying, Euorpe, civil liberties or libertarianism anywhere in this thread, you just threw a bunch of strawmen at me based simply on the fact that I used the word 'politicized'.

If I want to study a possible causal link between war and long-term economic disruption, I will try to not pick out a country which has been hit by a massive drought the year after the war I'm trying to analyze has ended as my object of study to keep influence from external factors to a minimum. The same applies to 9/11, if you want to observe public opinion as related to loss of life, you should not pick a tragedy as your example in which strong nationalist feelings and fear for people's own safety may influence public opinion more strongly than observed loss of life.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-05-2006 12:30:58 PM
quote:
Mod was naked while typing this:
My point was that if Maradon wanted to gouge how people react to others being killed, he should study sources of death which are not politicized. I never mae a point about domestic spying, Euorpe, civil liberties or libertarianism anywhere in this thread, you just threw a bunch of strawmen at me based simply on the fact that I used the word 'politicized'.

If I want to study a possible causal link between war and long-term economic disruption, I will try to not pick out a country which has been hit by a massive drought the year after the war I'm trying to analyze has ended as my object of study to keep influence from external factors to a minimum. The same applies to 9/11, if you want to observe public opinion as related to loss of life, you should not pick a tragedy as your example in which strong nationalist feelings and fear for people's own safety may influence public opinion more strongly than observed loss of life.

How would thousands of people being killed by a North Korean ICBM not be politicized?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-05-2006 01:24:02 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Mod squealed:

So you claim your condemnation of nationalism in the wake of Sept 11 is somehow related to your other point? Doesn't seem the least bit logically necessary to me.

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-05-2006 01:53:49 PM
quote:
Bloodsage thought about the meaning of life:
So you claim your condemnation of nationalism in the wake of Sept 11 is somehow related to your other point? Doesn't seem the least bit logically necessary to me.

I don't see an explicit condemnation in my posts anywhere. I'm not at all a friend of nationalism in general, as is probably evident form my posting, but in this case I wasn't really aiming for a critique of nationalism. I was just pointing out to Maradon that what he sees as downplaying the tragedy of 9/11 becoming fashionable is, in most cases, probably just people shedding the nationalist mythos built around the event without diminishing the tragedy of the event itself.

quote:
Check out the big brain on Naimah!
How would thousands of people being killed by a North Korean ICBM not be politicized?

Of course it would, it would also make a flawed starting point for extrapolating people's feelings on death from, since you'd have people screaming bloody murder over it who would otherwise not even blink at that same amount of people getting run over by trucks in the span of a few months.

Mod fucked around with this message on 07-05-2006 at 01:58 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-05-2006 02:00:11 PM
"Mythos"? Jeebus, cool your idealistic jets, dude. We were attacked as a nation, because America is America. Not because of any particular desire to harm those individuals. There's no myth surrounding what happened or why it happened, nor in the increased national identity that followed.

Like most other things in life, nationalism and patriotism are only bad when taken to extremes. Which, frankly, hasn't happened in the US.

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 07-05-2006 11:04:06 PM
Kim Jong Il and I have the same birthday. We are birthday buddies!
roit, less bash 'is noggin
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: