EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Recommend me a few DS games
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-28-2006 12:51:20 PM
I am considering buying a DS lite, but as I haven't read a console mag for about ten years, I am kinda out of the loop regarding the available games.

The only game I know I would buy (and kinda the reason why I am even considering buying a DS) is Advanced Wars, because I love turn based tactics games.

The new Mario game looks like fun, but I am more interested in roleplaying and strategy games. A good shoot'em'up I would not mind either.

So, what other goood games are there?

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-28-2006 12:59:55 PM
Get Mario, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, and Metroid: Hunters. Pokemon: Crystal is coming out fairly shortly if you call that a roleplaying game.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-28-2006 01:47:24 PM
quote:
Naimah enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Pokemon: Crystal is coming out fairly shortly if you call that a roleplaying game.

wtf u talkin bout boy?

The Pokemon games en route to America are the Pokemon Fushigi No Dungeon games (one for gba, one for DS), Pokemon Rangers and the ones in the actual series: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. None of which are coming out shortly sans the Fushigi no Dungeon game.

Anyways yeah, if you're down with the import, get Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan! Get Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and New Super Mario Bros. for awesome sidescrollers. Animal Crossing: Wild World is an excellent time waster.

Also, I really enjoy this Brain Age game that I recently got. It's not a game persay as much as it is an exercise program for your mind. Doing easy math problems quickly, reading certain things fast, trying to keep track of stuff when multiple things are happening, things like that. It also comes with like 120-150 Sudoku puzzles (I believe. I haven't unlocked the hard mode so I'm not 100% sure on how many there are.) It's a fun little tool and it only costs 20 bucks so it's worth it imo.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 06-28-2006 02:13:18 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about John Romero:
wtf u talkin bout boy?

The Pokemon games en route to America are the Pokemon Fushigi No Dungeon games (one for gba, one for DS), Pokemon Rangers and the ones in the actual series: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. None of which are coming out shortly sans the Fushigi no Dungeon game.

Anyways yeah, if you're down with the import, get Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan! Get Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and New Super Mario Bros. for awesome sidescrollers. Animal Crossing: Wild World is an excellent time waster.

Also, I really enjoy this Brain Age game that I recently got. It's not a game persay as much as it is an exercise program for your mind. Doing easy math problems quickly, reading certain things fast, trying to keep track of stuff when multiple things are happening, things like that. It also comes with like 120-150 Sudoku puzzles (I believe. I haven't unlocked the hard mode so I'm not 100% sure on how many there are.) It's a fun little tool and it only costs 20 bucks so it's worth it imo.

Another in that line is Big Brain acadamy. While Brain age focuses on the speed of your wit, BBA places more emphasis on the size of it (For lack of a better term.). Also only 20 bucks. There are 120 sudoku puzzles with Brain Age (Nothing special when you complete them all though. ), and Sudoku Grand Master just came out for the DS which has thousands of puzzles.

All of these are 20 bucks, so hooray!

Also, Phoenix Write: Ace Attorney (sp?) was re-released recently.

And Castlevania: DS is awesomesauce.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-28-2006 02:26:32 PM
Thanks so far.

How about some old GBA tactics or roleplaying games?

No pokemon, please.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-28-2006 02:32:07 PM
quote:
This one time, at Delphi Aegis camp:
Sudoku Grand Master just came out for the DS which has thousands of puzzles.

Oh cool.

quote:

Also, Phoenix Write: Ace Attorney (sp?) was re-released recently.

OH SHIT YES now i can get it YAY

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 06-28-2006 04:57:34 PM
Tales of Phantasia was released for GBA. and theres always Phantasy Star Collecxtion
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 06-28-2006 05:02:41 PM
RPGs for GBA? Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age. First game that was actually two, wuz suprised. Really neat puzzles, to boot.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-28-2006 05:10:03 PM
There's a ton of great RPGs and Strategy games for GBA. Anything with the Final Fantasy logo obviously, Advance Wars 1 and 2, Fire Emblem, Riviera: The Promised Land (amazing friggin game), and the Mega Man Battle Network series just to name a few.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 06-28-2006 06:02:01 PM
Mario Cart
New Super Mario Bros
Advance Wars
Castlevania

Currently playing Princess Peach, which is pretty easy, but has an amusing story and some secret stuff and funny variations of canon mario enemies.

Shonen jump superstars. I dont know if the stateside version is out yet, but I got a copy of the japanese game while in malaysia, and its like Super Smash Brothers on speed. Better than Mario Cart when it comes to group games as far as I am concerned.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Talonus
Loner
posted 06-28-2006 06:14:20 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mr. Gainsborough wrote:
OH SHIT YES now i can get it YAY

The most recent shipment (yesterday) only went to Capcom's online store and has already sold out.

Chugga
Pancake
posted 06-28-2006 06:32:20 PM
Phoenix Wright was a fantastic game. Took me a while to find it for a decent price, but I definately loved every minute of it.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-28-2006 06:47:15 PM
quote:
Talonus had this to say about Punky Brewster:
The most recent shipment (yesterday) only went to Capcom's online store and has already sold out.

Oh wow, haha.

I wanted to know something about that series, maybe you would know. I saw that one version was called Phoenix Wright 4 or something. How many of those games actually are there in Japan?

Talonus
Loner
posted 06-28-2006 07:09:15 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough wrote this stupid crap:
Oh wow, haha.

I wanted to know something about that series, maybe you would know. I saw that one version was called Phoenix Wright 4 or something. How many of those games actually are there in Japan?

Next shipment to shores will be in August. The online shipment to Capcom's store was kind of unexpected though, as the last shipment was June 12th and another shipment wasn't expected so soon. You may be able to find a copy at a local store, but good like finding it at an online retailer.

Three games released in Japan for the GBA already starring Phoenix (the DS versions are ports). A fourth is set to be released later this year, but will have a new main character. America has the first game and the second will come out in 2007. Third and fourth games are expected to be released here considering the popularity of the first game, but haven't been announced as of yet.

Skaw
posted 06-28-2006 08:17:26 PM
Warioware: Twisted! is the best in the series, GBA game so it'll work with the DS.
Delphi Aegis
posted 06-29-2006 12:43:50 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Skaw wrote:
Warioware: Twisted! is the best in the series, GBA game so it'll work with the DS.

Yes! The game is expansive, as well. And if you like any warioware games, you'll love it. I actually find twisted easier to play on the DS/DSLite due to the size (Less so for some microgames, but exception rather then the rule) rather then on a GBA:SP.

Zair
The Imp
posted 06-29-2006 08:37:20 AM
quote:
Tarquinn thought about the meaning of life:
Thanks so far.

How about some old GBA tactics or roleplaying games?

No pokemon, please.

It has been mentioned already, but Fire Emblem. The games can be pretty unforgiving (if you let a character die, he is dead for good) but they are great.

Great storylines and gameplay, though can be frustrating.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-29-2006 08:43:14 AM
quote:
Zair enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
It has been mentioned already, but Fire Emblem. The games can be pretty unforgiving (if you let a character die, he is dead for good) but they are great.

Great storylines and gameplay, though can be frustrating.

Too true. In fact, it's one of the only games with a feature made specifically to mock you.

The way FE's damage system works is that all damage is pre-determined. If your Priest is to be hit by this Myrmidon, she'll be hit for this much, exactly.

Now, FE also has a trait that allows you to restart your mission from exactly where you left off. So, if you ever get attacked by an enemy, your character dies, and you reload, you'll reload to exactly seeing your character die...over and over.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-29-2006 10:09:50 AM
One time in Fire Emblem, I was doing this one mission and had killed every guy but the last boss, all my characters were around him and I went in with my strongest which was a Paladin. He was within two strikes (my Paladin was able to strike twice per turn) of death and my guy had 40HP or something like that. He was able to do 20 damage, but he had 0% chance to hit...and 1% chance to crit.

He critted. My Paladin died. I had to start the mission over.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 07-02-2006 05:59:39 PM
If you're looking for GBA RPGs and strategy games, I reccomend Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis.

Pure SRPG

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: