EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hard Drive Paradox
Kael
Whistlepig
posted 06-28-2006 05:47:29 AM
I recently bought a mew computer for my father, but I have been using it as a media/gaming PC while he figures out what's he's gonna do for space and running a network cable to his office.

Anyways, since I have both computers in my room, I have been using his to game on while using mine to download torrents onto a shared folder on to his hard drive. This was working well untill a recent batch went into a sort of limbo. Exsisting in my hdd, yet not exsisting in the shared network folder. I used the windows search tool to find that the batch folder does not exsist on my hdd. However, when I run the torrent, it seeds from my hdd, it also shows that the batch was downloaded to my hdd to a folder with the same name as the shared network folder.

I tried making a folder with the same name as the shared network folder locally, but it opened up empty. Also, the torrent client did not read this folder.

So is there a way to find this batch of anime I downloaded, or should I get everything sorted for a format?

Thanks.

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 06-28-2006 08:50:41 AM
So hey, looks like Google came out with this deal that can search your computer.

It's pretty rad, it found said anime files. May want to take a look at it if you ever lose a file.

As for this thread, it will now segue into randomness

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 06-28-2006 04:49:52 PM
Speaking of hard drives; I need to salvage some data off one. The drive itself works fine, but it previously functioned as a master and therefore has no jumpers connected. Should I simply plug it all in on the slave position of the IDE cable and hope it's cable-select set, or would I have to short a jumper? If so, which one? I don't know the brand of HD or model, so I'm curious if they're standardized.
Sean
posted 06-28-2006 05:39:27 PM
..You scraped off the label with the brand and jumper settings on it? wtf yo

Every HDD I have is labeled with model number and jumper settings and all that shit.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 06-29-2006 12:24:09 AM
Was given it and was told it was attached to the bay permanently.. but I just unscrewed it, and hey, it's there. It's a Western Digitial 120g, but I don't see any jumper settings.

Hold on..

code:

C S M
S L A

I take it to mean that shorting CS would be cable select, SL would be slave, and MA would be master?

Alaan
posted 06-29-2006 01:23:32 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Delphi Aegis wrote:
Was given it and was told it was attached to the bay permanently.. but I just unscrewed it, and hey, it's there. It's a Western Digitial 120g, but I don't see any jumper settings.

Hold on..

code:

C S M
S L A

I take it to mean that shorting CS would be cable select, SL would be slave, and MA would be master?

Correct. Out of habit I always put it to Slave or Master even if CS technically should work.

Maradon!
posted 06-29-2006 01:42:11 AM
quote:
x--AlaanO-('-'Q) :
Correct. Out of habit I always put it to Slave or Master even if CS technically should work.

Yeah. Cable select is just one more thing to fail

Delphi Aegis
posted 06-29-2006 01:50:23 AM
Now the real query is where I find a jumper short..er.. thing. Since this doesn't.. have one? haha.
Maradon!
posted 06-29-2006 01:55:39 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Delphi Aegis who doth quote:
Now the real query is where I find a jumper short..er.. thing. Since this doesn't.. have one? haha.

If you're careful, tinfoil works, or just bend the pins together so they touch.

Alternately you could go to any computer repair shop and ask for one and there's a 99% chance they'll give you one for free.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-01-2006 01:37:58 PM
I have something like 20 of those, purely because I'm anal and keep absolutely everything that I get with motherboard packages. You get 1 or 2 replacement jumpers per mobo.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: