EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Avatar
Maradon!
posted 06-27-2006 07:02:49 PM
So, having just finished the first season, I'd have to say that this series is awesome, but for a few faults.

The plot is there, it's definately engrossing and not nearly as fragmented as that of many of it's brethren "serious" cartoons from the far east. The characters are there as well - the girls are extremely cute, Uncle Iroh is flat out awesome, and the bad guys are just so damn evil.

The problem I have is that Avatar is a genere of show of which fight scenes are a central component, and the fight sequences in Avatar are just so goddamn awful. I guess we have the litigious shitstains at the Parents Television Council to thank for that, but Pirates of Dark Water suffered under the same constraints and still managed to have some halfway decent fights. I don't know how much of that applies to the american sub of Naruto but last I checked it wasn't all that heavily censored, either.

It's not like they're written poorly - the action shows some great potential, but between the "pitched" battles between Aang and Zuko where it looks like Aang is playing a game of "Does-this-bug-you" to the brilliant military strategy of dropping "slime" on tanks, the fight scenes all feel like one long, drawn out pulled punch. Essentially, take Dragon Ball Z and Naruto, and go to the opposite extreme.

Despite all that, it's an awesome series, the characters are endearing enough, and there's enough intrigue to make it a solid hit IMO. And since nobody has taken King Boomey yet...

Aaron (the good one)
posted 06-27-2006 07:06:56 PM
Season 2 is TONS better than 1.
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Sean
posted 06-27-2006 07:07:38 PM
I have no idea how you can complain about Avatar's fightscenes in the slightest. And you spelled 'genre' wrong.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Maradon!
posted 06-27-2006 07:08:46 PM
quote:
Seaning:
I have no idea how you can complain about Avatar's fightscenes in the slightest. And you spelled 'genre' wrong.

I used the british spelling you peasant.

And I can complain about it because they're AWFUL. You can practically HEAR the writers shouting "BETTER MAKE SURE THEY KNOW HE'S NOT HURT!! BETTER MAKE SURE THEY REALIZE NOBODY DIED!! BETTER MAKE SURE THEY DON'T ACTUALLY HIT EACH OTHER, ELSE WE MIGHT BE SUED!!"

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 06-27-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-27-2006 07:10:07 PM
You're failing to grasp the concepts between the bending styles.

Take Airbending and Firebending for example. Firebending is practically entirely offense; they take a huge breath and unleash a devastating barrage of attacks. Earthbending, you can make shields out of rock, waterbending, you can at least bring up some blocking device, but firebending? There's no defensive maneuver in their entire repetoire.

Meanwhile, Airbending is almost entirely defensive and evasive. Aang can throw people with wind, sure, and he can knock them back with air blasts, but it's not nearly as effective as burning someone to death or crushing them between boulders.

Also, you might have noticed, Aang is really bothered by the idea of killing people. He's a vegetarian and very in-tune with life. Most of the Airbending monks were this way, which is why they removed themselves from society, so that they wouldn't have to go to war, figuring that no one could come to their aerial temples (the downside of this is that they were completely caught off-guard when the Firebenders DID show up).

I disagree entirely, though. The fight scenes kicked complete ass (they do get better in season two, though. See: Zuko Alone).

Talonus
Loner
posted 06-27-2006 07:10:15 PM
Haven't watched the series yet (on my to watch list), but it doesn't sound much worse than most anime. Actually, other than a few rare series (Noein, Black Lagoon, Diebuster, etc), I'd say most fight sequences suck these days. Too much talking, too much emo crap, and too little action.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-27-2006 07:12:24 PM
quote:
Talonus has sealed the pact
Haven't watched the series yet (on my to watch list), but it doesn't sound much worse than most anime. Actually, other than a few rare series (Noein, Black Lagoon, Diebuster, etc), I'd say most fight sequences suck these days. Too much talking, too much emo crap, and too little action.

You'll enjoy Avatar fight sequences, then.

There's no talking, no shouting out moves, maybe the occasional quip, but other than that, it's grunting, screaming or roaring angrily. There's never any pause to consider deep philosophical questions mid-battle, a la Naruto. And, this is important, every fight scene ENDS in the same episode it begins!

Maradon!
posted 06-27-2006 07:13:35 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Mr. Parcelan booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Also, you might have noticed, Aang is really bothered by the idea of killing people.

I noticed this, and I've also taken into account that killing Aang would be the worst of all possible scenarios for the fire kingdom. My statement still stands though: All the fight scenes, even ones that don't involve Aang at all, are fundimentally unsatisfying.

Sean
posted 06-27-2006 07:13:37 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Knight Rider:
[stuff]

And let's not forget Sokka. Sokka takes enough hits to account for the entire rest of the cast.

Besides, the whole damn point of fighting with *bending is to not hit your opponent physically.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-27-2006 07:16:36 PM
The bending styles are one of the deepest parts of the storyline. I love how much thought they put into them to make them diverse.

Firebending is about 95% offense, 5% miscellaneous use.

Airbending is about 90% defense, 10% offense.

Earthbending is an even 50/50.

Waterbending is, like, 30% offense and 70% miscellany.

Check out the latest episode in Season Two...Bitter Work, I think it's called. Iroh explains the bending styles through their people pretty well.

I just watched 'The Waterbending Scroll' again. There is one of the best examples of Iroh pwning.

Katara: "Aang, I'm so sorry...it's all my fault."
Aang: "No it isn't."
Iroh: "Yeah, it kind of is."

Mr. Parcelan fucked around with this message on 06-29-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Lashanna
noob
posted 06-27-2006 07:17:26 PM
I really like how the series' action sequences don't pause for slowdown, and there's no internal monologues, ("Wha! What power! Such a strong bender! Truly he is masterful to have perfected this ancient technique!"), and there's no cut-aways to characters flying against backdrops, or blurred things 'because they're moving so fast'. Everything is drawn.

Also, Season 2's Fire Nation stuff beats out anything else in the series, really. But it helps because they introduce the best character there too. How can you say no to patricide?

Lashanna fucked around with this message on 06-27-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Sean
posted 06-27-2006 07:19:47 PM
quote:
From the book of Lashanna, chapter 3, verse 16:
But it helps because they introduce the best character there too.

Clearly you mean in episode one, season one.

Maradon!
posted 06-27-2006 07:21:09 PM
I like how Sokka is a fuckup character without being a complete fuckup at all.
Talonus
Loner
posted 06-27-2006 07:23:40 PM
quote:
From the book of Mr. Parcelan, chapter 3, verse 16:
You'll enjoy Avatar fight sequences, then.

There's no talking, no shouting out moves, maybe the occasional quip, but other than that, it's grunting, screaming or roaring angrily. There's never any pause to consider deep philosophical questions mid-battle, a la Naruto. And, this is important, every fight scene ENDS in the same episode it begins!

Yarr, definitely on the too watch list... but my to watch list is too friggin long right now. (About 20 gigs worth of shows...)

Fights don't always have to begin and end in the same episode, and talking can be acceptable. Ruruno Kenshin (old) and Black Lagoon (new) are great examples of that. Most shows fuck up the flow with the talking though.

Talonus fucked around with this message on 06-27-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-27-2006 07:23:52 PM
quote:
Lashanna Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Also, Season 2's Fire Nation stuff beats out anything else in the series, really. But it helps because they introduce the best character there too. How can you say no to patricide?

Patricide, attempted fratricide and...uh...Irohcide.

Now that's fighting.

Lashanna
noob
posted 06-27-2006 07:24:42 PM
quote:
Sean obviously shouldn't have said:
Clearly you mean in episode one, season one.

no

Lashanna fucked around with this message on 06-27-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Aaron (the good one)
posted 06-27-2006 07:26:33 PM
I like how they make the animators go through the martial arts motion before drawing the fights.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-27-2006 07:26:51 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Lashanna wrote:
no

I'm going to have to agree with Sean here.

P.S. owned.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 06-27-2006 07:42:59 PM
Maradon!
posted 06-27-2006 07:46:55 PM
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-27-2006 07:47:42 PM
Losing Yue was the ultimate kick in the nuts for poor Sokka
Maradon!
posted 06-27-2006 07:48:26 PM
Yeah, that was pretty shitty
Sean
posted 06-27-2006 08:00:08 PM
This one is an absolute beast (2.5mb) because I suck at huge gifs, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Azula can lay down some really awesome jams.

Of course, so can Iroh.

Steven Steve
posted 06-27-2006 08:01:01 PM
Haha, you're forgetting the first season of Dragonball Z.

"It's Sunday! One more day and that building would have been filled with people!"

"Wait... I see parachutes! Everything's gonna be OK." (no parachutes)

Not to mention cutting out all the crying and tiny scrapes, haha. When is Avatar on? I'm too lazy to look it up.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-27-2006 08:04:24 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist loves Parcelan like a fat kid loves cake
Not to mention cutting out all the crying and tiny scrapes, haha. When is Avatar on? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Fridays at 8:00, usually. But there's not another one on until July 14th (but it's a two-parter mini-movie!)

And for those trying to play off the "nobody dies" business, keep in mind that they talk about death almost every single episode. They showed a skeleton, indicating pretty clearly that Monk Giatso died, and there's just tons of references to death.

"Daaaaaad's gooooonna kiiiiill yooooou!"

Maradon!
posted 06-27-2006 08:06:34 PM
Yeah, but the point is that the threat of death isn't even remotely present in most of the fights, and so there's no sense of peril, and so a lot of the tension falls completely flat.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 06-27-2006 at 08:06 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-27-2006 08:08:27 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
Yeah, but the point is that the threat of death isn't even remotely present in any of the fights, and so there's no sense of peril, and so a lot of the tension falls completely flat.

Well, it gets pretty intense when Azula comes around, so just be patient.

But, as you said, they can't kill Aang. If they do, he just reincarnates into a new one and, this time, they might not be able to stop him before he reaches full power.

Further, they don't want to kill his friends because then he might use the Avatar state and beat the crap out of them or they need to use them as bait for the Avatar.

And, as stated, Aang just doesn't like to kill people.

Sean
posted 06-27-2006 08:11:56 PM
Optimized and reuploaded for your viewing pleasure.

Maradon!
posted 06-27-2006 08:22:24 PM
For some reason animation shop only makes 3 kinds of gifs:

1) Very small ones

2) Very big ones that look like shit

3) Ones that are several times bigger than the half hour .avi they came from

Willias
Pancake
posted 06-28-2006 12:35:24 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan thought about the meaning of life:
Well, it gets pretty intense when Azula comes around, so just be patient.

But, as you said, they can't kill Aang. If they do, he just reincarnates into a new one and, this time, they might not be able to stop him before he reaches full power.

Further, they don't want to kill his friends because then he might use the Avatar state and beat the crap out of them or they need to use them as bait for the Avatar.

And, as stated, Aang just doesn't like to kill people.

But they can permanently destroy the Avatar if they can kill him in the Avatar state.

When they brought that bit up about the Avatar state, I got a huge feeling of foreshadowing as to what will later happen in the series.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-28-2006 12:55:08 AM
quote:
Willias spewed forth this undeniable truth:
But they can permanently destroy the Avatar if they can kill him in the Avatar state.

When they brought that bit up about the Avatar state, I got a huge feeling of foreshadowing as to what will later happen in the series.

But only Aang knows that.

Maradon!
posted 06-28-2006 01:18:02 AM
Thanks for unabashedly having out with the season 2 tidbits guys. No really it doesn't bother me
Aaron (the good one)
posted 06-28-2006 03:40:40 AM
You brought it upon yourself.
Willias
Pancake
posted 06-28-2006 09:25:31 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan was listening to Cher while typing:
But only Aang knows that.

Yeah, but it doesn't seem like one of those things you bring up in the storyline for no reason other than to make the main hero's berserk mode seem more dangerous.

Sean
posted 06-28-2006 10:01:55 AM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Thanks for unabashedly having out with the season 2 tidbits guys. No really it doesn't bother me

Waaahhh wahhhhh wWAAAAHHHHHHH

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-28-2006 10:16:54 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Maradon! gently hums:
I used the british spelling you peasant.

Except that's not the British spelling of the word, and even if it were it would still be wrong since the rest of your post didn't comply to that same standard.

So neener.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 06-28-2006 11:46:47 AM
Keep in mind that each of the four bending schools are actually real life martial arts styles. Earth is, of course, my favorite and also Tiger and Crane Kung Fu. It uses a long of strong steps. Fire is Chinese Northern Shaolin and Water is Tai Chi. I forget the name of the style used for Air, but it's based on constant movement and getting behind your opponen. So it's not a lot of made-up crap for the show.. it's real fighting, yo!
Steven Steve
posted 06-28-2006 11:48:26 AM
Well, real Kung Fu. Is everyone in this show Asian? WHERE ARE DA WHITES, HEH?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Sean
posted 06-28-2006 11:54:51 AM
quote:
Yes, Fazum'Zen Fastfist deserved to die, and I hope they burn in hell!
Well, real Kung Fu. Is everyone in this show Asian? WHERE ARE DA WHITES, HEH?

Most are Asian. Water Tribe seems Inuit based.

Maradon!
posted 06-28-2006 12:44:21 PM
I always thought the earth kingdom was kinda like white people
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: