EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: EA to aquire Mythic
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-21-2006 08:47:12 AM
Hooray.

quote:
EA TO ACQUIRE MYTHIC ENTERTAINMENT

Studio Recognized Worldwide for Top Development Talent, Critically

Acclaimed Franchises and Ground-Breaking Online Experiences

Redwood City, CA, June 20, 2006 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Virginia-based Mythic Entertainment®. Upon completion of the acquisition, Mythic Entertainment will become EA Mythic, a wholly-owned studio dedicated to developing Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs). Mythic is recognized worldwide for revolutionizing the online gaming space with the awardwinning Dark Age of Camelot® and is currently developing Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning™ under license agreement with Games Workshop.

The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals, and is expected to close during EA’s second quarter of fiscal 2007. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Upon completion of the acquisition, Mark Jacobs, the President, Chief Executive Officer and cofounder of Mythic, will become Vice President, General Manager of EA Mythic. Rob Denton, the Vice President, Chief Operating Officer and co-founder of Mythic will assume the role of Vice President, Chief Operating Officer of EA Mythic. Mythic’s 175-person development team will remain in Fairfax, Virginia.

“Mythic has always been a leading independent developer in the online space," says Mark Jacobs, CEO and co-founder of Mythic Entertainment. "EA's commitment to the online market as well as its focus on creating games of unsurpassed quality, scope and scale gives us opportunities and resources we could only dream about in the past."

“The addition of Mythic to the EA family reflects our deep commitment to the online gaming market worldwide. Mythic will bring one of the industry’s most talented MMORPG teams to EA. Together, we will create games that will introduce MMO players to a whole new level of game play and excitement,” said Paul Lee, President, EA Studios .

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 06-21-2006 07:38:35 PM
This can only end poorly.

If I had a lighter, it would be flaming right now.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Peter
Pancake
posted 06-21-2006 07:58:42 PM
O fuck me freddy, And I was looking forward to WAR.

EA Slayer of good gameing studios.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 06-21-2006 08:07:33 PM
Do you guys honestly believe that this will somehow destroy any potential for a good game?
Sean
posted 06-21-2006 09:26:54 PM
quote:
Liam had this to say about Cuba:
Do you guys honestly believe that this will somehow destroy any potential for a good game?

I wasn't aware there was any potential in the first place because it's Mythic.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-21-2006 09:38:22 PM
quote:
Sean obviously shouldn't have said:
I wasn't aware there was any potential in the first place because it's Mythic.

What? DAoC was hardly a bad game.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Tier
posted 06-21-2006 09:59:20 PM
quote:
Peter stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
EA Slayer of good gameing studios.

Yes, curses, they completely ruined Maxis with The Sims & Sim City 4. Not to mention that Battlefield 2 game, it sucked big time!

Give me a fucking break. Wait until the game is out before dissing it, or its publisher, okay?

Maradon!
posted 06-22-2006 12:40:22 AM
NOTHING GOOD COMES FROM BIG BUSINESS!!!
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-22-2006 01:11:21 AM
quote:
Maradon!'s unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

Or maybe people are just worried they will do to Warhammer Online what they did to Ultima Online 2.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 06-22-2006 04:32:52 AM
quote:
Asha'man posted

Yes, curses, they completely ruined Maxis with The Sims & Sim City 4. Not to mention that Battlefield 2 game, it sucked big time!

Give me a fucking break. Wait until the game is out before dissing it, or its publisher, okay?

But...Battlefield 2 did kind of suck. I mean, it was decent, but all they've done since release is nerf planes, halfway fix AA, introduce more bugs, and shovel out glorified map packs for $10/pop. Additionally, most of the maps are either complete shit or unbalanced. Nevermind the "hey let's nerf helicopters because the producer sez so!" patch.

And remember, kids, get ready to pony up $50 for 2142 in a couple months!

p.s. ranked servers were also a horrible idea and where's my fucking ctf arg.

Alidane fucked around with this message on 06-22-2006 at 04:34 AM.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 06-22-2006 05:26:59 AM
quote:
How.... JooJooFlop.... uughhhhhh:
What? DAoC was hardly a bad game.

DAoC would be an awesome game if you started at level 50 and were never allowed to leave the battlefields.

Mod
Pancake
posted 06-22-2006 05:54:17 AM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

There is no company in gaming that is not part of 'big business', the sheer amounts of capital involved make large-scale game development inaccessible to small companies.

Also I like BF2, it's a fun game. If you are a man and play the Sims, you have no balls.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Skaw
posted 06-22-2006 08:45:16 AM
quote:
Snoota had this to say about Pirotess:
DAoC would be an awesome game if you started at level 50 and were never allowed to leave the battlefields.

Theres already that game out. It's called PlanetSide.

Tarquinn
posted 06-22-2006 08:53:44 AM
quote:
Mythic (Marc Jacobs and Sanya):
As always, there is nothing wrong with being skeptical, worried or cynical (traits that are near and dear to my heart) but we will prove over the next 15 months why we deserved your trust and faith from the beginning.
WAR is still coming and nothing will change, except for the better and nothing will stop that.

- EA came to us. Not the other way around. And our deal with GOA (to work as partners on CS and simultaneous patches, etc) still stands.
- We have not been absorbed. Mark's title is the highest/best/most powerful one he can have. In other words, he remains the studio head.
- I don't blame MMO players for being nervous, but think about it - we KNOW the history of all previous deals. Only a complete monkey wouldn't have taken that history into account while the contracts were being written.

1) There are no changes in Mythic's personnel as part of this deal, none. I'm still heading up EA Mythic but with a different title, that's all. Many companies have tried to buy Mythic over the last 2 years and all of them started the discussions with "If the founders aren't going to stay, we are not interested." Frankly, you couldn't get me out of Mythic with a crowbar.

2) GW has fully blessed this agreement. They are excited about the possibilities for Warhammer going forward.

Games Workshop has final say over everything still. That has not changed. [...]
EA won't be hanging in forums. That's the job of my team

we did NOT NEED the money for development. I am terribly sorry if you got that impression from what I said, which was that I could see their MARKETING power being helpful since we focus our money on development.
We. Did. Not. Need. The. Money.

1) Nothing is changing with WAR or the WAR design. The game's goals are the same goals as they were before.
2) EA is not buying Mythic to interfere with the management or the game design of WAR.
3) EA has never, ever said that they want to change the deal with GW and to the contrary have reaffirmed their committment to the same deal that we made with them. They are incredibly excited about WAR especially after what they saw at E3.
4) I know many are going to find this hard to believe but we have spent a lot of time with the key guys at EA and we find their passion for doing great games and what they think is great, dovetails nicely with our current vision. We wouldn't have done this deal if EA had said to us, we want you to turn WAR into WoW 1.5.

GW (Erik Morgensen Licencing Manager):
Just wanted you to hear this from the horse's mouth. GW *are* 100% behind this deal, and we're every bit as excited by and committed too WAR as we have been from the start. We're going to remain just as involved in the project, and our approval processes are going to work exactly the same.
I, for one, am extemely excited about the opportunites this is going to bring to Mythic and WAR. Skepticism is only natural, so please keep your thoughts coming. But, you've liked what you've seen so far, and we're still going to continue to bring you more and better! This is *great* news for this game. Seriously

1. I'll be working with the same great people at Mythic, and will continue to work with them toward our shared vision for WAR.
2. I've seen loads more art and design documentation than you could possibly imagine, and the game is shaping up beautifully. E3 was but a tiny taste of what's coming.
3. We now have the world's largest independant publisher throwing its weight behind this game.
4. I have the advantage of having spent many days at Mythic, and have seen first hand Mark and his team's passion for WAR and Warhammer in general. I don't just believe that they won't ever allow themselves to compromise on quality, I *know* it.
5. We at Games Workshop retain full approval over all uses Warhammer imagery, characters, etc. including everything in the game and in the marketing campaign.

So, in terms of the quality of the game nothing can change except for the better. Just as before, if you guys don't like the game in the end, you'll have only Mythic and GW to blame. *Someone* had to publish the game, and now that someone is EA. That they thought so much of WAR they decided to buy Mythic is a pretty encouraging sign of their faith in WAR. See? All great news!

No one is going to try and mess WAR up. Purposefully damage a game that's already receiving rave previews? Not going to happen.

Don't have a link for those right now. But it sounds plausible.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Tarquinn
posted 06-23-2006 07:18:02 AM
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: