EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Democrats' talking points
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-15-2006 03:05:22 PM
And America's march to communism proceeds apace!

A novel approach, of course, would be to come right out with it and admit that taxes would have to go up. You might even get away with it you harp on having "fiscal responsibility" and say things like, "if we don't pay for it, our children will. Think of the children!" and "America can't live on credit forever."

I waver between "meh" and "friggin' finally!" on each of these. I'm glad that they'll fund stem cell and "science" research, whatever that means. I remain indifferent to jacking up the taxes on oil companies, though, but only I agree with the Republicans' handling of the coming energy crunch, for the most part.

So, whatever. None of this is going to happen unless the Dems take back the House and the Senate, and even then, it's going to be a hard sell to balance the budget again, because it necessitates tax increases.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 06-15-2006 03:13:03 PM
Some of this reads like the old GOP playbook.

quote:
Enact funding recommendations of the 9/11 Commission.

Institute lobbying reform, implement balanced budgets, pay down the national debt.

Enact tax changes to benefit entrepreneurs.

Focus national security strategy to nation's borders, increase port security.

I mean, the student loan stuff and the public transportation are old hat for these guys, but I thought the GOP was the party of business and security?

But you're right, taxes would either need to go up or the money taken out of other programs, like the oil subsidies mentioned.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Maradon!
posted 06-15-2006 03:15:40 PM
quote:
Karnajing:
So, whatever. None of this is going to happen unless the Dems take back the House and the Senate, and even then, it's going to be a hard sell to balance the budget again, because it necessitates tax increases.

I think you mean unbalance the budget again; federal income is through the roof and the defecit as a percentage of GDP is under 3% and falling. All because tax cuts increase federal revenue.

But yeah let's vote the collectivists into office. I want to see what it's like to have John Murtha as senate majority leader and Nancy "The Brain" Pelosi as speaker of the house.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 06-15-2006 at 03:16 PM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-15-2006 03:20:24 PM
quote:
Maradon! put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:
I think you mean unbalance the budget again; federal income is through the roof and the defecit as a percentage of GDP is under 3% and falling. All because tax cuts increase federal revenue.

Evidence/quantification of "through the roof."

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-15-2006 03:21:28 PM
Thier list comes down to fuck business, spend, spend, spend, spend, fuck business, spend, increase taxes, fuck big business, do the thing republicans are already doing, spend, screw big oil. Man sign me up!
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-15-2006 03:29:09 PM
quote:
Naimah got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Thier list comes down to fuck business, spend, spend, spend, spend, fuck business, spend, increase taxes, fuck big business, do the thing republicans are already doing, spend, screw big oil. Man sign me up!

It's them or republicans. Depressing, isn't it?

Personally I'm gonna vote towards conflicted legislative and evecutive branches. I don't care if it's democrats in the white house and republicans in congress or vice versa.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Maradon!
posted 06-15-2006 03:29:36 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Karnaj who doth quote:
Evidence/quantification of "through the roof."

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-15-2006 03:31:21 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Pirotess:
[xIMG]http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/reports/revenue%20growth.jpg[/xIMG]

It's a graph with shadows! How can you argue!

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-15-2006 03:31:32 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:
[xIMG]http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/reports/revenue%20growth.jpg[/IMG]

Now if only they were a little more shy about spending it.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Suddar
posted 06-15-2006 03:31:38 PM
I think Democrats would do a lot better if they just tried to be "sane" Republicans. Their values don't make much sense and that's probably why they don't attract as many votes. I don't like Democrats, but I like Republicans even less. That's a bad reason to vote for a party.

I like a lot of Republican beliefs but there are a few real problems that I have with their stances. Democrats try to address that but they're pretty far off the deep end too. I don't know what to do.

Maradon!
posted 06-15-2006 03:32:35 PM
quote:
x--JooJooFlopO-('-'Q) :
Now if only they were a little more shy about spending it.

You got me there. So let's vote in the democrats, I'm sure they'll do much better.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-15-2006 03:32:45 PM
quote:
Suddar thought about the meaning of life:
I think Democrats would do a lot better if they just tried to be "sane" Republicans. Their values don't make much sense and that's probably why they don't attract as many votes. I don't like Democrats, but I like Republicans even less. That's a bad reason to vote for a party.

I like a lot of Republican beliefs but there are a few real problems that I have with their stances. Democrats try to address that but they're pretty far off the deep end too. I don't know what to do.

Vote libertarian, you'll double their results.

Suddar
posted 06-15-2006 03:34:26 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Cuba:
Vote libertarian, you'll double their results.

And that's the problem with libertarians. I would vote for them but I know that it's just pissing my vote away until more than 12 people care.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-15-2006 03:36:12 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Maradon!!
You got me there. So let's vote in the democrats, I'm sure they'll do much better.

"Why are you complaining about me constantly punching you in the face? The other guy will probably stab you."

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-15-2006 03:36:19 PM
Hey, I'm going to vote lib during the midterms just because I know democrats can't win in my district. That's of course assuming that there is a lib running in my district.
Maradon!
posted 06-15-2006 03:38:45 PM
quote:
x--SuddarO-('-'Q) :
And that's the problem with libertarians. I would vote for them but I know that it's just pissing my vote away until more than 12 people care.

See I thought the point was to vote for a guy because you agreed with him, not to vote for a guy because you thought he was going to win.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-15-2006 03:39:00 PM
quote:
Suddar had this to say about Pirotess:

We're getting there. In a world where the Republicans leave a bad taste in their mouth and the Democrats have absolutely no strategy, Libertarianism is gaining with the voters.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-15-2006 04:10:03 PM
quote:
Maradon! got served! Maradon! got served!
[xIMG]http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/reports/revenue%20growth.jpg[/IMG]

Great, so, when do we start paying down the national debt some? Now, I'm well aware that a good chunk is owed essentially to ourselves, but about 60% of it is owed to private sources of some variety. That's what, about 5 trillion dollars?

Also, assuming a $10 trillion GDP, our defecit is still well in excess of $250 billion per year. If federal revenues are so high, why can't the party that's traditionally for curbing spending balance the budget? As I've said in other threads, this money has to be paid back eventually. Why not start now?

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 06-15-2006 04:20:55 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Karnaj who doth quote:
Great, so, when do we start paying down the national debt some?

The only meaningful measurement of defecit is as a percentage of GDP and that is decreasing rapidly, and that is the best of all possible circumstances.

If you think that the defecit as a static number is ever going to be "paid down" and that it would be a good thing, then you do not understand what the defecit is. If the defecit as a static number were to decrease, that would be a sign that the country is actually beginning to shrink rapidly in terms of population and economic breadth.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-15-2006 04:28:28 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Maradon! wrote:
The only meaningful measurement of defecit is as a percentage of GDP and that is decreasing rapidly, and that is the best of all possible circumstances.

If you think that the defecit as a static number is ever going to be "paid down" and that it would be a good thing, then you do not understand what the defecit is. If the defecit as a static number were to decrease, that would be a sign that the country is actually beginning to shrink rapidly in terms of population and economic breadth.

He said debt, not defecit.

Mod
Pancake
posted 06-15-2006 04:29:12 PM
quote:
Suddar said this about your mom:
I think Democrats would do a lot better if they just tried to be "sane" Republicans.

I doubt it. Public perception of things is shaped more by the ideas presented in public than people's self-researched opinions. What the left anywhere in the west needs to do is start drilling some of their issues into the public spehere in the same way that the right has made completely ridiculous issues like gay people marrying, scripture not being taught as scientific fact in schools and four week old fetuses into massive vote-winners. In politics you cannot ever engage the opposition on their own turf and win, since by engaging in a lengthy debate over whether the dragon Tiamat giving birth to the world is a legitimate scientific theory or not you are legitimizing the whole issue as a point of debate.

Also to be useful evidence that graph needs to go cover a longer timespan and be inflation-adjusted. As it is it barely covers one whole business cycle.

Edit: All this really doesn't do much good without a way to finance it. I can get on a soapbox and announce that I'm going to 'fix' a billion different programs for some easy cheers, but at some point something will have to fall by the wayside and it would be only honest to announce what that will be. I suspect that a lot of these proposals will fail because of internal DNC lobbying from various groups preventing any sort of compromise regarding the financing of such ideas.

Mod fucked around with this message on 06-15-2006 at 04:35 PM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-15-2006 04:34:19 PM
quote:
Maradon! still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:

Wait, what? I was talking about debt. You know, that $8 trillion we owe to ourselves and private entities. The national defecit is only what we add to that debt each year. So it's decreasing. Marvelous; it doesn't change the fact that we're still spending more money than we're taking in, and adding to the debt which must, eventually, be repaid.

Beer.

Mod
Pancake
posted 06-15-2006 04:37:09 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Karnaj said:
Wait, what? I was talking about debt. You know, that $8 trillion we owe to ourselves and private entities. The national defecit is only what we add to that debt each year. So it's decreasing. Marvelous; it doesn't change the fact that we're still spending more money than we're taking in, and adding to the debt which must, eventually, be repaid.

While debt is bad, productivity growth will absorb it eventually if deficits are kept to a minimum.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 06-15-2006 04:48:13 PM
I don't think anyone believes the United States will ever repay its national debt anyway.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-16-2006 07:33:00 AM
Most countries operate on some form of deficit spending. How much you owe to others is the measure of national strength, which is by and large why the US has been such a major player; other folks owed/owe more to us than we do to them.

I've been hearing rumblings that our current means of handling our money could seriously screw us in the not-so-distant future if China rampages onto the scene.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-16-2006 07:41:39 AM
Even with huge sums of money going to the war, the US nat'l debt as a percentage of GDP is pretty much right in line with that of other developed nations, as is our deficit.

In short: it's something to keep an eye on, but not a particularly bad thing and certainly not an emergency.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-16-2006 09:40:53 AM
As far as I understand it, it doesn't really matter if the national debt increases, provided that the GDP increases much faster. So, if you borrow and invest in infrastructure, the economy boost will absorb the debt, at least in relative terms.

Of course, I could just be talking Keynesian commie nonsense, but hey, what are they going to do, break your legs?

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: