EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So who can hear it?
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 06-12-2006 10:53:47 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/12/technology/12ring.html

The link is on the left side of the page.

I'm able to, even though the article says I shouldn't.

Sean
posted 06-12-2006 10:57:23 AM
Sup annoyingly high pitched ringtone that will be a bitch to hear in a crowd.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 06-12-2006 11:10:29 AM
Man that's irritating.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 06-12-2006 11:24:46 AM
I kinda hear it.

Mostly I just feel the torture it inflicts on my ears. It felt like my eardrums were trying to squeeze themselves into my brain.

Suddar
posted 06-12-2006 11:25:13 AM
I think this would be more effective on mid-30s-and-beyond adults, not over-18 adults (even though the stupid graph says otherwise, I don't really believe it). I could hear it just fine and yeah it was pretty annoying.

Suddar fucked around with this message on 06-12-2006 at 11:26 AM.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-12-2006 11:29:23 AM
I can hear it.

Ow.

It can be categorized using a combination of the following: chicks chirping, malfunctioning CRT monitors, and speaker/microphone feedback.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-12-2006 12:41:01 PM
Sounds like that thing some people hear when in a place with total silence, only more piercing.

I often hear it on the can.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-12-2006 01:48:23 PM
Turning thirty in a few months and I can hear it.

It stings and hurts.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Tier
posted 06-12-2006 03:07:27 PM
Thought I couldn't hear anything at first. Then I turned the volume up. Egads, I wouldn't want that for a ringtone =p
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-12-2006 03:42:39 PM
I can hear it just fine, and I'm 40. Which goes to prove the amount of junk science and rumor floating around disguised as reality. Kids think word of mouth--*cough*Wikipedia*cough*--is more accurate than established sources of peer-reviewed knowledge.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blackened
posted 06-12-2006 03:43:58 PM
quote:
Bloodsage.
Kids think word of mouth--*cough*Wikipedia*cough*--is more accurate than established sources of peer-reviewed knowledge.
YEAH THOSE FUCKING KIDS AND THEIR FUCKING WIKIPEDIA

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-12-2006 03:57:13 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Blackened squealed:
YEAH THOSE FUCKING KIDS AND THEIR FUCKING WIKIPEDIA

Wikipedia isn't the problem, but merely a symptom of that type of fallacious thinking.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 06-12-2006 05:06:38 PM
holy shit, thats loud. Why would they do this!?
roit, less bash 'is noggin
Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 06-12-2006 05:58:36 PM
Ouchies!~
Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Suddar
posted 06-12-2006 06:01:41 PM
I'm thinking I didn't hear it as much as some of you, because it was more of a piercing hum to me than an aural needle. Too many loud concerts for me.

It did hurt, but some of these posts are suggesting a loudness far beyond what I experienced.

Suddar fucked around with this message on 06-12-2006 at 06:02 PM.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 06-12-2006 06:20:02 PM
I have expected hearing loss due to flightline work. But I still heard it a little bit.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Willias
Pancake
posted 06-12-2006 06:40:24 PM
quote:
malfunctioning CRT monitors

Sounds like that.

quote:
Sounds like that thing some people hear when in a place with total silence, only more piercing.

And like that, except it isn't as piercing for me. When I get stuck in a silent room, my ears start killing me. D:

quote:
I can hear it just fine, and I'm 40. Which goes to prove the amount of junk science and rumor floating around disguised as reality. Kids think word of mouth--*cough*Wikipedia*cough*--is more accurate than established sources of peer-reviewed knowledge.

Jeez, that post made you sound like a really old fart, Bloodsage.

My dad is 53 and he can't hear the whistling noise that, as 'Doc said, malfunctioning CRT monitors make. One of my brother's previous monitors would make a horrible noise that only happened upon being set to a certain resolution and refresh rate. My dad was the only one in our apartment that couldn't hear it.

Willias fucked around with this message on 06-12-2006 at 06:41 PM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-12-2006 07:47:55 PM
I heard it.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-12-2006 08:14:48 PM
My wife flipped out, but I barely, barely heard it.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Demos
Pancake
posted 06-12-2006 08:20:14 PM
New site with samples, test how high you can hear

Yes, stolen shamelessly from fark. I was able to hear up to the 25k.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Sean
posted 06-12-2006 08:25:41 PM
I could hear all of them but the 21k
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 06-12-2006 08:31:13 PM
quote:
Demos had this to say about Duck Tales:
New site with samples, test how high you can hear

Yes, stolen shamelessly from fark. I was able to hear up to the 25k.

I stopped being able to hear them at 19k.

The original post was audible to me, but wasn't overly annoying or anything.

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
«Banned»
Not A Winner
posted 06-12-2006 08:54:03 PM
I can't hear past 17k.

Did anyone try this next to a dog? That shit's gotta be hilarious.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Suddar
posted 06-12-2006 08:54:50 PM
I think those have a lot of background noise or something, people shouldn't be able to hear 25k frequencies or so I thought

I could hear something in all of them, but I don't know if it's what I was meant to hear or not.

Or maybe my ears just rock, I dunno.

Suddar fucked around with this message on 06-12-2006 at 08:56 PM.

Leftover Mog
posted 06-12-2006 08:56:19 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Vallo wrote:
I stopped being able to hear them at 19k.

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

LeMiere
posted 06-12-2006 09:01:09 PM
16k max. And my father wouldn't be able to hear that tone in the original article. At all. Then again, he can't hear the tone used for an open car door.
Leftover Mog
posted 06-12-2006 09:06:54 PM
quote:
From the book of LeMiere, chapter 3, verse 16:
16k max. And my father wouldn't be able to hear that tone in the original article. At all. Then again, he can't hear the tone used for an open car door.

If he can't hear the seatbelt not buckeled beeb they have in some new cars he is the luckeist man in the world

Won't you be my friend

Suddar
posted 06-12-2006 09:10:37 PM
quote:
Leftover Mog had this to say about (_|_):
If he can't hear the seatbelt not buckeled beeb they have in some new cars he is the luckeist man in the world

Maybe you should buckle your seatbelt I hear that makes it go away

Or wait are you too punk for that

Led
*kaboom*
posted 06-12-2006 10:03:21 PM
Goddang it, I cannot hear anything past 16k.

Stupid swimming pool and the makey-ears-go-explodey >;p

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 06-12-2006 10:12:05 PM
I have tinitis. My ears ring all the time. I'm also losing my hearing above 21k hertz. I can detect some of that page above at 22k and 23k but nothing higher. I'm 35 and I can hear that ringtone just fine and it hurts like hell. It's like a nasty harmonic of my tinitis. I'd kill any kid that had that as a ringtone.

I tried the ringtone on my wife who is also 35 and she can't hear it at all.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 06-12-2006 10:16:43 PM
I got up to 21kHz, but anything past 17k-18k or so was difficult to notice. I'm not sure if I was actually hearing the sound, or if there was something else, like background noise.
Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 06-12-2006 10:23:42 PM
I am 38, I can't hear anything past 15. Which is making total sense now. I am always having to ask UBT to turn up the tv.

I am goin' deaf!

Talonus
Loner
posted 06-12-2006 10:27:38 PM
quote:
Suddar wrote this stupid crap:
I think those have a lot of background noise or something, people shouldn't be able to hear 25k frequencies or so I thought

Test is flawed. MP3s can't produced more than 22kHz, which is why the 22k to 25k all sound the exact same. Then throw in possible other issues, like audio equipment, volume you're playing the sound at, background noise, etc. Interesting test, but pointless at the upper ranges.

Also, I believe you can go above that range. Many people can hear a high pitched noise from functional CRT monitors or televisions that borders on the upper range of their hearing capability. I could when I was younger, but thankfully I don't really have the problem anymore.

quote:
Sean had this to say about John Romero:
I could hear all of them but the 21k

You can have troubles with particular frequencies. It does depend on the person too. I can hear from 10-16 and 20-25 (well, 22 technically as I mentioned). Both 16k and 20k make my ears want to burst too.

Talonus fucked around with this message on 06-12-2006 at 10:30 PM.

Leftover Mog
posted 06-12-2006 10:51:02 PM
quote:
Suddar attempted to be funny by writing:
Or wait are you too punk for that

YOU'R JUST BEING A BIGOT!

Won't you be my friend

Suddar
posted 06-12-2006 10:56:14 PM
Well cool. I'm fine with being able to hear up to 22k anyway, you can't ask for much better than that.
Willias
Pancake
posted 06-12-2006 11:06:32 PM
I can only hear up to 19k. 20k and up and I hear nothing.
Willias
Pancake
posted 06-12-2006 11:21:54 PM
My dad can't hear past 11k, my mom can't hear past 12k.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 06-13-2006 12:08:43 AM
quote:
Talonus thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Test is flawed. MP3s can't produced more than 22kHz, which is why the 22k to 25k all sound the exact same. Then throw in possible other issues, like audio equipment, volume you're playing the sound at, background noise, etc. Interesting test, but pointless at the upper ranges.

The samples above 22khz are .wav files.

EDIT: I can hear to 18k with my right ear, and 17k with my left.

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 06-13-2006 at 12:11 AM.

Steven Steve
posted 06-13-2006 12:11:17 AM
quote:
Verily, Kaglaaz How'ler doth proclaim:
I have tinitis. My ears ring all the time. I'm also losing my hearing above 21k hertz. I can detect some of that page above at 22k and 23k but nothing higher. I'm 35 and I can hear that ringtone just fine and it hurts like hell. It's like a nasty harmonic of my tinitis. I'd kill any kid that had that as a ringtone.

I tried the ringtone on my wife who is also 35 and she can't hear it at all.

Yeah I have tinnitis also, and I stop hearing after 19 KHz. I have both physical and mental tinnitis too, and it sounds pretty similar to this.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 06-13-2006 12:26:46 AM
quote:
Arttemis posted

The samples above 22khz are .wav files.

edit2: I'm retarded and should click on the link.

Alidane fucked around with this message on 06-13-2006 at 12:28 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: