EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Ghost Rider
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-26-2006 08:04:43 AM
I don't think I like the choice of Nicholas Cage for the role, but other than that, I think it looks pretty good.

Link to the trailer on YouTube

The CGI in some cases doesn't look like it's finished, but since the movie is set to release next february, I imagine they're going to be cleaning up a lot of those effects.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 05-26-2006 at 08:08 AM.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 05-26-2006 12:47:34 PM
That was by far my favourite comic book when I used to read them. I don't think Nicholas Cage was a very good choice either, I'll see the movie though, that's for sure.
'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 05-26-2006 01:59:57 PM
Nicolas Cage is a good choice for anything.

+ Eva fucking Mendez. I pop wood just thinking her name.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-26-2006 06:43:02 PM
Word is they'd like Ghost Rider to either take the place of the Blade franchise (which is going to a TV series) in the movies, or they'd like it to open the door to some of the other darker or supernatural Marvel characters (though aside from Hannibal King, Blade, and Ghost Rider, I don't know who else I'd consider supernaturals...Dr Strange maybe but you can't do a film on him).

Trailer looks surprisingly good for a film coming out in February. Means they have more than six months to edit, tweak special effects, etc. Could be good. This morning I was worried it was going to suck ass, but that looks better than I was expecting.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 05-26-2006 10:20:16 PM
Looks pretty awesome. I'll be looking forward to this one.
roit, less bash 'is noggin
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-26-2006 10:48:31 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael attempted to be funny by writing:
Dr Strange maybe but you can't do a film on him

Why not?

Start at the begining, take a sort of "Batman Begins" approach on it. Maybe put more of a horror spin on it.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 05-27-2006 01:53:39 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael obviously shouldn't have said:
Word is they'd like Ghost Rider to either take the place of the Blade franchise (which is going to a TV series) in the movies

Who is going to be played by Sticky Fingaz from Onyx. D:

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 05-27-2006 07:44:01 AM
I think it will be pretty good, but mostly because I read somewhere that Nicolas Cage is actually a big Ghost Rider fan. It helps if the actor actually enjoys the source material that they're working on. There are enough Halle Berry's and Kirsten Dunst's running around.

-H

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 05-27-2006 09:15:37 AM
Johhny Depp as Doctor Strange.

You heard it here first.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-27-2006 09:19:23 AM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Why not?

Start at the begining, take a sort of "Batman Begins" approach on it. Maybe put more of a horror spin on it.

Dr Strange would come off as being very much like Hellboy (which I liked), without the humor elements balancing out the fact you're dealing with some seriously grim stuff. Besides, Strange isn't a supernatural investigator.

And to be blunt, you can't DO a "Batman Begins" approach. Keep in mind that what made "Batman Begins" cool is that everyone knew the story, or the general shape of it, going in. Fleshing it out is what made it cool. Dr Strange was an arrogant asshole of a surgeon with amazingly skilled hands who got in a car wreck, essentially joined the new-age hippy movement, and eventually found a wizened master who taught him the arcane arts. Without getting dangerously close to Hogwarts territory (sad, but true; Harry Potter has a near-monopoly on wizard themes these days) how would to discuss his training?

Besides I've yet to see a movie, TV or Big-Screen, that handled wizards well. Comic books barely handle it, and that's mainly because you can see what the wizard is thinking. You can tell a fighter sort is exerting himself because it's all these big macro-visual movements and signs of fatigue. How do you convey how difficult a spell is to cast in the heat of the moment? Sweat running down your face?

Besides...who would Strange talk to? How would you keep Strange from turning into another "Constantine" movie?

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-27-2006 09:24:52 AM
quote:
Verily, Snoota doth proclaim:
Who is going to be played by Sticky Fingaz from Onyx. D:

Yeah I saw an interview with him in Wizard a few months back. Bugger.

And yeah, Tok, Cage is an insane fan of comics. That's where he got the "Cage" in his name from. He's actually Francis Ford Coppola's nephew or something. Took "Cage" from Power Man/Luke Cage.

Maradon!
posted 05-27-2006 02:14:07 PM
quote:
x--Ja'Deth Issar Ka'baelO-('-'Q) :
...Dr Strange maybe but you can't do a film on him).

And why the hell not?

Dr. Strange is one of my favorite characters

I could easily see them taking a little liscense with the character and doing a whole awesome paranormal X-Files-meets-X-Men sorta thing.

The Dr. Strange story line has been played with so much that one more rennovation really wouldn't hurt much.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-27-2006 at 02:15 PM.

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 05-27-2006 03:30:12 PM
As a matter of fact, there was a Doctor Strange movie. It wasn't that good, and I don't remember how much of that was bad. Some of you probably knew about it, though.
Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Maradon!
posted 05-27-2006 06:26:39 PM
Wow I totally did not read those two posts prior to mine.

I still disagree though. Dr. Strange started out as an arrogant prick of an antihero sure, but the basic idea is that he becomes sorceror supreme and guardian of earth.

There was even a series of comics retelling Dr. Strange's origins, just called "Strange" I believe, based off the unused script for a proposed movie.

Skaw
posted 05-27-2006 06:46:30 PM
Screw Dr. Strange. Need a Dr. Orpheus movie.
Maradon!
posted 05-27-2006 06:54:47 PM
The thing about Dr. Strange is that the comics really don't set much up in the way of rules for him, and there's a lot of self-contradiction. You'll find him doing something like controlling people's minds with ease one issue, and in the next saying that it's not possible for magic to do that.

In terms of consistency and from a storytelling perspective, the good doctor is little more than a character comprised entirely of deus ex machina. He can never really be in trouble because he can just pull a spell out of his ass and win or at least escape. As I understand it you saw a lot of this in the formative years of a lot of super heroes, however, it's just that the Strange writers never gave it up.

That said, the reason I like the character is because it has such potential. It's the story of an arrogant and self-centered prick who goes searching for power for all the wrong reasons, and upon finding it discovers altruism.

In the comics, Strange was something of a playground character where the writers did whatever over the top crap they wanted to, but in my opinion if you establish a set of rules for the guy, his origin is compelling and original enough to make a really appealing story.

Further, the nature of his powers as a superhero opens the door to all sorts of dramatic extra-dimensional conflict, a`la Constantine and Hellboy, without seeming too out of place or excessively over-the-top as it tended to in those stories.

Plus Strange has style and he's a badass, and he's got a "Juliet" love interest plot built right in.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: