EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: My XBox died.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-25-2006 09:49:55 AM
I was watching a movie in the XBox the other day with some friends and everything seemed happy and normal (once I get some new audio cables, I'll hook up my 5-disc dvd player again)... once the movie was taken out of the Xbox, the strangest thing happened.

I had never seen such behavior before!

The little circular light around the eject button was cycling from green to red and there was this black screen that came up with the words "Your Xbox needs service. Please contact technical support" in 5 6 different languages.

Thinking that it was something similar to the awesome "Your disk may be dirty" error message, we just powered it down and back up a few times and the error never went away. So at that point, I was of the mind that this thing being over 5 years old would have no warranty to speak of, so I went and got my computernerd screwdriver kit and popped the case open to look for anything out of the ordinary. I even took some canned air to it to blow out any dust or anything that might have gotten lodged in there.

After completely disassembling the machine and putting it back together, it was doing the same thing.

So I broke down and tried Microsoft's knowledge base and found the error in their FAQ pretty easily. It says "If you're receiving this error, it's from a firmware or software problem." WOW, MICROSOFT, THANKS! Because I mean, duh?

And it says the solution is to try powering it off and back on again. Wow, reboot. Thanks again.

If that fails, it says to call them at 1-800-4MY-XBOX. So I did. I expected to be on hold forever, but after like choosing 2-3 menu options, I had someone on the phone that spoke perfect English immediately. It was neat.

Anyway, after discussing the problem with her and such, she told me that my machine was indeed out of warranty, but that Microsoft would still be willing to repair it for me and that they'd be happy to cover the shipping costs, but it would cost me $79.99 to have them fix it.

80 bucks! I can go buy a new one for 100 and not have to worry about waiting however long it takes for them to get it, fix it, and send it back! How retarded, I mused.

Then she mentioned that they'd only do that if the machine had never been opened. To which I was like "Doh. I just opened it to clean it out with canned air." So she told me they won't repair "tampered machines."

The funeral service will be held tomorrow at 4pm CDT at my home in Houston, Texas.

Sean
posted 05-25-2006 09:51:05 AM
You can buy a new X-Box for $100?
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-25-2006 09:52:08 AM
I know people.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-25-2006 10:01:41 AM
I heard things.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

«Banned»
Not A Winner
posted 05-25-2006 10:02:19 AM
quote:
Bajah Model 2000 was programmed to say:
I know people.

Thieves?

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-25-2006 10:06:49 AM
If I knew thieves, I could get one for free.
Think, man, think.
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 05-25-2006 10:40:18 AM
haha
its a firmwear update.. but its 80 bucks to fix haha
I think its time to mod that bitch
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 05-25-2006 12:30:31 PM
Fireworks! FIREWORKS!
«Banned»
Not A Winner
posted 05-25-2006 12:58:11 PM
quote:
This one time, at Bajah camp:
If I knew thieves, I could get one for free.
Think, man, think.

Thieves steal stuff to make a profit or keep it for themselves...imo.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-25-2006 01:25:42 PM
quote:
This is what Mr. John Q. Gainsborough Esq. III is doing. This is what I want Mr. John Q. Gainsborough Esq. III to do :

Thieves steal stuff to make a profit or keep it for themselves...imo.

Then they wouldn't be people I would trust, either, so therefore they would have no business from me.

Like those guys that pull up to people in parking lots and go "Hey, I happen to have some spare speakers that I couldn't sell so I thought perhaps you looked like a fine upstanding gentleman. You think you'd be interested in a really good deal?"

«Banned»
Not A Winner
posted 05-25-2006 01:27:40 PM
My PS2 was more than likely stolen at one point before I purchased it. It ran for several years without me touching it fine.
Mightion Defensor
posted 05-25-2006 01:28:59 PM
Did you manage to get your save games and stuff off the hard drive?
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-25-2006 01:30:41 PM
Newp.

Gonna try, though.

Mightion Defensor
posted 05-25-2006 01:32:32 PM
New plan, then.

1. Remove HD.
2. Viking funeral?

Oh yeah, unhook the DVD thinger before you do that.

Chugga
Pancake
posted 05-25-2006 02:29:12 PM
Mod it! Get a cheap chip for like 20 bucks and solder that bitch in their. If their firmware/software is corrupt, fine put your own on and use it for a media center! That's all my Xbox does, and Halo 2 on Live, I own no other games lol.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 05-25-2006 04:24:04 PM
My XBox is a very large paper weight.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-25-2006 05:53:59 PM
I got a refurb a while back because there were finally a number of games I either 1. couldn't play elsewhere at the time, or 2. thought I'd enjoy on the console more.

Now I find I should have just got a 360, because I could play all the old XBox games I wanted, and now there is a mighty legion of games I shall desire in the future.

And really, folks...viking funeral? You could PUT a viking IN the XBox.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 05-25-2006 06:18:53 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael painfully thought these words up:
And really, folks...viking funeral? You could PUT a viking IN the XBox.

Instead of giving your xbox a viking funeral you should build a rowboat, take your xbox into your backyard, fill it with water, place a viking in the rowboat, the rowboat in the xbox, and hold a viking funeral in it!

plus after your done you'll have an incredibly cheep outdoor pool!

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-25-2006 06:24:43 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Tron:
My XBox is a very large paper weight.

It's huge!

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-25-2006 06:26:56 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan said:
It's huge!

LOL!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-26-2006 06:46:56 PM
My only complaint about how the 360 looks is that it looks kinda like a Mr Coffee.

You can drink coffee while playing Mr XBox.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Mightion Defensor
posted 05-26-2006 06:49:32 PM
quote:
And the Replyobots combined to form Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael, who roared:
My only complaint about how the 360 looks is that it looks kinda like a Mr Coffee.

You can drink coffee while playing Mr XBox.

Yes... and if you replace an Xbox with an Xbox360, you then have room to place a coffee pot next to the 360. And Juan Valdez and his donkey. And his coffee bean farm.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-26-2006 06:51:57 PM
Not under the new immigration laws.

Maradon!
posted 05-26-2006 08:05:45 PM
The answer is that Nintendo probably sucks.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-26-2006 08:29:27 PM
Maradon also likes to drink coffee while watching rada-er...playing XBox.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-27-2006 08:24:55 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor has funnier quote texts than me:
Yes... and if you replace an Xbox with an Xbox360, you then have room to place a coffee pot next to the 360. And Juan Valdez and his donkey. And his coffee bean farm.

Are you suggesting it's large, you coy devil you?!

Blackened
posted 05-27-2006 10:00:41 PM
quote:
Liam.
Are you suggesting it's large, you coy devil you?!
This is what I hear

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Maradon!
posted 05-28-2006 01:58:57 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'baeling:
Maradon also likes to drink coffee while watching rada-er...playing XBox.

Now that I have my coffee, I'm ready to watch radar.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: