EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Camping laws
Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 05-23-2006 02:51:17 PM
On the sides of highways thier is often woods that go on for quite a bit, would it be legal to camp in them?, I've been hitting google pretty hard with no luck, thanks in advanced everyone.

Me and a few friends have been dieing to get out of the city lately and biking like crazy, so this seemed like a fun way to spend a couple of days

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 05-23-2006 03:06:24 PM
I doubt it. Generally you would want to stick to things like parks or state land set aside specifically for recreational use. I don't know where you are, or I would dig up a few examples of places you might consider.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-23-2006 03:31:57 PM
Laws vary from state to state, but here on the east coast, you can generally only camp in designated state, county, or municipal parks, and only in designated areas, and only for a fee. But in Nevada, for instance, you can camp on any land owned by the BLM (which is a good chunk of the state).
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Dave
)_(
posted 05-23-2006 04:24:56 PM
You could probaly go down to your city hall and find out who owns that land. Then contact them to see if you can camp there.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-23-2006 06:27:44 PM
why would you want to camp on the side of a highway?
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Leftover Mog
posted 05-23-2006 08:52:30 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael was naked while typing this:
why would you want to camp on the side of a highway?

Cause thats the only wilderness I've seen in years and I dont know where any otheris, plus i figured we'd go a few miles in.

Bah, thats what I was afraid of, thansk everyone, I live in New York, so bah, that probaply counts as the east =p

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

Malbi
posted 05-23-2006 09:57:35 PM
quote:
Leftover Mog wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Cause thats the only wilderness I've seen in years and I dont know where any otheris, plus i figured we'd go a few miles in.

Bah, thats what I was afraid of, thansk everyone, I live in New York, so bah, that probaply counts as the east =p

its usually private property, so I doubt it, and I bet it doesn't go as far back as you think before you hit something, or get shot

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Ryuujin
posted 05-23-2006 10:29:28 PM
You'll end up sleeping in rest stop bathrooms.
Peter
Pancake
posted 05-23-2006 11:14:12 PM
quote:
Leftover Mog stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

Look you have up state NY to find some camp grounds, otherwise I know for a fact there are some with in 1/2 days ride in Jersey, hell Lebanon and LBI I think are full blown KOA style camp grunds, and you are still within a reasonable distance to drive to the shore points. Hell Sandy hook has campgrounds...but i hope yall like posion ivy, the area is rife with it.

Razor
posted 05-24-2006 01:35:35 AM
If it's BLM land, it's open game, just be clean about yourselves, and don't be stupid about fires.

If it's private property, ask first, some will be kind and allow to use their land, and be respectful of them and their land.

If it's government property, make sure you are allowed to camp there in the first place, if yes, follow the basics about zero(no)-trace camping.

The point though is ask the county government, they should have the maps of land where it's permissable to camp and what not. don't ask the city government unless you plan on camping in city limits.

From my camping experiences, it's best to follow the zero trace camping policy because it A: keep the environment cleaner; B: can prevent unwanted fires; C: leaves the beauty of nature intact for someone in the future, which if well cared for, may become a regular camping spot.

Personally, I think it would be good to go to a state or national park, and if you follow their guidelines, you'll have a great stay, and well known trails (although some may not be traveled regularly), so if you find yourself lost, you'll be found quicker. Just be safe about things, and you'll be fine.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 05-24-2006 05:38:19 AM
Mog, make plans to go to Western NY, the Finger Lakes/Canadaigua region. Beautiful areas, and if you're looking for entertainment too, check out the Grassroots Festival. 4 days of camping and music from all over the world.
Leftover Mog
posted 05-24-2006 12:27:41 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone, the problem is none of us have access to a car, so i was kinda hoping to find a place within like 50 miles.

And yah, don't worry, I know its not cool to leave a mess in the woods, or to start a fire when I have no idea how (figured we'd just use flashlights/lanterns)

Won't you be my friend

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-24-2006 05:31:58 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Leftover Mog said this:
or to start a fire when I have no idea how (figured we'd just use flashlights/lanterns)

You should not try camping by yourself. And by yourself, I mean that I include yourself and any friends that aren't experienced campers.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Sean
posted 05-24-2006 05:34:46 PM
..Jesus christ, just pitch a tent in your back yard.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Leftover Mog
posted 05-24-2006 06:43:53 PM
quote:
Densetsu attempted to be funny by writing:
You should not try camping by yourself. And by yourself, I mean that I include yourself and any friends that aren't experienced campers.

I've been camping twice before, so it's not like I'm completly clueless, I just had nothing to do with the fire either of those times.

quote:
Sean thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
..Jesus christ, just pitch a tent in your back yard.

Myself and everyone I know live in apartments, plus that would eliminate the being in a forrest part which is what I'm realy kean on.

Won't you be my friend

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 05-24-2006 06:52:42 PM
Everyone say their goodbyes to mog. We'll never be seeing him again.
Sean
posted 05-24-2006 07:13:47 PM
The side of a road is not forest. And if it's a busy road you won't get a goddamned bit of sleep.

But sleep isn't the problem when you're being RAPED BY WILD BEARS.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 05-25-2006 05:35:30 AM
If you have a bonfire going, and its been going good for an hour or so, carefully place a Mt Dew can in the central plume of flame, right where the colors of flame shift. Wait a few seconds.

It MUST be a soda can. Beer cans do not work. Mt Dew works best, because of the green can. Beer does not work because of the alloy content of the can.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-25-2006 06:16:33 PM
I hope-a you get raped by some Italians.

Bonjourno!

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-25-2006 07:54:34 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I hope-a you get raped by some Italians.

Bonjourno!

The goombas aren't in Newyark this time of year...there here at the fucking shore all ready

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-26-2006 06:48:20 PM
This whole "getting back to nature" thing sounds like those guys who get together, strip down, and bang on drums over a weekend spent mainly drunk and trying to hump/avoid being humped by the other guys and wild animals.
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-27-2006 02:13:29 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael's fortune cookie read:
This whole "getting back to nature" thing sounds like those guys who get together, strip down, and bang on drums over a weekend spent mainly drunk and trying to hump/avoid being humped by the other guys and wild animals.

Just going to a campsite is best.

Camping in New York is like trying to find a black guy in Arkansas.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-27-2006 08:53:23 AM
I don't have a problem with camping.

It's the phrasing Mogster used that worried me. Like a communing thing. I've been camping a LOT in my life and while I enjoyed the scenery, it was never a communing experience. It was a fun diversion from the norm, then I went home. It wasn't a reconnecting with nature thing.

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-27-2006 10:33:22 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael:
....communing experience.....

When I go camping I commune with beer.

Peter fucked around with this message on 05-27-2006 at 10:34 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: