EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: New Alliance Race - Looks like... Eredar?
Yuri
posted 05-09-2006 01:01:32 PM

wtfux.. Looks Eredarish. Maybe they added face tentacles to Draenei?

Also, Tier3 armor is starting to appear over here and also some information about craftable frost armor and two legendary items to be introduced (Ashbringer!/some staff).

Looking very interesting!

Yuri fucked around with this message on 05-09-2006 at 01:02 PM.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-09-2006 01:33:20 PM
Look down like ten posts, tops.

Nice pics, though. Makes me think of that Gargoyles cartoon.

Yuri
posted 05-09-2006 01:57:19 PM
quote:
Bajah was naked while typing this:
Look down like ten posts, tops.

Nice pics, though. Makes me think of that Gargoyles cartoon.

but but.. I had pictures and info on t3 armor! I should read more often I guess

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-09-2006 06:42:24 PM
I guess my thread just wasn't cool enough.

Anyway, apparently someone over at PC Gamer posted this bit of info, which actually makes the "Eredar" race make sense. Original thread got deleted though, so it can't be linked.

quote:
As the thunderous steps of Archimonde's army approached the summit of Mount Hyjal, all hope seemed lost. The camps of Jaina Proudmoore and the Warchief Thrall were overrun, and the forces of Archdruid Malfurian Stormrage were fighting for their life.

Then, the moment feared by all those fighting for the fate of Azeroth arrived. The Night Elf army was overrun, and the great Eredar warlock, destroyer of countless worlds, arrogantly marched to the World Tree. With flames surging in his eyes, he grasped the trunk with one vile claw... and the entire summit was shattered in a burst of brilliant, white light.

When the radiance faded, nothing remained of Archimonde but a charred skeleton, resting in the branches of the fatally-damaged Nordrassil. Malfurion, Jaina, and Thrall emerged from hiding; it was all an elaborate trap designed by Malfurion to take advantage of the demon's arrogance. In his lust for the World Tree's power, he did not notice the gathering flock of wisps take their positions around him and detonate themselves in a torrent of nature's fury.

With their commander gone, the remainder of the Burning Legion's army was cast into disarray. Malfurion and his companions escaped from the summit of Mount Hyjal, and the remaining Night Elves silently reflected upon the sacrifices of their Wisp companions.

Yet, the spirits of the Wisps lived on. Floating invisibly throughout Mount Hyjal and nearby Felwood, they began to slowly intertwine with the demons that had taken up residence there. Almost imperceptively their presence began to twist the forms and minds of the local Satyrs and other foul, demonic creatures.

Now, a handful of these creatures have been transformed in mind and body; they have the thoughts of the Night Elf spirits coarsing through their veins, yet their bodies mutated to take the form of the last creature the Wisps had made contact with -- the Eredar warlock, Archimonde.

Ashamed of their foul appearance, these creatures took into hiding beneath the roots of the shattered World Tree, Nordrassil. Despite their attempts to hide themselves from the outside world, they found themselves under constant seige from the demons who came to view them as abominations.

Now, with their very existance threatened, these Eredar -- demon in form, Night Elf in mind -- have made an impassioned plea to join the Alliance.

Makes players go "Huh?"? Check.
Makes players go "Cool!"? Check.
Greatly twists the lore? Check.

AND there's a place on Kalimdor perfect for the little newb Half-Eredars! Hyjal.

I'm going to say this isn't fake. It's definately real. More realistic, graphically and lore-wise, than any fake attempt at the Alliance race thus far.

I for one, welcome our new demonic overlords.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-09-2006 07:17:14 PM
Eh...I guess it's no sillier than the Blood Elves.
Willias
Pancake
posted 05-09-2006 07:19:44 PM
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-09-2006 07:21:32 PM
I would have preferred it if they had kept the Eredar evil, though. I mean, the Alliance is already the evil side. This would have just solidified it.
Suddar
posted 05-09-2006 07:35:48 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mr. Parcelan said this:
Alliance is already the evil side.

Wrong.

Anyway, I'll be overjoyed if it isn't the Draenei (spelling sucks, am i rite). Who cares about those losers anyway?

Maradon!
posted 05-09-2006 07:49:50 PM
quote:
x--WilliasO-('-'Q) :
Makes players go "Huh?"? Check.

Makes players go "What an unbelievably idiotic plot idea!"

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-09-2006 07:50:53 PM
Top half of the Eredar vs Blood Elf mural.

Also, the lore I posted has a good chance of being fake. As it doesn't take into consideration the following thing: While in the mural, the eredar has on warrior Alliance pvp armor, the eredar also looks to have a paladin book around his shoulder.

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-09-2006 07:54:38 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Makes players go "What an unbelievably idiotic plot idea!"

It really isn't any worse than the Blood Elf plot. Or the Forsaken plot. Or why the hell the Night Elves joined up with the Alliance plot.

Besides, it does make some sense that Archimonde may have corrupted Night Elves or another race of the Alliance and transformed them into his visage. The Eredar are known to do just that, lore-wise.

And I quote:

quote:
From WoWWiki:
The Eredar, an insidious race of devilish sorcerers, used their warlock magics to invade and enslave a number of worlds. The indigenous races of those worlds were mutated by the Eredar's malevolent powers and turned into demons themselves.
Willias
Pancake
posted 05-09-2006 08:44:27 PM
Another possibility is that they're actually human. The remnants of the expedition that Khadgar led into the Outlands during the end of Warcraft 2.

Though this theory doesn't support the fact that the one of the above screenshots appear to be in Hyjal and at a Night Elf building.

Willias fucked around with this message on 05-09-2006 at 08:46 PM.

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 12:44:07 AM
Maradon!
posted 05-10-2006 12:49:47 AM
Illidan has ALWAYS been evil looking wtf you talking about
Willias
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 12:54:09 AM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Illidan has ALWAYS been evil looking wtf you talking about

I meant more evil looking. Like, more evil looking than he was in War3.

Blackened
posted 05-10-2006 12:58:58 AM
quote:
Willias.
I meant more evil looking. Like, more evil looking than he was in War3.
Maybe that's because he's been absorbing latent demonic energies and has gone fucking insane

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Willias
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 12:59:27 AM
hay, could be
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-10-2006 05:25:03 AM
I have never even heard of the Eredar before...
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Willias
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 11:13:10 AM
Attention all: There is Battle Chess in Karazhan. That is all.

Edit:Very high quality video here.

Willias fucked around with this message on 05-10-2006 at 11:21 AM.

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 11:38:27 AM
quote:
From the NYTimes:
LOS ANGELES, May 10 — When the makers of World of Warcraft, the phenomenally successful online game, announced last year that they would release a major expansion of its virtual world in late 2006, the game’s millions of players began anxiously awaiting details.

Today, as the video game industry gathers here for E3, the top annual game convention, those players will start getting answers. In the biggest piece of news, Blizzard Entertainment, the company behind the game, plans to announce that in the expansion, to be called The Burning Crusade, players will be able to join an otherworldly species called the Draenei.

Much of the storyline in World of Warcraft, which now has more than 6 million paying subscribers worldwide, revolves around the strife between two competing factions, the Alliance and the Horde. Players can join either side of the fantasy conflict; the Alliance includes races like human, dwarves and gnomes, while the Horde includes orcs, trolls and the undead.

Blizzard announced last year that in the expansion it would add a new race called the Blood Elves to the Horde, but the identity of the new Alliance race has been a closely-guarded secret until today. On Web message boards, players have spilled hundreds of thousands of words debating what the new Alliance race would be.

In the Burning Crusade, much of the action will take place on a planet called Draenor. The Draenei are the remnants of a once-thriving culture there that was mostly destroyed by orcs after the orcs were corrupted by the demons of the Burning Legion — the big bad guys in the game, who oppose both the Alliance and the Horde.

In a twist, the Draenei are descended from the same demonic race, the Eredar, that produced some of Warcraft’s most fearsome foes, like the demon Archimonde.

“Lots of players have wanted to play demons, and Draenei are the closest you can get to looking like an Eredar,” Jeff Kaplan, one of the game’s top designers, said in an interview. “They have these cool forehead features, and one of the customization features is switching around these facial features and the tendrils hanging beneath the chin and so on.”

In addition to being able to test-play the Draenei, attendees at the convention this week, formally known as the Electronic Entertainment Expo, will get their first peek at the Nether Drakes, which are among several flying beasts that players will be able to mount in Burning Crusade.

Attendees will also be able to try out Naxxramas, the next big dungeon in the game, which is expected to be added free next month.

Seems like this could be the real deal.

Tier
posted 05-10-2006 11:42:53 AM
No, of course it can't be real, after all, it certainly wasn't shown at E3, at the fucking Blizzard booth.

Jesus, what the fuck are you people still being skeptical for.

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 12:01:23 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Asha'man said this:
No, of course it can't be real, after all, it certainly wasn't shown at E3, at the fucking Blizzard booth.

Jesus, what the fuck are you people still being skeptical for.

For me, the constant speculation of not only players, but websites for over 6 months.

That and Draenei being the descendants of Eredar makes even less sense than the made up Wisp story. Not going to argue with Jeff Kaplan though.

Tier
posted 05-10-2006 12:02:18 PM
quote:
Willias attempted to be funny by writing:
For me, the constant speculation of not only players, but websites for over 6 months.

That may be, but did any of them ever have trailers released by Blizzard at E3?

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 12:08:22 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken, but the trailer doesn't specificly state what the new races are.

Until Blizzard, which they have now, had specificly stated what the new race was, all anyone could do is look at the new model and speculate.

Also, it's going to be very wierd seeing one of those things as a paladin.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 05-10-2006 05:10:37 PM
quote:
Willias was naked while typing this:
Maybe I'm mistaken, but the trailer doesn't specificly state what the new races are.

Until Blizzard, which they have now, had specificly stated what the new race was, all anyone could do is look at the new model and speculate.

Ok.

Sounds like they're going to have some form of Holy affinity Racial.

Also Tier 3 stuff.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-10-2006 05:14:52 PM
What the christ

Am I to understand that not only are the Eredar originally good, not only did they somehow meet a bunch of people who followed the light, but they also piloted a transdimensional ship?

Fuck that.

Edit: Alliance gets another pretty race. Horde will still be supreme even after the Blood Elves arrive.

Mr. Parcelan fucked around with this message on 05-10-2006 at 05:16 PM.

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 06:56:47 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Ferret!
Ok.

Sounds like they're going to have some form of Holy affinity Racial.

Also Tier 3 stuff.

Yeah, saw that when I came home after I had my hair cut. Draenai racials are something like:

+15 to Jewelcrafting
+1% chance to hit with magic for your group. (It's an aura. I guess it might scale with level.)
At level 1, a 50 point heal over time (15 seconds), with a 1.5 sec cast time, a 40 yard range and a 3 minute cooldown. This ability scales with level.
And +10 shadow resist.

And it's not just a pretty race Parce, it's also a bad ass looking race.

Willias fucked around with this message on 05-10-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 07:00:40 PM
Oh, and while I may have fallen for the Eredar bit for a day, I totally half-way called this a few months ago. Pow.
Willias
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 07:10:42 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mr. Parcelan wrote:
What the christ

Am I to understand that not only are the Eredar originally good, not only did they somehow meet a bunch of people who followed the light, but they also piloted a transdimensional ship?

Fuck that.

quote:
From Chapter 1 of the WoW lore:
The eredar, an insidious race of devilish sorcerers, used their warlock magics to invade and enslave a number of worlds. The indigenous races of those worlds were mutated by the eredar's malevolent powers and turned into demons themselves. Though Sargeras' nearly limitless powers were more than enough to defeat the vile eredar, he was greatly troubled by the creatures' corruption and all-consuming evil. Incapable of fathoming such depravity, the great Titan began to slip into a brooding depression. Despite his growing unease, Sargeras rid the universe of the warlocks by trapping them within a corner of the Twisting Nether.

quote:
From the Draenai lore page:
Nearly twenty-five thousand years ago, the eredar race arose on the world of Argus. They were extremely intelligent and had a natural affinity for magic in all its myriad forms. Using their gifts, they developed a vast and wondrous society.

Unfortunately the eredar's accomplishments caught the attention of Sargeras, the Destroyer of Worlds. He had already begun his Burning Crusade to eradicate all life from the cosmos, and he believed that the brilliant eredar would be pivotal in leading the vast demonic army he was gathering. Thus, he contacted the eredar's three most prominent leaders: Kil'jaeden, Archimonde, and Velen. In exchange for the loyalty of the eredar race, Sargeras offered untold power and knowledge.

Although the offer sounded very tempting, Velen had a vision of the future that filled him with sick dread. Sargeras had spoken the truth: the eredar who joined the Dark Titan would indeed gain enormous power and knowledge. However, the eredar would themselves be transformed into demons.

Guess it's time for Blizzard to start rewriting the lore, eh?

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-10-2006 07:24:32 PM
quote:
Willias enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

Wasn't there a comment in one of the above-linked interviews about how they can't "just tank a race"? It was in response to a remark about giving the Alliance an ugly race. Funny how that works, eh?

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 07:27:35 PM
quote:
Melpominee had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Wasn't there a comment in one of the above-linked interviews about how they can't "just tank a race"? It was in response to a remark about giving the Alliance an ugly race. Funny how that works, eh?

I don't seem to recall Blizzard ever saying that they were going to give the Alliance an ugly race. Even though just about every player accepted that as fact since the Blood Elves were announced as the Horde race last year.

Willias fucked around with this message on 05-10-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-10-2006 07:41:54 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Willias:
I don't seem to recall Blizzard ever saying that they were going to give the Alliance an ugly race. Even though just about every player accepted that as fact since the Blood Elves were announced as the Horde race last year.

'Twas a thing the interviewer mentioned, not a Blizzard stated fact. I was more referring to the fact that, in terms of WoW-history, neither draenei nor eredar are particularly nice to look at. They didn't tank a pretty race, they prettied an ugly one.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-10-2006 07:43:27 PM
quote:
Willias Model 2000 was programmed to say:

Well, it works for Games Workshop.

Maradon!
posted 05-10-2006 08:46:46 PM
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 05-10-2006 08:50:03 PM
Man, the Draenai would have been much cooler. Nevetheless I guess I'll still buy the expansion, sigh.
Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 05-10-2006 09:23:19 PM
It is the dranei, the eredar and the dranei are like the blood elves and night elves, just 2 different forms of evolution of the eredar.
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-10-2006 09:40:44 PM
quote:
Anakha enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
It is the dranei, the eredar and the dranei are like the blood elves and night elves, just 2 different forms of evolution of the eredar.

Pray tell, how can the eredar be an evolutionary offshoot of the eredar?

Edit: I could be mistaken, but aren't blood elves the remnants of the Highborne? As I recall, those weren't the same as the rest of the night elves somehow.

Melpominee fucked around with this message on 05-10-2006 at 09:43 PM.

Maradon!
posted 05-10-2006 09:45:07 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Melpominee booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Edit: I could be mistaken, but aren't blood elves the remnants of the Highborne? As I recall, those weren't the same as the rest of the night elves somehow.

They had the same origins. The night elves swore off magic forever, the highborne were nightelves that did not want to swear off magic.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-10-2006 09:51:32 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Captain Planet:
They had the same origins. The night elves swore off magic forever, the highborne were nightelves that did not want to swear off magic.

Must be another of Blizzard's contradictions in lore. The Highborne were distinguishable as separate prior to the first invasion of the Burning Legion...they brought the Burning Legion as Azshara's behest. At the time, night elves, Illidan at least, still used magic quite extensively. This is all according to Well of Eternity, which is supposedly in line with Warcraft lore.

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 05-10-2006 10:09:49 PM
Actually, according to the War of the Ancients Trilogy, the highbourne were just like regular nightelves, except that they had Azshara's favor, and were slightly better sorcerers. There was not much that made them different except that they were of a higher caste. Most of the Night elves of the time could not harness magic except through the Well of Eternity.

The few highbourne who did fled Zin-Ashari right before Sargeras decided to jump through the Well of Eternity barely survived during the collapse of the land. But according to WoW Lore, Magic is like crack, and the highbourne eventually decided that they had to have it, and the rest of the nightelves swore off regular magic, so the highbourne sailed across the Great divide, created the Sun Well, and started doing things during the day, which eventually made their skin become pale. They also renamed themselves the High Elves. When Arthas rampaged through Quel'Thalas and destroyed the Sun Well, the high elves went once again into magic withdrawal. They got help from the Naga and were cast out of the alliance, but Illidan found them and showed them how to harness the power of demonic magic.

"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: