EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Do we have any professional artists right now?
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-09-2006 12:25:35 AM
I know Fae used to, but not sure if he is still actively working in the field.

I was wondering, how does one get their name out there, in the ambiguous yet all encompassing world?

Right now, I have a job going on for a reservist I work with. He's designing a calander and I'll be illustrating it for him, and then it is to be sold at places like Staples and what have you. I know I'll be doing the cover of it, and about 10 more small drawings for the inside, and then a full canvas painting for him to make prints of for wall posters. I'll be getting paid for this one.

I volunteered to paint a mural in our new spaces when my squadron moves to another base. This is strictly voluntary.

I know the easiest way to be recognized is to get your work out in the public's eye, and I'm not really hurting for cash, so I can afford to do low-cost to free jobs. My question is, how do I approach people in regards to art? Are there any faux pas that I should avoid, like encroaching on someone else's territory? And I would appreciate any other sorts of advice people could provide. My eventual goal is to illustrate cover art for books or games, and game art like storyboards and character design are not out of the question. So... yeah.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-09-2006 01:05:19 AM
I am a professional artist.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-09-2006 01:08:38 AM
The best possible advice is this: sell out, at the earliest possible moment. Look for work in marketing and business-related graphic design. Study what's out there, and what works. And, finally, realize that artists are a dime a dozen--being a professional artist as about as easy as being a professional writer. You'll need to be brutally honest with yourself as to your ability and potential to make it.

Good luck.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-09-2006 01:09:43 AM
I'm a pretty good writer, too. I wrote Bloodsage's memoirs.
Sean
posted 05-09-2006 01:37:04 AM
I'm a photographer.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

nem-x
posted 05-09-2006 01:54:00 AM
I'm a professional Parcelan.
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 05-09-2006 02:33:12 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
The best possible advice is this: sell out, at the earliest possible moment. Look for work in marketing and business-related graphic design. Study what's out there, and what works. And, finally, realize that artists are a dime a dozen--being a professional artist as about as easy as being a professional writer. You'll need to be brutally honest with yourself as to your ability and potential to make it.

Good luck.

^^^

And...

quote:

My question is, how do I approach people in regards to art? Are there any faux pas that I should avoid, like encroaching on someone else's territory?

If I'm reading this correctly, are you talking about marketing yourself? Because, brutally, if it doesn't speak for itself you aren't going anywhere.

In the freelance or illustration department, as Bloodsage said, you are a dime a dozen. Who you know and the contacts you make are the only things you have to go on. Your art on its own will self market, if it can't you won't be able to keep up. Most of your contacts will, ironically, not be art related. Too many contacts in the art arena, and you will all be piecing it together for the same thing.

Being noticed is step one, this is easy, and means lots of freebies and saying "Hey I can do that for you" when someone asks for something artistic. If it holds up, word of mouth will spread. Make friends, and lots of them, in various fields and professions. You'd be surprised how many fields illustrative work actually covers, and every stepping stone is a start.

Even the best artists can be overlooked because there are just too many. If you aren't comfortable with yourself, your abilities, and what is actually out there it will just become a frustration.

A good starting point, and since you mentioned story boards. Look to your local podunkville newspapers, offer to do a comic strip. Even one frame punchliners will work. It gets you practice, you get noticed, and you make a contact in the media. Also check for local playhouses, offer to do free promotionals. School medias, pamphlets, and promotionals also work well. Make contacts along the way there as well. If you really want to take this seriously, then look for cities, states, and areas that are themed and artistic by nature. Look for work there (Normal 9 to 5er) and seek out prospects while living a day to day life and do it in your spare time until the cushion is there.

New York
Dallas/Houston
San Diego
Seattle
St Louis (Yes, Missouri... Trust me.)
Atlanta
and especially, Orlando. <--- This is a serious hotspot, but because of this... yeah, starving artist capital, so don't hold your breath.

Unless you make a name for yourself elsewhere, and get an industry face. Places like LA, etc are a total waste of time.

And lastly.. DIVERSIFY!... If you can't it will be over before you even start.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 05-09-2006 at 02:34 AM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Chugga
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 01:07:39 AM
Hey im curious Fae, I've seen your talents with all things artistic (Your minis, drawnings and colouring jobs.) I'm just curious are you employed somewhere where those talents are being put to use? Or is it just kinda a backburner thing.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 05-10-2006 09:25:35 AM
quote:
Doomie impressed everyone with:
Hey im curious Fae, I've seen your talents with all things artistic (Your minis, drawnings and colouring jobs.) I'm just curious are you employed somewhere where those talents are being put to use? Or is it just kinda a backburner thing.

Used to be... Not anymore.

Traded it most away for family, and then other shit happened.

As was said before, it's a sell out deal, and a being in the loop deal. I no longer fill those requirements. So I'm back to the Dime a Dozen deal.

Plus like I stressed to Az, Diversity is king, and I am incredibly out of practice now.

Last thing I did artistic was a WMP10 Skin... thats been at least a year. (And it didn't pay. Although I did get an email just a couple days ago from someone who picked it up telling me how much they loved it and to do more... So long after it was released which was nice.)

Edit: Also it doesn't help that I can't afford to pay models to sit for me anymore. My wife bought me a subscription to Playboy for a year to use so I could at least stay in practice... But my god, so useless, where are all the fucking pictures now? It's all articles! And the women they do use scare me.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 05-10-2006 at 09:27 AM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-10-2006 09:41:33 AM
Why not get friends to sit as models?

Thats what I do.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 05-10-2006 09:54:25 AM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Why not get friends to sit as models?

Thats what I do.

Uhhh... I don't think that's such a good idea. XD

My friends are great, but they are all couples. And no matter how professional you are, and claim to be, even if they know it to be true. It never really goes over too well. Or even if it does, it never feels entirely comfortable.

Plus, two little kids and no studio type are to secure.

Edit: Plus there is the fact some of these people you just dont wanna see naked, or in any semblance of undress. XD And I don't really need study practice so if I did anything it'd be for a real deal, which means the whole glory.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 05-10-2006 at 09:58 AM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 05-10-2006 01:11:43 PM
I try, to say the least. I never put the title "professional" on my work, but from time to time I tend to give a hand in concept-art and sketches. Mostly of ideas I like or ideas where I can bring my own imagination to the field. I suppose the reason I never took a profession of artwork (or concept artist) is I sometimes have a harder time creating work thats told to me. Example being if someone said I want a male, age 25, knight's armor. Then I usually can't do it, I like being told "Just a character of a apocalyptic war". Then it's my own judgement of what I wish to create:

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-10-2006 01:31:39 PM
His left elbow looks like it bends the wrong direction!
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-10-2006 01:58:29 PM
Did you know that I'm a professional writer?

It's true!

I profess that I'm a writer.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: