EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Let's talk about jazz
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-08-2006 11:36:17 AM
I've been looking for some good, maybe quiet-esque music. Music to sip wine to. Jazz seems like the best bet for that, I'm thinking.

Based on a thread I looked at awhile, I checked out Diana Krull (Krall?). She's pretty good. I can dig it, but she's maybe...a little boring at times.

So, whose got good taste in music? What sort of jazz artists should I be checking out?

Maradon!
posted 05-08-2006 09:25:04 PM
John Mayer isn't jazz, but jazz influenced rock, and is very relaxing without being boring. Plus, he has several songs that are easy to play and are flat out awesome for serenading a girl. I suggest starting with "Room for Squares" which I feel is the better of his two albums.

Joe Satriani is pretty awesome. Nice and smooth with some decent guitar talent to keep it from being to elevatorey.

Portishead isn't really jazz, but is in that mellow vein with a nice gritty and gloomy feel for when the sun is shining just a bit too bright and your life is going just a bit too well for your liking.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-08-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 05-08-2006 09:41:12 PM
Django Reinhardt is an undeniable, inescapable staple.
Stiddy
Pancake
posted 05-08-2006 10:36:42 PM
quote:
Verily, Vorbis doth proclaim:
Django Reinhardt is an undeniable, inescapable staple.

And very suitable for wine sipping, I might add.

LeMiere
posted 05-09-2006 11:03:35 PM
Tom Waits is a little more bluesy. But good.
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 05-10-2006 12:26:46 PM
Tom Waits is not music to sip wine to, really.

Dexter Gordon is gonna be a good shot for you. It's actual jazz and his usual stuff is very relaxing.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-10-2006 12:42:57 PM
Wow, I feel like I stepped into the Faggot Convention or something. Jazz. Wine sipping. Jesus. You all sound like a bunch of San Fransisco fartsniffers.

And I couldn't be more turned on.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 05-10-2006 01:08:48 PM
Try some of the classics, Ben Webster, Oscar Peterson, and Chet Baker.
Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 05-10-2006 01:46:46 PM
Miles Davis's early stuff, i.e. pre- Bitches Brew.
Most of Coltrane's stuff.
Monk's Straight, No Chaser.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
LeMiere
posted 05-10-2006 03:00:30 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Ozimander wrote:
Tom Waits is not music to sip wine to, really.

Dexter Gordon is gonna be a good shot for you. It's actual jazz and his usual stuff is very relaxing.

Well- no. Bourban, brandy- yes.

I've already suggested Nina Simone to him. He was down with that. Unfortunately I'm stuck in a 'folk bands with banjos!' phase right now.

Stiddy
Pancake
posted 05-11-2006 01:01:01 AM
For Miles Davis, Sketches of Spain is pretty sophisticated sounding...though it's not really "jazzy", I guess.

"Saxophone Colossus", by Sonny Rollins might be the sort of thing you'd like. Very warm, very bluesy, yet also very wine-sippingly good.

There's always Vince Guaraldi, the guy who did the music for the Charlie Brown specials. Any of his soundtracks for that franchise are excellent.

And though it's more of a longshot, Jamie Saft's recent "Astaroth" is very good. It's the pianist's renditions of some of John Zorn's Masada compositions, so it has a very Jewish-music feel to it, but it's still very much Jazz.

As for Tom Waits, the sheer force of his voice prevents any sort of elegance from occuring. Regardless, his music is pretty consistently great, and you'll probably learn to love "the voice": very cathartic, very soulful, very raspy.

Stiddy fucked around with this message on 05-11-2006 at 01:21 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: