EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Tarquinn! You're late!
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-06-2006 04:45:40 AM
World War III started!

WHERE ARE THE GERMANS?!

I'm not quite the rabid supporter of Bush I once was, but neither am I a raging liberal quite yet. That said, this is just getting kind of silly.

I'm conflicted on the war. On the one hand, leaving the Moslems in the stone age as they are is not good for any part of the world. On the other hand, war doesn't seem to be making such a dent. Extreme fanatics rarely understand anything besides force, though...so...uh...

German joke.

Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 05-06-2006 04:49:30 AM
<German Guest> Please don't mention the war...
<Basil Fawltey (John Cleese)> Why not? You started it!
<German Guest> We did not..
<Basil Faawltey> Yes you did! You invaded Poland!

I add nothing except the German joke Parcelan alluded to...

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-06-2006 05:22:04 AM
Meh, it all depends upon how one defines a "world war." There is obviously a global terrorist network deliberately battling the West, so the geographic parameters shouldn't be in doubt. The question then becomes whether a certain level of intensity much apply also. Since the term "world war" has so much emotional baggage, I'd suggest yes, and that we haven't reached the level where it's useful to start throwing terms like that around.

On the other hand, it's easy to understand how and why reasonable people would apply the term.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Talonus
Loner
posted 05-06-2006 08:05:05 AM
There still hasn't been a formal declaration of war by Congress yet, so technically we're not even at war.

If we're going to call this WW3, the Napoleonic Wars and the Cold War could easily be considered world wars, and you could make a case for others. The Napoleonic Wars were closer to the world wars in scale and folks have been arguing that the Cold War was WW3 for a long time. Quite frankly, if you consider this a world war, you almost have to consider the Cold War a world war.

I can see how you could consider it a world war. I can see why Bush would wish to do so. I can not see how this is even a remotely good idea considering all the baggage attached to the term, the unpopularity of this war both inside and outside of the US, etc.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: