EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I need a new mouse
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 05-03-2006 09:48:47 PM
Now that I am returning to gainful employment, I shall have some money to drop on non-essential things, like a new mouse. Currently I have an MX-1000, from Logitech. Great mouse, works pretty well, except for the tiny bit about it fliping the fuck out and going as far fucking left as the screen res is. When playing something like Counter Strike, this causes me to pull a 360. Not very happy.

After having consulted Logitech's site, for possible fixes or warrenty issues, they've basically said, "Your monitor is too close to your base, tough shit. And the way my desk is set up, there is no way to get my mouse and it's base each to be 2 feet away from any other electronic device. It does this no matter what surface it's on as well.

So I want to get a corded mouse, in the long way of saying things. Advise me oh great ECers, as to some good options.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Sean
posted 05-03-2006 09:50:35 PM
My MX-1000 base is actually under my monitor and it gives me no problems.

Something else is fucked up on your end senor.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

BetaTested
posted 05-03-2006 10:04:42 PM
quote:
Sean got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
My MX-1000 base is actually under my monitor and it gives me no problems.

Something else is fucked up on your end senor.

So how do I go about getting an RMA from Logitech then? I've still got a year+ on the "warrenty" they offer. Can't find it on their website.

edit: Found it.

BetaTested fucked around with this message on 05-03-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Sean
posted 05-03-2006 10:05:44 PM
Fuck if I know, mang. It's your problem, not mine.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-04-2006 10:01:51 AM
just put some tin foil between the monitor and the base. It worked on star trek.
Demos
Pancake
posted 05-04-2006 04:23:53 PM
Are you using a mousepad? Sometimes a shitty tracking surface can make the cursor jump too. If you've already dropped the cash on the MX-1000 its worth the extra few bucks for a decent mousepad, and you can get good ones in all sorts of slicknesses.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
BetaTested
posted 05-06-2006 10:19:45 PM
quote:
Demos had this to say about Robocop:
Are you using a mousepad? Sometimes a shitty tracking surface can make the cursor jump too. If you've already dropped the cash on the MX-1000 its worth the extra few bucks for a decent mousepad, and you can get good ones in all sorts of slicknesses.

Mouse pad usage doesn't make a difference. I need to RMA the fucker to Logitech at some point. I just don't have the time atm. Finals + 40 hours a week at new job =

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-06-2006 10:48:44 PM
If you're dead set on getting a new mouse, grab a Logitech G5. It's a laser mouse like the MX1000 but corded. Comes with a neat little pack of weights so you change the heft of the mouse too. I got one because I keep forgetting to charge the MX1000.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Maradon!
posted 05-07-2006 02:32:43 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Melpominee booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Comes with a neat little pack of weights so you change the heft of the mouse too.

I don't care what "pro gamers" try to claim otherwise, that's a fuckin gimmick. The balance of a mouse means absolutely nothing.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-07-2006 03:58:47 AM
quote:
Maradon! painfully thought these words up:
I don't care what "pro gamers" try to claim otherwise, that's a fuckin gimmick. The balance of a mouse means absolutely nothing.

I concur, I just like the fact that it makes my corded mouse about has heavy as the MX1000. I like heavy mice.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-07-2006 09:50:32 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Pirotess:

Depends on how you move the mouse.

Two ways to go with FPS shooters: Very low sensitivity to mouse movement.. means lots of mouse movement (get a bigger mousepad) but can make you incredibly accurate. If you're jumpy, this helps you out even more, as a sudden gunshot or alien popping out of nowhere won't send you spinning 1000 degrees.
Or you can go with moderate to high sensitivity and move the mouse tiny increments.. Accuracy suffers a tiny amount, but in games where quick turning is needed and/or large areas need to be "covered" or objects move incredibly quick, it's invaluable.

A lighter mouse favours the former situation, while a heavy mouse favours the latter.

Chugga
Pancake
posted 05-07-2006 10:15:41 AM
I got a Logitech G7 and I'm very happy with it, on the fly DPI changes and hot swapping batteries. If you forget to put the extra battery in the charger while you're using one you should just stay away from cordless

Only complaint is the battery life is short, lasts usually 2-3 days of regular use. Though with 2 of them included I'm not all too concerned.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-07-2006 10:56:55 AM
To me, weight of the mouse is somewhat of a big deal, but for a comfort factor.

I like it when my mouse is heavier -- I tend to move lighter mice too fast

That's another reason I'm a big cordless fan. Batteries = heavier mouse.

BetaTested
posted 05-07-2006 11:10:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the G5. I still need a good mouse for my laptop anyway. Like I said, I'll try to get around to RMAing this MX1000, but my spare time is incredibly limited. My schedule has become : Work, sleep, work, sleep, study, work, sleep, study, final, final, sleep, study study, final, sleep, work, sleep. Terrifically fun.

Maradon!
posted 05-07-2006 11:54:41 AM
quote:
x--Delphi AegisO-('-'Q) :
Two ways to go with FPS shooters: Very low sensitivity to mouse movement.. means lots of mouse movement (get a bigger mousepad) but can make you incredibly accurate. If you're jumpy, this helps you out even more, as a sudden gunshot or alien popping out of nowhere won't send you spinning 1000 degrees.
Or you can go with moderate to high sensitivity and move the mouse tiny increments.. Accuracy suffers a tiny amount, but in games where quick turning is needed and/or large areas need to be "covered" or objects move incredibly quick, it's invaluable.

This was true until they invented mouse acceleration.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: