EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Partition Help
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 04-26-2006 01:58:52 PM
I've been trying to find a good site to give me instructions with partitioning my hard drive. My roomates recently used my computer to do some surfing and contracted a virus in the mean time and I need to save my school work and drafting in the mean time.

Any good sites for useful assistance?

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 04-26-2006 02:44:46 PM
Repartitioning can be done with the Windows XP install. If you want something more advanced, look into Partition Magic, parted, fdisk, etc.
Alaan
posted 04-26-2006 03:43:24 PM
Though I don't think any partitioning will help in this case. Breaking an active partition is bad business AFAIK. Random data files are likely fine, so just burn them off, flatten and reinstall.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-26-2006 07:37:42 PM
Like Alaan said, trying to repartition a drive with the data intact is risky at best, and disasterous at worst. You're better off backing up your files onto CDR or DVDR. If you can't get your burner to work, blow $50-60 on a 1GB USB thumb drive, or $80-100 on an external hard drive. The utilities for the process your planning are notoriously unreliable, can permanently fry the drive if anything goes wrong, and would likely cost $25-50 anyway. You're better off buying something that will continue to be useful once the reformat is over.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 04-26-2006 09:15:42 PM
Allrighty, thanks for the advice. I'm getting a new DVD Burner so I'll back mystuff up on there.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-26-2006 09:18:43 PM
A trick that I've taken to is having a physical drive, not just a partition, that is registry independant and contains no executables. This way when you format your windows partition you are able to keep all your documents and media intact.
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 04-26-2006 10:28:05 PM
quote:
Naimah wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
A trick that I've taken to is having a physical drive, not just a partition, that is registry independant and contains no executables. This way when you format your windows partition you are able to keep all your documents and media intact.

This man is a genius. I do the same thing, I have two backup drives with all my media because I'm a paranoid moron. Its generally a good idea to have independent drives with all your stuff though.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-26-2006 11:12:20 PM
quote:
Alek's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
This man is a genius. I do the same thing, I have two backup drives with all my media because I'm a paranoid moron. Its generally a good idea to have independent drives with all your stuff though.

I think you are the first person on these forums to say that about me. Congratulations!

Alaan
posted 04-27-2006 01:15:26 AM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I think you are the first person on these forums to say that about me. Congratulations!

I won't say your brilliant, but that is my strategy as well. C: is strictly programs and windows, D: is all my data files.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 04-27-2006 08:29:32 PM
How often should you defrag your hard drive? Google is not my friend on this question...
Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-27-2006 09:00:56 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Lechium said:
How often should you defrag your hard drive? Google is not my friend on this question...

Depends on how often you have large amounts of stuff going in and out of it. If that's fairly rare, maybe once every couple weeks or once a month. If you've always got stuff going in and out, weekly.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Alaan
posted 04-27-2006 09:41:28 PM
I've heard that NTFS really doesn't need much in the way of defragging.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 04-27-2006 09:51:18 PM
quote:
Alaan posted

It's better than FAT32 but still very recommended to do every couple months.

Maradon!
posted 04-29-2006 01:26:10 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Alaan who doth quote:

Yeah, you pretty much heard wrong.

NTFS can go longer without it and suffers less from it, but you should still defrag.

I do all my drives once a month or so. I shift around a lot of huge files pretty frequently, but apart from that why not do it?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-29-2006 at 01:26 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: