EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So it's been a month or two...
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-23-2006 04:59:10 AM
Is DDO still holding on or has it gone down the tubes?

I ask because a friend of mine just came back on WoW a week ago after swearing that DDO was the only MMO for her anymore. I haven't heard much else about it, but it does look graphically pleasing.

What do you fatties say?

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 04-23-2006 05:00:25 AM
I haven't heard jack shit about DDO since it launched.

That is not a good sign for the game.

Talonus
Loner
posted 04-23-2006 07:42:45 AM
You can download a 7 day trial now. Having a free trial this quickly doesn't bode well for the game.
Peter
Pancake
posted 04-23-2006 08:25:07 AM
I’ve been playing Oblivion the last week but, The lack of content and lack of genuine solo play is a major problem. The last ten time I have been on I find myself in groups running the same danm quests, and about two thirds of the groups I have been getting are rush groups. Shit I have been in groups at level 5 that were looking to grind Waterworks over and over And even the harbor quests I have tried to solo, I have found that I either get overwhelmed on some of the bigger ones, or the lack of other classes shortens the quests too much to be fun.

They did add some new content in recently, but I haven’t really had the chance to check it out yet.

Turbine wastes no time closed broken quests and fixing exploits, which I find to be a good quality. They could just as easily close them permanently or ignore the exploits. Give them time I think they can get a solid game.

Peter fucked around with this message on 04-23-2006 at 08:34 AM.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 04-23-2006 10:47:04 AM
g4 said that basically it was a fun game to play if you had a constant group of every class, every time you wanted to play. If you didn't, it sucked.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Willias
Pancake
posted 04-23-2006 10:58:53 AM
quote:
Manticore's fortune cookie read:
g4 said that basically it was a fun game to play if you had a constant group of every class, every time you wanted to play. If you didn't, it sucked.

That's BS. All you need is a rogue, a couple of fighters, and a couple of clerics.

Every other class is pretty useless.

Maradon!
posted 04-23-2006 11:07:22 AM
quote:
Williasing:
Every other class is pretty useless.

That's not a good sign for a game.

Willias
Pancake
posted 04-23-2006 11:09:24 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
That's not a good sign for a game.

Pretty much.

And actually, you really don't even need a rogue half the time.

Though Mages CAN be useful when you're fighting stuff that can only be hit with magic.

Unless your fighters have magic weapons powerful enough to hit said creatures, then they go back to being rather useless again.

Willias fucked around with this message on 04-23-2006 at 11:10 AM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 04-23-2006 01:13:51 PM
quote:
Willias stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Pretty much.

And actually, you really don't even need a rogue half the time.

Though Mages CAN be useful when you're fighting stuff that can only be hit with magic.

Unless your fighters have magic weapons powerful enough to hit said creatures, then they go back to being rather useless again.

By the time you hit like level 3, Magic and elemental weapons are easy to get in the marketplace or a pawn shop.

I prefer to have a rouge and wizard in my group over extra fighters or clerics, if only to not have any quest areas cut off. Bards are nice Swiss army knifes. Rangers are tits on a bull as far as I am concerned.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 04-23-2006 06:26:37 PM
I totally downloaded the trial and am going to play it.

But the closest I've ever come to playing D&D was Neverwinter Nights. >:[

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-24-2006 10:23:01 AM
But it's pretty! Remember? That's what matters!
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Maradon!
posted 04-24-2006 11:30:56 AM
quote:
x--Ja'Deth Issar Ka'baelO-('-'Q) :
But it's pretty! Remember? That's what matters!

These days everybody and their mom has eye-popping graphics. It's seriously old hat. It's like the old adage, awesome graphics and a dime will get you a cup of coffee.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-24-2006 03:20:35 PM
It's no more wrong than an interesting game with fugly visuals.

These days, there's absolutely no reason to settle for less than a good game that looks good, too.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 04-24-2006 04:17:52 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about the Spice Girls:
These days, there's absolutely no reason to settle for less than a good game that looks good, too.

My 933MHZ processor and video card so old that I don't even remember what the hell it is says otherwise!

My birthday is coming up, buy me a new computer.

Maradon!
posted 04-25-2006 12:35:03 AM
quote:
Bloodsageing:
It's no more wrong than an interesting game with fugly visuals.

While that's true, good graphics today are more the status quo rather than a selling point.

Peter
Pancake
posted 04-25-2006 06:13:10 AM

+1 Adamadtiam Half Plate

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-25-2006 06:34:15 AM
Ah, the plight of Hootae McBootae.
Peter
Pancake
posted 04-25-2006 07:50:09 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Ah, the plight of Hootae McBootae.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-25-2006 10:06:23 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Maradon! wrote:
These days everybody and their mom has eye-popping graphics. It's seriously old hat. It's like the old adage, awesome graphics and a dime will get you a cup of coffee.

That's kinda my point. Everyone was going on about the GLARING LAUNCH PROBLEMS the game had from beta onward...gross class imbalance (not unusual for a game, but there's more), inability to do anything alone past like level 3 (even EQ1 didn't have THAT problem), etc etc ad nauseum. But it's pretty! That was the defense. It's Pretty!

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Sean
posted 04-25-2006 02:20:01 PM
It's not that pretty.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Willias
Pancake
posted 04-25-2006 02:32:52 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Knight Rider:
That's kinda my point. Everyone was going on about the GLARING LAUNCH PROBLEMS the game had from beta onward...gross class imbalance (not unusual for a game, but there's more), inability to do anything alone past like level 3 (even EQ1 didn't have THAT problem), etc etc ad nauseum. But it's pretty! That was the defense. It's Pretty!

Huh? There are some classes that can't really solo past the first 2 quests.

Even then, I don't think any class can solo much past level 2.

Willias fucked around with this message on 04-25-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 04-26-2006 05:17:52 AM
quote:
How.... Mr. Parcelan.... uughhhhhh:
Is DDO still holding on or has it gone down the tubes?

Given that I've installed, patched, uninstalled due to bugged patcher, reinstalled, repatched, re-unistalled due to a bugged patcher, rinse and repeat 5 times, (and *STILL* can't get the fuckin' game to run....) I'm voting "Crap"... err.. for the tubes.

Plus, as an old-school PnP DnD'er I have to ask... WTF SPELLPOINTS????

On another topic, Auto Assault has started to drag me away from WoW..

Cavalier- fucked around with this message on 04-26-2006 at 05:21 AM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 04-26-2006 06:22:41 AM
quote:
Cavalier- stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Plus, as an old-school PnP DnD'er I have to ask... WTF SPELLPOINTS????

It makes sense for the game. How usefull would a mage be if he could only cast like 4 burning hands in a quest? And often you will only find like 1 or 2 rest shrines in a quest, unless it is one of those big open ones. spell and hitpoints do not regenerate over time at all, only way to get them back is at a rest shrine, tavern, or by a spell.

Wizards still have to sit at rest shrine or tavern to memorize the spells you want to use.

Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 04-26-2006 06:40:51 AM
quote:
Peter's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
It makes sense for the game. How usefull would a mage be if he could only cast like 4 burning hands in a quest?

About as useful as a Level 1 Wizard was in any PnP DnD adventure... or in NWN.

They wanted to make this "true" to the 3.5Ed rules (and therefore 'classic" DnD), and there are no spellpoints in either version.

In fact, Gary Gygax when designing DnD specifically ruled out spellpoint type systems because he doidnt want mages/wizards to be "fireball-spewing gatling guns"... hence the spell limitations for each level.

[Edit:] The difference is, of course, that in NWN (or a PnP campaign) a party could rest anywhere at any time (subject to random encounter rolls) and allow mages to regain their spells. Whereas DDO only allows you to rest for short perios at "shrines", or only in an Inn inside town.

But limiting the areas and time a party can rest they've imposed a restriction on spell-memorization that wasnt in the original (dare I say, true) game... thus they have to introoduce a non-authentic "fix" to cover over a problem created when they decuided to veer away from the true DnD ruleset.

Cavalier- fucked around with this message on 04-26-2006 at 06:44 AM.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 04-26-2006 04:42:46 PM
Spell points are used in 3.0 and in 3.5 - for psionics.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-26-2006 05:08:42 PM
You can't use the "spell slots per day" in an online MMO because you'd somehow have to force players to roleplay downtime sleeping/meditating. As in not "on an adventure" downtime between mobs.

Error
Pancake
posted 04-26-2006 06:39:46 PM
Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 04-26-2006 06:51:28 PM
quote:
Error had this to say about Tron:

WTF?

"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
«Banned»
Not A Winner
posted 04-26-2006 07:19:51 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Anakha said:
WTF?

A more useful post than any one you've made.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Zaeron
Pancake
posted 04-26-2006 07:30:46 PM
Anyone who thinks playing a wizard before at least level 5 is 'fun' in the regular PnP D&D should have their head examined. The first five levels of wizard are an agonizing exercise in 'I attack with my quarterstaff and roll a 7, plus one'.

The spell slot system works great... at the high end. Of course, then you don't use all the spells you have anyway.

And it doesn't work at the low end, when it would actually be used as a limiter on spells per day.

I've never played D&D Online, but I wouldn't consider diverging from the source on this particular matter a very bad thing at all.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-26-2006 10:01:23 PM
quote:
Cavalier- had this to say about Captain Planet:
Stupid stuff

Man, I wish I could flame you.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: