EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Silent Hill
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 04-21-2006 10:39:13 PM
GO SEE IT! NOW!
Parce Looks Like Donkeylips
Tremendous Faggot
posted 04-21-2006 10:41:14 PM
quote:
Y.O.T.C had this to say about dark elf butts:
GO SEE IT! NOW!

You know, when you write a review, you have to ya know...write one.

Seriously, leave this shit to the professionals.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-21-2006 10:47:11 PM
I was going to go see it tonight, but I really couldn't be arsed.

Maybe next weekend.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 04-21-2006 10:48:58 PM
But... but... I just got back from seeing it!

Awesome movie, definitely one of the finer video game to movie offerings out there.

It sufficiently carried the same atmosphere of the game, nice and trippy. I especially liked the appearances of Pyramid Head, though I wish they would have given a bit more of an explanation of his role.

My only real complaints are these. The movie didn't go into the mind-warp factor of the town enough. Sure, it hit on all the points in the games, but it was more mindless terror rather than psychological terror. I did appreciate that they didn't have mindless scares, but the thought out scares were less about getting into the psyche and more about getting into the pure primal terror, which isn't really what Silent Hill is about.

And... The fact that they didn't really get into any detail about Samael at all. Allysa (I think that's the spelling) was hardly given any separation from her, and there needed to be that distinction.

The scenes with Pyramid Head were really awesome, and the nurses in the hospital could NOT have been done better.

Finally... The cop was hotness. I was sad that they killed her, and in such a mindless way as burning at the climax of the film? That was a major letdown for her character...

I should probably also note that the backstory provided for the town was awesome, and the desertion was perfectly handled. Everything that happened outside of the town was marvelously handled, even if it was a little far-fetched at some points.

Ending talk here. They also went with a bad ending, something I could easily see taking place in the game if the player didn't do things right. Not how I would have ended the film, but it was definitely a Silent Hill-worthy ending.

Mooj fucked around with this message on 04-21-2006 at 10:54 PM.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 04-22-2006 12:04:56 AM
I had to take Alaan and Janus out to burito loco or however you spell it. Otherwise I would have written a full review.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-22-2006 12:15:22 AM
I liked it.
I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Sean
posted 04-22-2006 12:18:42 AM
When you write a review, you generally want to say things that aren't spoilers.

Mooj sucks at reviewing.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Parce Looks Like Donkeylips
Tremendous Faggot
posted 04-22-2006 12:22:45 AM
This thread fails.

I hope you all get raped by pyramid head!

Alaan
posted 04-22-2006 12:27:55 AM
There wasn't nearly enough rape.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 04-22-2006 12:34:11 AM
quote:
Sean stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
When you write a review, you generally want to say things that aren't spoilers.

Mooj sucks at reviewing.

I'm not being paid to review. I was stating my opinions on the movie which primarily included the spoilers.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 04-22-2006 12:43:10 AM
I thought it sucked.

• Horrible dialogue in many places. Forgivable in a video game ("the end is neigh," anyone?) but not in a goddamn movie.

• I hated the Shanon and Cybil characters. If Shanon isn't failing at being sickeningly cute she's letting out the most obnoxious screaming I've ever heard from a child. The role of Cybil was apparently played by Supercop VanDyke, a very poor casting choice for this paticular movie.

• The whole cult/mysticism part was turned into something much less interesting and much more lame. They also bisected Dahliah's character from the game into one interesting but underutilized character and one character I couldn't give two shits about. At least she gets tentacle raped by razor wire.

• Pyramid Head, while neat as all hell, is just kinda there to serve as blatent fanservice. They make no attempt to explain his existence. Why he exists was what made him interesting in SH2 in the first place.
  • I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
    Vorago
    A completely different kind of Buckethead
    posted 04-22-2006 03:30:52 PM
    After seeing this movie it occurs to me that I really need to find and play the Silent Hill games now D=
    Snoota
    Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
    posted 04-22-2006 03:57:10 PM
    quote:
    A sleep deprived JooJooFlop stammered:
    I thought it sucked.

• Horrible dialogue in many places. Forgivable in a video game ("the end is neigh," anyone?) but not in a goddamn movie.

• I hated the Shanon and Cybil characters. If Shanon isn't failing at being sickeningly cute she's letting out the most obnoxious screaming I've ever heard from a child. The role of Cybil was apparently played by Supercop VanDyke, a very poor casting choice for this paticular movie.

• The whole cult/mysticism part was turned into something much less interesting and much more lame. They also bisected Dahliah's character from the game into one interesting but underutilized character and one character I couldn't give two shits about. At least she gets tentacle raped by razor wire.

• Pyramid Head, while neat as all hell, is just kinda there to serve as blatent fanservice. They make no attempt to explain his existence. Why he exists was what made him interesting in SH2 in the first place.

• Now that's the JooJooFlop we know and love.

JooJooFlop
    Hungry Hungry Hippo
    posted 04-22-2006 04:00:56 PM
    quote:
    Snoota wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
    Now that's the JooJooFlop we know and love.

Sorry, I forgot I wasn't allowed to dislike anything due to inaccurate perceptions that I hate everything.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
    Snoota
    posted 04-22-2006 04:01:37 PM
    Don't let it happen again.
    JooJooFlop
    Hungry Hungry Hippo
    posted 04-22-2006 04:03:37 PM
    quote:
    Vorago had this to say about Captain Planet:
    After seeing this movie it occurs to me that I really need to find and play the Silent Hill games now D=

They released 2-4 in a collection recently, but you'd have to go used bin diving or eBay for the original. Just read a plot summary and play the rest in order of 3, 2 and 4.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
    Alaan
    posted 04-22-2006 04:32:31 PM
    SH is getting a rerelease on PSP apparently.
    Manticore
    Not Much Fun Anymore
    posted 04-23-2006 12:29:23 AM
    Yeah so I saw it, and I liked it. Until the end. WTF kind of ending was THAT?!
    "France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
    Mooj
    Scorned Fanboy
    posted 04-23-2006 04:48:49 AM
    quote:
    From the book of Manticore, chapter 3, verse 16:
    Yeah so I saw it, and I liked it. Until the end. WTF kind of ending was THAT?!

Definitely NOT the ending I would have chosen, to be sure...

Y.O.T.C
    No longer a Towel Girl
    posted 04-23-2006 04:56:06 AM
    quote:
    There was much rejoicing when Mooj said this:
    Definitely NOT the ending I would have chosen, to be sure...

Yea, mine would have had more violence and death.

/me nods sagely

Mr. Crabs
    Pancake
    posted 04-23-2006 10:39:06 AM
    I'm angry. I went out with my friends expecting to see a terrible movie like Doom and ended up seeing a movie that translated well to movie format and was accurate to its source material. I heavily recommend this movie to any who have played the games or who like good scary movies in general.

Edit: Only thing I didn't like was the ending. I'm reasonably sure that there will be alternate endings on the DVD release. I thought that the ending was going to be that the devil went into Shannon at the end because Shannon opens up her eyes against Rose's advice and sees the devil looking at her and smiling.

Mr. Crabs fucked around with this message on 04-23-2006 at 10:42 AM.

There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
    There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
    There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
    There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
    Vorago
    posted 04-23-2006 10:56:14 AM
    quote:
    Mr. Crabs had this to say about Cuba:
    Edit: Only thing I didn't like was the ending. I'm reasonably sure that there will be alternate endings on the DVD release. I thought that the ending was going to be that the devil went into Shannon at the end because Shannon opens up her eyes against Rose's advice and sees the devil looking at her and smiling.

Uh, wait, that WASN'T the ending? I saw it as the devil went into Sharon (most likely would have even if she didn't open her eyes) and that is why they never left the void Silent hill was stuck in between the real world and the nightmare, the void just expanded to encompass Sharon's home after everything was over leaving Rose trapped unawares with what she thinks is her daughter

Aury
    My hair is a deadly weapon
    posted 04-23-2006 01:57:16 PM
    They didn't do what they did with the Clue movie, did they?
    JooJooFlop
    Hungry Hungry Hippo
    posted 04-23-2006 02:33:18 PM
    quote:
    Aury stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
    They didn't do what they did with the Clue movie, did they?

I wish.

Alaan
    posted 04-23-2006 06:25:18 PM
    Here are two of the major theories I have seen:

1) Rose, Sharon, and Cybil were dead most of the movie.
    2) Rose's "sin" of helping get the revenge vs. the cultists basically damned her to get stuck in Silent Hill.

Arrenn Lightblade
    Yes. Yes he is.
    posted 04-23-2006 06:57:21 PM
    It can't be 1 because they found the car, but not bodies or anything to indicate they were dead.
    Palador ChibiDragon
    Dismembered
    posted 04-23-2006 08:30:59 PM
    quote:
    Arrenn Lightblade had this to say about dark elf butts:
    It can't be 1 because they found the car, but not bodies or anything to indicate they were dead.

When Silent Hill went toasty, they didn't find alot of the bodies then, either. Whatever happened, takes the body too.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
    Vorago
    posted 04-23-2006 09:49:49 PM
    quote:
    There was much rejoicing when Palador ChibiDragon said this:
    When Silent Hill went toasty, they didn't find alot of the bodies then, either. Whatever happened, takes the body too.

Well, from what I gathered watching the movie was that when she drew them all into her nightmare she basically copied the town, the real town was still there but a second copy was formed. The copied town was supposed to be drawn into her nightmare but the faith of the witchburners basically anchored it halfway, sticking it halfway between the real world and the nightmare world. Hanging in limbo were all those that had been marked by her, either intentionally or not (The blond nurse) were kept. Those she had no quarrel with stayed behind in the real silent hill. When the darkness came it was her trying to drag the town down but the church was able to anchor it back to it's halfway point over and over.

The car was there when it entered and when they were 'added' to the limbo town the vehicles they were in were copied into the limbo town as well, leaving what the police found in the real town. At the end she didn't get in her real car having never left the limbo, but (I assume) thinking she had

Arttemis
    Not Squire... but a guitar!
    posted 04-24-2006 12:08:01 AM
    Since I know we have a few Pyramid Head fans here...

I think I missed a whole lot by not playing SH2. That video makes no sense to me at all. It's a little if you know what I mean.

Sean
    posted 04-24-2006 01:32:21 AM
    I'm a little torn on this one. It's certainly a better video game movie than is the norm, but it just wasn't scary. I'm lazy so this whole thought is going to be in spoiler tags.

They blew their load with Pyramid Head early, though there wasn't really any better time to do it without going into the details of his existance beyond being "the demon". I've never touched SH2, but I know the basics, though I'm a little confused about a male character that seems to be missing. David? Daniel? Something with a D, I don't know. I am glad PH got a different hood for the movie, it was a shitload more menacing than the dunce cap I see him wearing in gameplay videos. If I play SH2 I almost expect him to flip it up and yell, "DUURRRR!"

Cop chick was alright, but served as too permanent of wallpaper. The mention of her previous Silent Hill experience was nice, but again, she was never really given any time to shine, so to say. She fucks around with Rose a bit, punches some guys, then gets cold cocked and burnt alive. That was about the extent of her character.

The Devil (Samael?) was pretty well done imo. The young evil girl cliche may be getting a bit played out at this point, but she fit the story perfectly. I didn't mind it, but I would've accepted pretty much anyone portraying a demon/Satan after my last Hollywood encounter with the big man.

I can see the ending is going to get a lot of hate, but again, I liked it. It was pretty solid. Certainly better than either of its counterpart Resident Evil movies.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Snoota
    posted 04-24-2006 02:05:16 AM
    quote:
    Sean stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
    but I would've accepted pretty much anyone portraying a demon/Satan after my last Hollywood encounter with the big man.

Peter Stormare is awesome in everything he does.

You take that back.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 04-24-2006 09:42:34 AM
    quote:
    Arttemis said:
    Since I know we have a few Pyramid Head fans here...

I think I missed a whole lot by not playing SH2. That video makes no sense to me at all. It's a little if you know what I mean.

He's just a normal guy who likes wearing funky hats and raping mutilated people.

Cut him some slack.

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: