EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Who's got the military background?
The Blob
Approved by Maradon
posted 04-15-2006 12:50:10 AM
I've noticed that there are some military folk on this board, and being ex (well, inactive ready reserve until 07) military, I'm interested in youse dudes' experience with it (unclassified stuff, of course. I'm not trying to get anyone arrested). I've gathered that Bloodsage is an officer (thus keeping the rules in check when I fucked up all over that first thread I did, ) and Led is in there too.

Here's me:

Aug 99 - went to USAF Basic Training. Couldn't laugh, although a lot of funny things happened.
Oct 99 - went to language school. Sucked at Hebrew for 8 months, got rolled into Spanish, which is easier because of the similar alphabet (no Alefs or Gimels).
Mar 01 - went to Texas for "Technical Training". Inadvertantly had a "Let's see who can kill themselves with booze first" contest with everyone I knew there. For seven months straight. Good thing I'm of Czech descent.
Oct 01 - Got stationed for the first time as a Non-Trainee in Maryland. Got aquainted with all of the clubs where one can see good rock, punk, metal, go-go, and jazz shows in the Balto/DC area.
Sept 03 - got out, got hired to a defense contracting company. Bought more guitars.

So, how about you?

nem-x
posted 04-15-2006 01:13:27 AM
Led
*kaboom*
posted 04-15-2006 01:47:30 AM
*Is a USAF Nurse* ;P
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 04-15-2006 01:49:41 AM
*Grew up a Brat, and knew better than to enlist.*
Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
The Blob
Approved by Maradon
posted 04-15-2006 03:10:42 AM
I'll let you choose your favorite answer:

A) Not nurse, us USAF folk prefer the term "Comfort Girl".

or

B) Really, I don't think I ever saw any USAF nurses. But then again I only went to the clinic once in my 4 years in, and that was while on "Trainee Status", so of course I got in trouble for only having 17 of the 19 people sign the correct form that said I should go puke in the barracks, not in the classroom. Kinda soured me on the whole thing. Instilled a sense of self reliance though

The Blob
Approved by Maradon
posted 04-15-2006 03:17:04 AM
Sorry, Led, I thought you were army and making a joke about USAF.

It took me a half hour before I realized what you meant.

*note to self, while drinking Wild Turkey, really READ, and REREAD if I have to, responses before posting a reply that makes me look like an ass.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 04-15-2006 06:34:23 AM
U.S. Navy. Aviation Electrician.

June 03-Boot camp
Sept 03-Tech School
Jan 04-Graduated Tech School
Feb 04-Showed up at present command
Apr 06-Still stuck here

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 04-15-2006 09:57:56 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Kaiote!

qft.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 04-16-2006 08:54:39 AM
March 05 Go to Navy Boot Camp
June - September, Nuke school
September, Captains Mast for being late to weekend class
January 06, Chill at the ronald regan, CVN 76, deploy 3 days after I arrive.
April 06, still in the middle east.

Wheee

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Big Easy
Pancake
posted 04-16-2006 11:34:33 PM
quote:
Kaiote had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

Ditto, though a commission isn't out of the question (both parents were Naval Officers, plus many other family members).

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 04-17-2006 12:14:17 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Big Easy:
Ditto, though a commission isn't out of the question (both parents were Naval Officers, plus many other family members).

You do know that you arent likely to be commissioned just because you have family who were, right? Theres other things they consider.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 04-17-2006 03:28:58 PM
While just having a military officer backround isnt going to get you anywhere, I'd imagine your parents tried to instill the values that are going to make a decent officer.

However, those values are to chill out and let your subordinates with 20 more years expierience do what they know how to do, and then once you make 06, listen to the officers that have more expierience in the departments they are in than you do, and then make general decisions. Then you get to be on the fucking TV and say stupid shit to all the sailors every few days :-/

Remember, if you become a Naval Officer, 95% of the enlisted are going to think your a fucking idiot.

Or maybe my captain just sucks.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 04-17-2006 05:31:51 PM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
While just having a military officer backround isnt going to get you anywhere, I'd imagine your parents tried to instill the values that are going to make a decent officer.

However, those values are to chill out and let your subordinates with 20 more years expierience do what they know how to do, and then once you make 06, listen to the officers that have more expierience in the departments they are in than you do, and then make general decisions. Then you get to be on the fucking TV and say stupid shit to all the sailors every few days :-/

Remember, if you become a Naval Officer, 95% of the enlisted are going to think your a fucking idiot.

Or maybe my captain just sucks.

Not true, at least in my command. Despite what a lot of poeple think, O's are O's for a reason. The good ones listen to the advice from others with more experience, as does anyone with half a brain, enlisted, officer, or civillian. Officers just happen to be the upper management as opposed to the labor, which would be the E-5 and below. That means they are under the microscope a bit more, so their fuckups look bigger.

I would advise against making such generalizations about a given occupation. Its like saying all USAF personnel are lazy, or all Army guys are ignorant grunts. Its just not true.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Peter
Pancake
posted 04-17-2006 07:10:27 PM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
....However, those values are to chill out and let your subordinates with 20 more years expierience do what they know how to do, and then once you make 06, ....

Say what? You know the last time I checked, it is really bad to let any subordinate run the show, that would be like showing poor leadership. And you really think you will get Captain by letting your some one else do your work?

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 04-17-2006 09:17:48 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Peter:
Say what? You know the last time I checked, it is really bad to let any subordinate run the show, that would be like showing poor leadership. And you really think you will get Captain by letting your some one else do your work?

Delegation of authority.
You TELL them to do thier jobs, they do thier jobs.

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 04-17-2006 10:49:33 PM
quote:
Kaiote had this to say about Robocop:
Delegation of authority.
You TELL them to do thier jobs, they do thier jobs.

Well, yes and no. As an officer, you tend to look at the bigger picture. If necessary, it's not unheard of for an officer to get their hands dirty, but that's a waste of their abilities and training. They'd be better used coordinating with other teams to get the resources (human and otherwise) to the problem.

One of Dad's favorite leadership (sea) stories was his use of the mail backup on a carrier to get the choppers out from the other ships in the carrier group, including the frigate he needed to get to. He just called them last for mail pickup and hopped on while they were there. That's organizing resources to accomplish more than one task.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-19-2006 02:23:54 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Azakias squealed:
Not true, at least in my command. Despite what a lot of poeple think, O's are O's for a reason. The good ones listen to the advice from others with more experience, as does anyone with half a brain, enlisted, officer, or civillian. Officers just happen to be the upper management as opposed to the labor, which would be the E-5 and below. That means they are under the microscope a bit more, so their fuckups look bigger.

I would advise against making such generalizations about a given occupation. Its like saying all USAF personnel are lazy, or all Army guys are ignorant grunts. Its just not true.

And she wins the cookie!

Es get to look at the world through a straw, and get to care only about getting their particular job done. As it should be. Os, on the other hand, always always always have to look at things in a larger context. Thus, their decisions don't always make sense to those not privy to the larger context--whatever that might be at a given moment.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Maradon!
posted 04-19-2006 02:43:26 PM

Who told you to THINK?

I don't give you enough INFORMATION to THINK.

You do what you're told. THAT'S WHAT YOU DO.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-19-2006 03:05:09 PM
Sometimes, that's the way it has to be.

The problem isn't thinking, but thinking while thinking one has all the information when one really doesn't.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: