EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Uh... hmmm... comp problems
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 04-09-2006 10:22:21 PM
Okay, here's something that's got me worried.

I was just in the middle of playing CoH, when all of a sudden my comp just turned itself off. I tried to turn it back on, and it started to power up, only to shut itself down again after about three seconds.

I took some canned air to the fans and inside the case, cleared out a bit of dust, and after probably five minutes or so, I was able to start up again with no problem.

What the heck just happened? Should I be concerned?

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-09-2006 10:23:52 PM
Gremlins.

Densetsu nods sagely.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 04-09-2006 10:25:38 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about dark elf butts:
Gremlins.

Densetsu nods sagely.

But... I just bought this anti-Gremlin stick a year ago! The guy promised me that it would keep Gremlins away!

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-09-2006 10:27:42 PM
quote:
Mooj was naked while typing this:
But... I just bought this anti-Gremlin stick a year ago! The guy promised me that it would keep Gremlins away!

Did you apply it to all of the potential Gremlin nesting areas?

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 04-09-2006 10:28:58 PM
quote:
Densetsu Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Did you apply it to all of the potential Gremlin nesting areas?

I waved it around over my head and said "ooga-booga" and then stuck it in the closet. What, was I supposed to do more?

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-09-2006 10:41:48 PM
Did you read the instruction manual?
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-09-2006 11:16:21 PM
Sounds like what happened to me way back when. Can't remember, but I want to say it was a heat issue. Maybe your machine isn't cooling down enough. Fan might be dying or something.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 04-09-2006 11:21:12 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael stammered:
Sounds like what happened to me way back when. Can't remember, but I want to say it was a heat issue. Maybe your machine isn't cooling down enough. Fan might be dying or something.

Yeah same thing happened to me. It was my fan locking up.

Lashanna
noob
posted 04-09-2006 11:50:40 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

Yes. I had to get a new heatsink and cpu fan and it was not fun at all.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 04-10-2006 12:49:26 AM
Hmmm... shit. Well, I hope it was just a one-time thing. Thanks for letting me know, guys. I appreciate it.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-10-2006 07:28:43 AM
Case fans are a relatively cheap thing if that is the problem. The fact that it boots up fine a few moments later suggests it just needed time to cool down. How badly gunked up was it when you blasted it with air?
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-10-2006 07:40:50 AM
If you want to find out for sure whether a fan is the problem, open up the case and turn on the PC. (Yes, it's safe, just don't touch anything.) If one fan is making a loud (as in drowning out other sound loud, not just gaming fan loud) buzzing noise or is not turning fast enough to blend the fan blades into a blur, that's your most probable problem.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-10-2006 08:20:13 AM
Sounds like a heat issue. Pop it open and watch the fans like Doc said. I believe we fixed Deth's problem with the addition of a couple more case fans.

If it's not those, it might be the power supply going out. But it really sounds like a heat issue.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: