EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Cheap beer doesnt always suck!
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 03-25-2006 01:33:14 AM
So I recently found this cheap beer, Ziegenbock, some texas brewed stuff. Twelve bucks for a twelve pack of bottles. Its pretty awesome.

Anyone else found any cheap beer that does not suck?

Maradon!
posted 03-25-2006 01:39:59 AM
Killians

Yeungling

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-25-2006 09:29:33 AM
Honey Brown. That's gotten me hammered through many a budget crunch.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Skaw
posted 03-26-2006 02:07:01 AM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Killians

Disagree, bad after taste.

quote:
Yeungling

Agreed. Best thing you can get for 3.60~/6pk.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 03-26-2006 at 02:08 AM.

Maradon!
posted 03-26-2006 07:17:24 PM
The killians aftertaste is a trademark of red beers. It's a result of the malts used in making a red beer and it's considered to be one of the selling points of that type of beer.
Skaw
posted 03-26-2006 07:19:48 PM
quote:
Verily, Maradon! doth proclaim:
The killians aftertaste is a trademark of red beers. It's a result of the malts used in making a red beer and it's considered to be one of the selling points of that type of beer.

Killians tastes pretty good, but a few moments later after your tongue starts drying up, just.. blech.

Maradon!
posted 03-26-2006 07:23:30 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Skaw who doth quote:
Killians tastes pretty good, but a few moments later after your tongue starts drying up, just.. blech.

It tends to be a little cloying after a while if you're slamming them back, but it goes really well with a meal.

leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 03-26-2006 07:27:22 PM
Carling... Though I'm not sure how cheap it is over there. 8 cans for £4 at the local off license here. And it doesn't suck, it's just not particuarly good either.

More of a Cider person myself.

leckzilla! fucked around with this message on 03-26-2006 at 07:28 PM.

The Blob
Approved by Maradon
posted 03-27-2006 05:24:29 PM
When I go budget, I REALLY go budget. 30-pack of Schaefer for $12. It's not terrible, but then again, I haven't really found a beer that I don't like.
Maradon!
posted 03-27-2006 05:36:59 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into The Blob who doth quote:
When I go budget, I REALLY go budget. 30-pack of Schaefer for $12. It's not terrible, but then again, I haven't really found a beer that I don't like.

Here in the steel buckle of the rust belt we have the legendary Keystone Ice. It is terrible, but it's $15/30 and it takes maybe three to get a seasoned drinker respectably buzzed.

I got more drunk off a 6 pack of that shit than I did off six shots of tequila.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-27-2006 at 05:37 PM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 03-27-2006 11:50:30 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about (_|_):
....legendary Keystone Ice. ...

Any beer that has "Ice" in it falls to the suck side.

--Not beer, but Boon's Farm is a fine white wine at buck a bottle or so.

--Jebus fucking Christ how did I do that?

Peter fucked around with this message on 03-28-2006 at 12:05 AM.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 03-28-2006 01:45:39 AM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Captain Planet:
Any beer that has "Ice" in it falls to the suck side.

--Not beer, but Boon's Farm is a fine white wine at buck a bottle or so.

--Jebus fucking Christ how did I do that?

Boon's Farm, Kiwi MD 20-20, and Keystone Ice were the budget themes of this summer.

Hopefully my friends and I have better taste this upcoming one.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-28-2006 02:37:31 AM
So, what do you pay for half a liter of beer anyway?

In a store?
In a bar/restaurant?

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Maradon!
posted 03-28-2006 02:56:36 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Tarquinn who doth quote:

In a store?
In a bar/restaurant?

Half a liter would work out to about 1/8th of a gallon I believe, or 16oz... which would be roughly one can?

It varies wildly from state to state due to local taxes, but cheap domestics are usually sold in stores for around $15/30 (or $0.50 USD per can) with imports or nicer beers like Sam Adams (bottled of course) running about double or triple that.

In a bar expect to pay around $2.00 USD for a cheap domestic, with imports ranging slightly more, up to about $4.00

Restaraunts are usually a tiny bit more than bars.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-28-2006 at 02:58 AM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 03-28-2006 06:44:35 AM
quote:
Tarquinn's account was hax0red to write:

In a store?
In a bar/restaurant?

Depends on the state your in, some states will tax your hooch more than others, or you hit blue laws that mean yu can only buy on certain days/times.

Were I live 6 packs of longnecks run about 6-8 bucks. I wish I could think of what cans cost, but I rarely drink shit out of a can. Bars and restrants here can have a big varience in price, most drafts run between 3-5 for about 16oz.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-28-2006 07:32:08 AM
That seems to be comparable to the prices here in Germany. In my experience food is a little bit more expensive in the states than it is in Europe. Good to see that the important essential things aren't affected by this.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-28-2006 09:16:54 AM
I found beer to be delightfully cheap in Berlin. Berliner Kindl Bock (7.0% alcohol, or double that of Yuengling) was 75 euro-cents per half-liter(a half liter is 16.9 ounces), in the store, taxes included. It worked out, with the conversion rate and everything, to about 90 US cents per.

So, 90 cents for what was equivalent to 33.8 ounces of Yuengling, or nearly three of them. All things told, it'd equate to 96 cents for three or $1.92 for a six pack. That's about half of what a sixer of Yuengling costs here in the states.

Of course, the asskicker? I drank so much of the stuff that I couldn't get plastered from two or even three of them by the end of my stay, and when I came back, I'd acquired a hollow leg.

Anyway, I've long-since given up my cheap ways. Life's too goddamned short to drink crappy booze.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-28-2006 11:10:21 AM
Honey brown is the ultimate cheap beer.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-28-2006 11:16:38 AM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Blindy. all over myself!
Honey brown is the ultimate cheap beer.

I know! And it's a microbrew, so there are distinct differences in each batch. I've gotten a few twelve packs that had a lot more honey in them....mmmm, scrumptious!

Beer.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 03-28-2006 01:01:54 PM
What do Indians having sex in a canoe and Oklahoma beer have in common?

It's fucking close to water.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 03-28-2006 05:38:54 PM
What do beer and Karnaj have in common?

They're both fucking disgusting and should be avoided at all costs.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-28-2006 05:53:55 PM
quote:
Get the soap! Snoota just said:
What do beer and Karnaj have in common?

They're both fucking disgusting and should be avoided at all costs.

You shut your filthy mouth and you never open it again.

TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 03-28-2006 09:36:22 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Fizodeth wrote:
So I recently found this cheap beer, Ziegenbock, some texas brewed stuff. Twelve bucks for a twelve pack of bottles. Its pretty awesome.

Anyone else found any cheap beer that does not suck?

that's not cheap. cheap is 12.95 no tax for a 30 rack.

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Big Easy
Pancake
posted 03-28-2006 10:32:45 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Karnaj said:
Life's too goddamned short to drink crappy booze.

A-fucking-men. It's also the best way to cut back on alcohol consumption.

As far as beers go, it's all about the Pilsner Urquell, Newcastle Brown Ale, and Guiness.

Scotches, gotta be The Glenlivet. Although Isle of Jura and 7-Crown aren't bad if you're looking for a cheaper 80-proof. Ancient Age is great at $12 a liter for whiskey, and you can use it to strip furniture, too!

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Maradon!
posted 03-28-2006 10:59:13 PM
quote:
x--Big EasyO-('-'Q) :
it's all about the Pilsner Urquell, Newcastle Brown Ale, and Guiness.

Newcastle I love, but I've never been able to get into guiness. It tastes too much like extremely burnt toast for my liking.

Demos
Pancake
posted 03-28-2006 11:15:13 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote this stupid crap:
Newcastle I love, but I've never been able to get into guiness. It tastes too much like extremely burnt toast for my liking.

That's why I'm more of a fan of Harp.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-28-2006 11:16:29 PM
I rather enjoy Guiness, but can't stand Newcastle.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: