EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Like it?
Author
Topic: Romeo and Juliet
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 03-17-2006 05:19:45 PM
So Im sure most of you have seen this movie with Leonardo Dicaprio placed in the modern world with the script pulled directly from the play.

How many of you liked it?

Personally I enjoyed it a great deal.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-17-2006 05:35:33 PM
West Side Story did taking Romeo and Juliet to modern times better.

Although I give them props for a great translation of Mercutio.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 03-17-2006 05:45:22 PM
Mercutio was a pimp in the play and in the movie.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-17-2006 05:49:07 PM
Yeah, they really captured the fun, devil-may-care nature and making him a transvestite was very odd, but very fitting, too.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 03-17-2006 05:55:22 PM
I was quite a fan of it.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 03-17-2006 06:05:51 PM
West Side Story changed more of the story, than it did simply taking a modern look at it.

And Mercutio was well done, but then, the casting in general was done well. Leguizamo as Tybalt was amazing.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Steven Steve
posted 03-17-2006 06:15:57 PM
It was pretty cool and I was glad they didn't do the plain old direct-translation approach, but it wasn't perfect so I selected "eh."
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-17-2006 06:19:28 PM
The dialogue didn't mesh well was my problem. Intriguing concept, but it didn't really work.

Steven Steve
posted 03-17-2006 06:22:37 PM
Yeah, they tried to mix in an old dialect with Flavor Flav and it didn't work very well. This rendition is sort of like the tranny hooker of the Shakespeare movies for some reason.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 03-17-2006 06:24:16 PM
I liked the "sword .9 mm"
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-17-2006 06:34:05 PM
And the AK-47 "Longsword"

It was typical Baz Luhrman schtick. Casting was great, but casting is never one of his problems. It's selling the rest of it that didn't...quite...work.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 03-17-2006 06:43:44 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael was naked while typing this:
And the AK-47 "Longsword"

It was typical Baz Luhrman schtick. Casting was great, but casting is never one of his problems. It's selling the rest of it that didn't...quite...work.

"Fetch me my longsword, HO!"

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Lashanna
noob
posted 03-17-2006 07:14:22 PM
I liked the Ethan Hawke modern Hamlet better, but I still liked this one for what it was.

Mercutio's death and the scenes just before and after it were really the high point of the film.

Which is sort of problematic when the climax of the story isn't until much later. Oops.

Lashanna fucked around with this message on 03-17-2006 at 07:16 PM.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 03-17-2006 07:20:09 PM
Mercutio kicked so much ass he stole the show.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 03-17-2006 07:34:11 PM
That movie was great just because of Mercutio. The rest sucked.
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 03-17-2006 09:15:12 PM
The death scene for Mercutio was shot right as a hurricaine was coming ashore.

Like RIGHT as it came ashore.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-17-2006 09:48:11 PM
I saw maybe the first ten or fifteen minutes of it and I thought it was the stupidest goddamn thing I had ever seen. I was laughing the whole time at how awful it was.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-17-2006 09:59:07 PM
quote:
How.... JooJooFlop.... uughhhhhh:
I saw maybe the first ten or fifteen minutes of it and I thought it was the stupidest goddamn thing I had ever seen. I was laughing the whole time at how awful it was.

Same here.

The dialogue was horrendous.

Willias fucked around with this message on 03-17-2006 at 09:59 PM.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 03-17-2006 10:54:15 PM
The Dialogue was straight from the play.

I liked it. :9

LeMiere
posted 03-18-2006 12:41:40 AM
I tend to think the entire play itself is stolen by Mercutio.

The movie just realized that.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-18-2006 02:25:30 AM
I detest modern interpretations of Shakespeare. Too much of a disconnect between the setting and the dialogue.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Maradon!
posted 03-18-2006 07:19:33 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Bloodsage who doth quote:
I detest modern interpretations of Shakespeare. Too much of a disconnect between the setting and the dialogue.

I thought the remake of Hamlet with Kenneth Branagh was pretty good.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 03-18-2006 09:50:04 PM
I am not a huge fan of Shakespeare. But I find it rather stupid to change a play's setting for what seems like... the sake of changing a play's setting.

Trying to modernize a play written hundreds of years ago is tacky at best.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 03-18-2006 10:20:13 PM
I liked the idea behind it, and the casting was great, but I feel fairly "meh" about the movie itself.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 03-18-2006 10:56:48 PM
My favourite part was when mercutio was singing and dancing at the party at the capulet's.... especially the hips! my GOD!

I loved it, I own it ^_^

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-19-2006 04:04:53 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Azakias gently hums:
I am not a huge fan of Shakespeare. But I find it rather stupid to change a play's setting for what seems like... the sake of changing a play's setting.

Trying to modernize a play written hundreds of years ago is tacky at best.

Unfortunately, the set and the blocking are pretty much all a director has to work with when putting his mark on a play.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: