EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Vonage
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-15-2006 08:51:39 PM
I recently ordered Vonage phone service, and received the router today. When I hooked it up, it behaved as an ordinary hub. It did not recognize the phone, did not obtain an IP address, and did not assign an address to my PC. However, the main router did assign an IP address to my computer, and my Internet connection worked fine.

After three tech support calls totalling roughly 30 minutes of diagnostics and 50 minutes of holding, we concluded that the router was probably defective. Due to physical constraints related to the location where my landlord keeps the router, we weren't able to perform a few of the tests the technician wanted to try.

Does anyone else use Vonage? Has anyone had an experience similar to mine, either with Vonage or in general?

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-15-2006 08:54:18 PM
quote:
`Doc got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I recently ordered Vonage phone service, and received the router today.

location where my landlord keeps the router

What?!

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-15-2006 08:57:04 PM
quote:
Densetsu really knows where their towel is...
What?!
Connected in series. Cable line -> landlord's router -> vonage's router -> my computer. However, they're in different rooms, and my landlord has his router in a spot that's very awkward to reach. He already gave me permission to perform maintenance and/or diagnostics as needed.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 03-15-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 03-15-2006 09:12:09 PM
I still don't understand why anyone would use Vonage over Skype.
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 03-15-2006 09:14:22 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Niklas said this:

publicity and name recognition.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 03-15-2006 10:07:18 PM
quote:
`Doc obviously shouldn't have said:
Connected in series. Cable line -> landlord's router -> vonage's router -> my computer. However, they're in different rooms, and my landlord has his router in a spot that's very awkward to reach. He already gave me permission to perform maintenance and/or diagnostics as needed.

wait, why?

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-15-2006 10:18:03 PM
Josh uses Vonage, and I remember him having some sort of trouble when he started it up. He can't remember what the problem was though.
Demos
Pancake
posted 03-15-2006 10:20:21 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Leftover Mog:
wait, why?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'm going to assume he's getting free internet from his landlord, and may be having issues stemming from port forwarding.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-15-2006 10:29:49 PM
quote:
When they turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive, Demos stammered,
If I had to hazard a guess, I'm going to assume he's getting free internet from his landlord
Yep.
quote:
and may be having issues stemming from port forwarding.
Nope. Before I can even implement port forwarding, the router needs to grab an IP. It wouldn't. The IP from my landlord's router passed straight through Vonage's router to my PC.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-15-2006 10:39:46 PM
quote:
Ninety-nine bottles of Niklas on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of Niklas...
Skype only runs over a PC. In addition to the initial cost of buying a PC headset, and the ongoing cost of both SkypeOut (calling non-skype phones) and SkypeIn (incoming phone number), it depends on the PC being up and running. At the moment, I have no intention of leaving my PC running full time. Plus if the PC fails, down goes the skype phone with it (I already have that problem with my TV on occasion).

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-17-2006 07:20:42 PM
Update!

The new router arrived today. Hooked it up, and it's good to go.

Good thing too, because the cable modem that was providing me with a phone line has either died or been deactivated.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 03-18-2006 08:44:56 AM
Vonage is kind of a raw deal unless you make a ton of outgoing calls every month. SIPphone is about $4/month for a dedicated number and like 2 cents per minute for outgoing calls.

-H

Hellbender fucked around with this message on 03-18-2006 at 08:45 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-18-2006 09:50:17 AM
Isn't Skype made by the same folks who produced KAZA. Regardless of your stance on file sharing, wasn't KAZA a huge pile of debilitating spyware?
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 03-18-2006 08:10:52 PM
quote:
Bloodsage's account was hax0red to write:
Isn't Skype made by the same folks who produced KAZA. Regardless of your stance on file sharing, wasn't KAZA a huge pile of debilitating spyware?

KaZaA, and yeah, it was.

Even the 'Lite' version, which so many people swore had no spyware...

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 03-18-2006 08:53:46 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Bloodsage was all like:

Yes but this time it's actually a serious business which makes money by actually making it rather than selling spyware space

If it starts becoming spyware ridden, I'll stop using it. At the moment it's fantastic and really easy to use though.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: