EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What do you miss about the old Video Game Arcades?
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 03-13-2006 04:38:32 PM
I'm pretty sure there's at least ONE of you out there who's never been to a video game arcade or at most don't even know what one is...

I miss those days when I would walk into the arcade to watch people playing a certain fighting game. There would be a teenager in there who defeats every single opponent who challenges him (he's playing as Ryu), doing his "victory" dance and making himself looking like a complete tool when doing so. That same person would then storm out of the arcade, screaming obscenities and accusations of cheating at his latest opponent after being schooled multiple times... by a middle aged guy who picks the fighting character wearing the pink Gi. Y'know, the character with the really short ranged fireball and the no-ranged dragon punch move.

Parce Looks Like Donkeylips
Tremendous Faggot
posted 03-13-2006 04:40:51 PM
There are no more standard arcades because the consoles can handle all the great fighting games anyways.

Now, in arcades..

we dance!

and sometimes play other instruments and stuff

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-13-2006 04:42:45 PM
The things I'd do for more quarters....*sigh*
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-13-2006 04:45:34 PM
That one game where you were a tank, and it was.. like.. a line of chairs that you and your friends sat in, and they were tanks too, and you trundled around a city blowing each other up.

Was great.

LeMiere
posted 03-13-2006 04:51:52 PM
I miss the passion.
The passion of handling red and blue guns at the same time.
Pretending I was a bad ass.
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 03-13-2006 05:14:39 PM
quote:
LeMiere was listening to Cher while typing:
I miss the passion.

Yep. Area 51 was the shit yo. Some random dude who was playing with me quit and I took over his spot, and ended up with a crowd of like a dozen people watching me as I beat the game for the first time.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 03-13-2006 05:15:20 PM
quote:
LeMiere wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I miss the passion.

Dual-gunning House of the Dead?0

Terminator 2 was a better game to do that with. The machine light guns would rattle around as you held the trigger down, so dual-gunning would lead to bullets being sprayed all over the place.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
LeMiere
posted 03-13-2006 05:54:21 PM
When my parents dragged me along on a Carribean cruise, I spent most of my time burning through quarters on some Western shooter. I eventually beat it, it was awesome. I was ten, it's not like I was gonna go out and get wasted like everyone else.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 03-13-2006 06:01:46 PM
I miss how if you did something badass, people would cheer at you. Positive reinforcement!

And Silent Scope. And there was one Jurassic Park game where you were in a big jeep thing and dinosaurs would come at you and it was actually pretty amusing.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 03-13-2006 06:11:04 PM
Do you know what I liked better than those arcades? The Laser-tag arenas; we have a two-story one about an hour from where I live.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 03-13-2006 06:15:24 PM
quote:
Mortious's fortune cookie read:
That one game where you were a tank, and it was.. like.. a line of chairs that you and your friends sat in, and they were tanks too, and you trundled around a city blowing each other up.

Was great.

Tokyo Wars. Ya, that one was fun.

Peter
Pancake
posted 03-13-2006 06:56:27 PM
My little bro used to work at the board walok, When i came to pick him up he usally stayed another 1-2 hours later, he woul pop open a game and give me like 100 credits I had a super high warrior in Guantlet legands. And I had the suyper high score on time crisis 1 and 2, getting one long chain of head shots after i played it so many times
Kael
Whistlepig
posted 03-13-2006 08:07:56 PM
Akimbo lightguns on those kinds of games. There's a House of the Dead machine at the theater that I still fool around with every now and then.

But I really miss playing Gauntlent Legends with my friends, but then we got the N64 version and played on a bigger TV

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 03-13-2006 08:20:29 PM
Greetings,

As silly as it seems, I miss pinball machines. I guess there is not much of a place for them today in the digital world.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Sean
posted 03-13-2006 08:28:25 PM
quote:
Tyewa Dawnsister was listening to Cher while typing:
I guess there is not much of a place for them today in the digital world.

Sure there is.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 03-13-2006 08:48:32 PM
quote:
Kael was listening to Cher while typing:
Akimbo lightguns on those kinds of games. There's a House of the Dead machine at the theater that I still fool around with every now and then.

But I really miss playing Gauntlent Legends with my friends, but then we got the N64 version and played on a bigger TV

I tried playing 4-player Gauntlet Legends on the N64 once. It was damn fun, but for some reason it kept freezing in the middle of the Dragon boss whenever we had more than two players.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 03-13-2006 10:19:08 PM
quote:
It's OK. It's OK. Just... just put it down, Manticore. It's all forgiven. You don't have to do this.
Do you know what I liked better than those arcades? The Laser-tag arenas; we have a two-story one about an hour from where I live.

I loved those things. There was one in the CN Tower that I went to all the time (Q-Zar?). I got the home laser-tag kit one year for Christmas, and while it was amusing to play laser tag in the comfort of your own home (read as: you'll break shit), having that huge futuristic laser-lights-and-dry-ice arena was really neat.

Especially when you have bad eyesight. 'Cause then you can spend five minutes stealthily tracking someone only to realize it's your own reflection.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 03-14-2006 03:15:31 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Nicole wrote:
I loved those things. There was one in the CN Tower that I went to all the time (Q-Zar?). I got the home laser-tag kit one year for Christmas, and while it was amusing to play laser tag in the comfort of your own home (read as: you'll break shit), having that huge futuristic laser-lights-and-dry-ice arena was really neat.

Especially when you have bad eyesight. 'Cause then you can spend five minutes stealthily tracking someone only to realize it's your own reflection.

Oh yes, real Laser Tag. I have not played that for quite sometime. Oh, how I miss the ol "knock on the wall, duck behind another corner, then ambush the person who fell for my trap" trick that I learned from some fancy new game called "Metal Gear Solid"

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 03-14-2006 09:37:47 AM
quote:
Kennatsu painfully thought these words up:
I'm pretty sure there's at least ONE of you out there who's never been to a video game arcade or at most don't even know what one is...

I miss those days when I would walk into the arcade to watch people playing a certain fighting game. There would be a teenager in there who defeats every single opponent who challenges him (he's playing as Ryu), doing his "victory" dance and making himself looking like a complete tool when doing so. That same person would then storm out of the arcade, screaming obscenities and accusations of cheating at his latest opponent after being schooled multiple times... by a middle aged guy who picks the fighting character wearing the pink Gi. Y'know, the character with the really short ranged fireball and the no-ranged dragon punch move.

That was Dan.. he was one of my favorites heh

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-14-2006 10:34:03 AM
Any of those race games/combat games where you and a couple of friends can plop into a row of chairs and have a ball racing and colliding. I remember the one time my old roleplay gang were all at the mall in Raleigh at the same time. Ended up dropping like five bucks a piece into the one boat race game (Hydro Thunder? something like that. Rocket-powered boats) chasing one another and acting like a bunch of freaks. With the full on "sit down console" thing you get so much more of an experience than if you just hold a vibrating controller.

By the same token, for all the fun soloing a shooter can be with guns akimbo (and yeah I've done it), it's a blast to have teams of people playing Time Crisis or the like.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 03-14-2006 12:38:59 PM
There was a great place called Grand Prix Race O Rama in Dania FL (not to far from the hai lai arena) where I used to go all the time. They'd have tons of games, and when I was younger it was about the size of a walmart but with just Game cabinets and such. Now its still the same size but with weird crap.

But I head a chain bought them out, on that failed miserably back in NY call Boomers

Oh well. I'll never forget the fun I've had at the place though playing imported cabinets that were still in full japanese from the art to the instructions and of course the game it self.

I miss that place.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-14-2006 12:50:31 PM
I miss Princess Daphne from Dragon's Lair.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 03-14-2006 02:45:56 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Any of those race games/combat games where you and a couple of friends can plop into a row of chairs and have a ball racing and colliding. I remember the one time my old roleplay gang were all at the mall in Raleigh at the same time. Ended up dropping like five bucks a piece into the one boat race game (Hydro Thunder? something like that. Rocket-powered boats) chasing one another and acting like a bunch of freaks. With the full on "sit down console" thing you get so much more of an experience than if you just hold a vibrating controller.

By the same token, for all the fun soloing a shooter can be with guns akimbo (and yeah I've done it), it's a blast to have teams of people playing Time Crisis or the like.

There was a racing game a long time ago, in the late 80's I think. It was a racing game from SEGA. Basically you raced "chibi" cars around from the top view and earned credits to buy upgrade parts for them. This was on a standup console with up to 4 players on it.

Oh... and then there's the ASCOT machine (also from SEGA) where you bet your tokens on a horse and got tickets from that.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 03-14-2006 03:57:09 PM
When I was visiting some friends in Savannah three or four years ago, we went to the arcade down there and there was some awesome Fist of the North Star import game. It was a sensor mat on the floor and six pads that could pop out ranging from mid-chest to eye level. You had to throw punches at the pads kinda like Whack-A-Mole, and the part that wound up causing me to lose involved hitting a 150-hit combo on this badass guy in a period of 20 seconds with all six pads flying back and forth insanely.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 03-14-2006 06:36:45 PM

I miss the old pinball machine Fathom, my first arcade game ever played was it, I played that thing every time I had a quarter from like the age of 7 onwards. Plus the backglass art both disturbed and intruiged me.

LeMiere
posted 03-14-2006 07:01:28 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Vallo!
When I was visiting some friends in Savannah three or four years ago, we went to the arcade down there and there was some awesome Fist of the North Star import game. It was a sensor mat on the floor and six pads that could pop out ranging from mid-chest to eye level. You had to throw punches at the pads kinda like Whack-A-Mole, and the part that wound up causing me to lose involved hitting a 150-hit combo on this badass guy in a period of 20 seconds with all six pads flying back and forth insanely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDrPgPgx6Hw&search=Gackt%20punching%20game Yeah, like this? (They start playing a quarter of the way through.)

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 03-14-2006 08:17:43 PM
quote:
LeMiere impressed everyone with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDrPgPgx6Hw&search=Gackt%20punching%20game Yeah, like this? (They start playing a quarter of the way through.)

That would be exactly it. If I remember correctly, that was like the first boss.

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
LeMiere
posted 03-14-2006 10:58:25 PM
quote:
Verily, Vallo doth proclaim:
That would be exactly it. If I remember correctly, that was like the first boss.

Yeah. Puffy and Gackt playing it just amuses me.

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 03-15-2006 12:40:39 AM
The bigass X-men side scrolling fighter that had TWO SCREENS! TWO. That fucker was huge!

The only remaining video arcade in town is a piece of shit with DDR and those awful gun shooting games that really want to be Time Crisis, but fail horribly.

Bummey the Fool fucked around with this message on 03-15-2006 at 12:41 AM.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 03-15-2006 03:53:03 PM
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Parce Looks Like Donkeylips
Tremendous Faggot
posted 03-15-2006 07:43:23 PM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about Duck Tales:
[xIMG]http://www.fraserking.co.uk/arcade/screenshots/double-dragon-1.png[/IMG]

I don't know how people can enjoy the NES version. I just don't know.

It's so fucking terrible.

Kennatsu
posted 03-15-2006 08:45:48 PM
Ah... Double Dragon. One arcade owner thought he was smart when he disabled one of the buttons needed for the Elbow Punch so you couldn't finish the game on one quarter (which a lot of players were doing). I ended up learning how to use the backwards jump kick to accomplish the same thing the elbow punch did, though it wasn't as effective.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-17-2006 09:07:08 AM
quote:
Bloodsage's fortune cookie read:

Awesome Art, and humour, but really crappy as a game.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-17-2006 12:13:06 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Tarquinn absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Awesome Art, and humour, but really crappy as a game.

At the time, it was the coolest thing evar, because of the smooth integration of the animation and control--it was like controlling a movie instead of a sprite.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 03-17-2006 01:31:12 PM
Greetings from the middle east yall,

For all that arcades have gotten worse in america, the ones I've seen in singapore and a now in the middle eastern countery I cant mention that Im at, they have made them fantastic.

I was at a place that was a mini skate park, net cafe, and arcade, one the 3rd floor of a mall, directly across from a chucky cheese style kids thing, with 6 resturant food court in between the two. They had all those weird "prop" games. DDR, Soccer, Gun games with weird controllers, and the current standard of Time Crisis.

I havent seen an arcade like it anywhere in the states, from the looks of it, and how popular it was, maybe arcades just need to diversify a little, and import more foreign games, parachuting onto (off all things) CVN 59, was pretty funny, as was the little red rocket labeled, "The United States" (I think it was supposed to be a nuclear missle or something)

I miss being able to go to an arcade, and people remembering who you were, when I first moved to the town I was living in pre-navy, I didnt have my computer yet, and spent dozens of hours at the Arcade in the mall, after I left, people who the arcade people knew who knew me asked about me. Touching

Anyway, its raining in Arabia, and like, midnight, peace yall

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 03-17-2006 01:42:27 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Bloodsage:

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: