EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Well this is incredibly lame...
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 03-06-2006 11:23:28 PM
Ontario college teachers decide to strike. This really sucks, I hope it doesn't go on for to long. I really don't want to take my classes over the summer months.

Here is some more info on what they are striking about. The most major point:

quote:
What will it take to settle the strike?

It will take a negotiated settlement between the parties.

Management has put forward an offer of 12.6% over four years that would move the new maximum salary for faculty to $94,277. Furthermore, management’s bargaining team is not requesting any increase to faculty workloads.

With this monetary offer, Ontario college faculty would remain the best paid among all 10 provinces. The differential between the salaries of high school teachers and college faculty will continue to positively increase for our faculty.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 03-06-2006 11:37:15 PM
It always seems so wierd that teachers ahve such a powerful union but such horrible pay.
Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 03-07-2006 12:04:19 AM
Our's are striking today so I'm taking the opportunity to do this goddamn fucking polyculture in southern greece essay.
Chugga
Pancake
posted 03-07-2006 12:18:00 AM
Sucks?!

Fuck that sound! That means I get to sit at work and do dick all cause nobody's there! Life is grand!

*dances*

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 03-07-2006 01:49:19 AM
Teacher's union strikes rarely last long, because they're quite effective. Just use the time positively and there'll be no problem.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-07-2006 07:44:08 AM
How odd.

There aren't teacher's unions everywhere here in the States. I don't know about Indiana, but I know there wasn't a teacher's union in North Carolina. There was/is one in Massachusetts, and they went on strike when I was in grade school up there.

But I don't think I've ever heard of a college professor union going on strike. College professors, even untenured ones, have a pretty sweet deal. Lot of grade school and high school teachers double up in the evenings at colleges to bring home extra tasty money.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 03-07-2006 11:11:56 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about pies:
College professors, even untenured ones, have a pretty sweet deal.

'part time' ones don't, with a phd they only get 3000 per course

I say part time in quotescasue often they teach alot more classes then 'real' professors

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 03-07-2006 11:47:27 AM
quote:
Leftover Mog had this to say about the Spice Girls:
'part time' ones don't, with a phd they only get 3000 per course

I say part time in quotescasue often they teach alot more classes then 'real' professors

Yeah, my English professor adjuncts at 4 different schools just to make ends meet.

Chugga
Pancake
posted 03-07-2006 12:12:31 PM
*grins as he looks around and see's 1 or 2 students in sight* Today will be a good day
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 03-07-2006 01:13:28 PM
My teacher predicted 2-3 weeks for the strike.

She also said if it's under 4 weeks, then they'll just extend the semester.

What pisses me off about this is what happens if it's over 4 weeks: I have to wait until next JANUARY to finish my program.

Oh, and if it lasts until Monday, then I lose my really important, 15%-of-my-mark placement that gives me experience in the field. The good news about that is that the lawyer can opt to have us, even if the college's insurance doesn't cover us.

However, the Vacation is nice

BeauChan fucked around with this message on 03-07-2006 at 01:15 PM.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: