EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: DDO?
Peter
Pancake
posted 02-23-2006 09:39:04 PM
Anyone Going to play this? I am thining of giveing it a shot. The no solo thing can bite, but honestly Once grouped I have good experances all around. Really as I see it in WoW or EQ2, do do any of the fun things you need to group up anyways.
Talonus
Loner
posted 02-23-2006 10:26:20 PM
It's received less than positive attention around here, so I doubt more than one or two folks will touch the game.
Maradon!
posted 02-23-2006 10:29:10 PM
I literally haven't heard a single thing about the game that I've liked, even from positive reviews.
Talonus
Loner
posted 02-23-2006 10:30:25 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Knight Rider:
I literally haven't heard a single thing about the game that I've liked, even from positive reviews.

I tried to be as positive as possible about the game when I commented on it here, but it still came out pretty damn negative.

Willias
Pancake
posted 02-23-2006 10:46:19 PM
My opinion: Give DDO a few months.

Once you get into the Market (level 3-ish) there seems to be a lack of content. Or at least I didn't have NEAR the variety of stuff to do that I had at level 1 and 2.

Give Turbine some time to add stuff in, and give the game time to make sure it's going to survive. Within a few months of the game's release, the level cap should be bumped up, Half Elves will likely be a playable race, and there should be a large increase in content.

SHOULD be. Which is why I say wait. If they don't manage to get stuff out in a few months, the game will likely be doomed to failure.

Maradon!
posted 02-23-2006 11:17:27 PM
quote:
Williasing:
If they don't manage to get stuff out in a few months, the game will likely be doomed to failure.

My money is on "failure"

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 02-24-2006 02:47:21 AM
I'm planning to get it.
'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 02-24-2006 03:33:08 AM
I'm going to try it out on my dad's account if WoW looses its newfound grip on me.
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Alberd
Pancake
posted 02-24-2006 03:56:28 AM
I want to get the game, I want to like the game, but I can't convince myself it's worth the $50 of a new release after hearing everything I've heard about it around here. I'll probably end up getting it anyways though, because I'm a compulsive buyer >_<
To live by the sword is to die by the sword.
Honor those who honor thee, be merciful to those who show thee mercy.
To those who offend thee and thine, show no mercy.
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-24-2006 04:17:01 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Alberd!
I want to get the game, I want to like the game, but I can't convince myself it's worth the $50 of a new release after hearing everything I've heard about it around here. I'll probably end up getting it anyways though, because I'm a compulsive buyer >_<

To be honest, it's a good game. I liked the hack-and-slash-esque control scheme, I liked the way the dungeons were set up, I liked a lot that the game has.

HOWEVER, as I said, it becomes apparent that there's a lack of content as soon as you get into the Marketplace. Which happens at level 2 or 3. If Turbine can't pick up on the lack of content the game has at release, it's going to suck after a month or two of play (if you play the game a lot, maybe even a couple of weeks).

The game has a lot of potential, but there's been many other MMOs that "had potential" and ended up screwing up. I don't see DDO any different, and if Turbine doesn't make up for the lack of initial content after a few patches, it's going to go down hill real quick.

Note: For a while, I had planned to pick this game up. It's fun. My brother and I were able to do quite a bit in the game as a duo, and if the EC'ers managed to decide to play on a single server, I didn't see grouping being an issue. However, that was the first time trying the game, and we didn't really play it much (first preview event... thing). Second time, during the final stress test, we went all out on the game, to see how far we could get and if it would truly be worth it. The game is great until 3, then there's a lack of choice of stuff to do, and you have to start repeating dungeons to continue leveling up. Apparently, to get past level 6 or so, you HAVE to go back and repeat dungeons.

Willias fucked around with this message on 02-24-2006 at 04:20 AM.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-25-2006 12:45:34 PM
I'm probably getting it just cause...
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 02-26-2006 05:42:28 AM
Nope.

Waiting for Auto Assault here.... then Star Trek Online after that.

Maradon!
posted 02-26-2006 11:11:24 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Cavalier- who doth quote:
Nope.

Waiting for Auto Assault here.... then Star Trek Online after that.

manual assault gets better fuel economy.

Mod
Pancake
posted 02-26-2006 11:18:50 AM
Not me. I really have zero attachment to the DnD system and the game looks like yet another medicore Everquest clone.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-26-2006 11:41:09 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mod wrote:
Not me. I really have zero attachment to the DnD system and the game looks like yet another medicore Everquest clone.

When you make fun of a game, make sure you're making fun of something that can be made fun of.

It isn't an EverQuest clone. At all. It's actually hack and slash-ish. The game uses real-time combat, instead of the auto attack system that so many games use today. Reading other people's opinions in previews, some have said that the game's controls feel more fluid once they've set up buttons and commands to the right places on a controller.

Right click to attack, shift to block, shift+move to jump to a side or tumble.

Peter
Pancake
posted 02-26-2006 12:55:53 PM
Got the preorder thing..one thing Trend that is grateing me now is people zerging the quests, and then doing them again, and not even on a hard or elite. well I can see not doing elite, Did the Millers basement on elite, thouse metal dogs are insanely armored then.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-26-2006 02:47:23 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about the Spice Girls:
When you make fun of a game, make sure you're making fun of something that can be made fun of.

He said it looks like EQ. He doesn't want to play it based on what's been said here and what he's looked at. It's a silly game.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 02-26-2006 02:53:37 PM
I'm still only level 1, but I'm enjoying it immensely. Myself and four of my friends all got it and plan to play together, so the grouping thing is taken care of.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: