EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Banning of Wi-Fi on a College Campus
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-22-2006 01:53:36 PM
Clicky.

So yea, banning Wi-Fi because there was an inconclusive study that showed that there may be a slight relationship between EMF and various conditions. Keep in mind that doctors have been putting people inside of giant magnets for years, and he is worried about some absurdly low wattage disperse wave.

Naimah fucked around with this message on 02-22-2006 at 01:55 PM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-22-2006 03:01:30 PM
Every couple of years someone tries to get something like that passed at Research Triangle Park in North Carolina. For a while it was cel phones, then it was wifi. Never mind the fact that at RTP they're experimenting/playing around with much more dangerous stuff.

On the upswing, the year someone was moaning about the dangers of all the extra line for ethernet connections, that whole area was refitted with fiber optic line.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 02-22-2006 07:37:10 PM
Shit, what's next? This guy gonna get crazy about his soul getting stolen by a camera?
Malbi
posted 02-22-2006 11:05:03 PM
*hides the soul stealing camera, from Deth*
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 02-22-2006 11:55:49 PM
Haha. We actually just got wi-fi this semester. And only in the library.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 02-23-2006 01:39:25 AM
Nearly my entire campus is wireless, and I work at a groundstation that can put out something like 50 watts of RF (although it doesn't have omni antennas on it, so that helps).

I've always wanted another pinky finger!

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 02-23-2006 02:04:39 AM
Problem with that: Human DNA and other molecules don't absorb in the frequency range of Wi-Fi.

It's UV and X-Rays you need to look out for. Especially the X-Rays, as they do a pretty good mix-and-match on the DNA molecule. UV only creates Thiamine-dimers, which can lead to miniscule transcription errors.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Maradon!
posted 02-23-2006 08:29:19 AM
quote:
x--Big EasyO-('-'Q) :
It's UV and X-Rays you need to look out for. Especially the X-Rays, as they do a pretty good mix-and-match on the DNA molecule. UV only creates Thiamine-dimers, which can lead to miniscule transcription errors.

So if you're copying someone's homework, stay the fuck away from sunlight. Gotcha.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 02-23-2006 08:53:12 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about the Spice Girls:
So if you're copying someone's homework, stay the fuck away from sunlight. Gotcha.

Seems so! *lol*

Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 02-23-2006 12:09:51 PM
Poeple just like to bitch about new technology, last time i saw him my granpa was saying how seventy years agoeveryone was terrified about radio waves killing them, im sure this case of stupidy will die down

on a side note, my college has something like 8 wifi networks (accordign to my psp) and ive seen more kids than i can count IMing during classes

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-23-2006 02:43:54 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Malbi said this:
*hides the soul stealing camera, from Deth*

*has secretly replaced the soul-stealing camera with the camera of gnome molestation, let's see if Malbi notices the difference*

and where did I GET a Camera of Gnome Molestation? Magic auction on the WWWW; Worlds-Wide-Wizard-Web.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Maradon!
posted 02-23-2006 07:31:24 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'baeling:
and where did I GET a Camera of Gnome Molestation? Magic auction on the WWWW; Worlds-Wide-Wizard-Web.

Contrary to popular belief, the WWWW is not a computer network, but a literal web, the sticky strands of which wizards may communicate across via tremorsense.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-23-2006 08:25:28 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about (_|_):
Contrary to popular belief, the WWWW is not a computer network, but a literal web, the sticky strands of which wizards may communicate across via tremorsense.

Tremorsense was 1.0, and the flaw was people with heavier or lighter than average hands would have a hard time being "heard" over a distance. So Liches, who generally end up as juicy skeletons in their extreme old age, often had the "Sorry grandpa, you're mumbling" problem. Which is funny because more often than not they were saying things like "get thee out of my domain" which of course is the crusty old wizard version of "Get off my lawn". Likewise, troll magi usually come off as "ME USE ALL CAPS TO ORDER PIE ONLINE" sorts of...well...trolls.

The new version is still a web, but you take a lightning mephit (elemental imp) and you STREEEEEEEEETCH it across the ether (hence "Ethernet" for "Ethereal Net") and send messages by manipulating one end of your mephit. Usually the right side is what you keep and the left side is tied into the WWWW.

Malbi's been experimenting with goblins, but they explode too fast; goblins, being mortal, just aren't physically elastic enough to stretch over theoretical distances. They get downright volatile if you stretch them through the fabric of a plane. On the other hand, stretching one out, then snapping it at someone like a rubber band, is quite amusing. The wizardly equivalent of an office war usually starts when a wizard has too many goblins at their disposal.

Malbi
posted 02-24-2006 01:32:00 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael wrote this stupid crap:
Malbi's been experimenting with goblins, but they explode too fast; goblins, being mortal, just aren't physically elastic enough to stretch over theoretical distances. They get downright volatile if you stretch them through the fabric of a plane. On the other hand, stretching one out, then snapping it at someone like a rubber band, is quite amusing. The wizardly equivalent of an office war usually starts when a wizard has too many goblins at their disposal.

Hee Hee theres always room for more goblins, its not like you can run out.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-24-2006 05:44:57 PM
quote:
Quoth Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael:
Tremorsense was 1.0, and the flaw was people with heavier or lighter than average hands would have a hard time being "heard" over a distance. So Liches, who generally end up as juicy skeletons in their extreme old age, often had the "Sorry grandpa, you're mumbling" problem. Which is funny because more often than not they were saying things like "get thee out of my domain" which of course is the crusty old wizard version of "Get off my lawn". Likewise, troll magi usually come off as "ME USE ALL CAPS TO ORDER PIE ONLINE" sorts of...well...trolls.

The new version is still a web, but you take a lightning mephit (elemental imp) and you STREEEEEEEEETCH it across the ether (hence "Ethernet" for "Ethereal Net") and send messages by manipulating one end of your mephit. Usually the right side is what you keep and the left side is tied into the WWWW.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-24-2006 11:01:50 PM
*bows*

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: