EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Good background music
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-16-2006 02:44:48 PM
Specifically, fast-paced music, preferably no vocals. The kind of thing that is good for listening to when working out, or in the background when playing a game.

Examples of what I'm talking about are Angel by Massive Attack, or the music that's been running in the background for much of the current 24 season. Not techno.

I'll notice a song here or there that I like and fits the theme, but I'm really looking for the name of the genre or an artist or two who specialize in this kind of thing.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
nem-x
posted 02-16-2006 02:55:57 PM
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-16-2006 03:41:50 PM
RPG soundtracks do pretty well for this. Someone here recommended Chrono Cross to me, and I agree, it's one of the better ones out there. Final Fantasy 7 or later have good soundtracks as well.

Logically it makes sense. These games have their own (fairly large) sound budgets, and many don't use voice actors. The music has to be good for background sound, because players listen to it looping for hours.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 02-16-2006 05:38:09 PM
What's wrong with Techno?
Mayor of Townsville
Pancake
posted 02-16-2006 05:48:50 PM
OverClocked Remix, a site that remixes video game music, probably has a lot of what you're looking for. It's pretty prestigious compared to some other video game remix sites, so most of the stuff on there is pretty high-quality.
The city of Townsville... is entirely mine!
Alaan
posted 02-16-2006 06:02:00 PM
The Final Fantasy stuff done by The Black Mages(Nobuo Uematsu's band) has some pretty awesome stuff.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-16-2006 06:17:09 PM
quote:
nem-x!
Angel is slow paced?

No, but it works well. I just prefer the fast paced equivalent. Anything alone this line would be good.

quote:
`Doc
RPG soundtracks do pretty well for this. Someone here recommended Chrono Cross to me...

I have it. I like it, but it's not really what I'm asking about here. Think more drum/bass centered music.

quote:
Alidane
What's wrong with Techno?

Nothing. It's just not really what I'm asking about.

quote:
Mayor of Townsville
OverClocked Remix

I grabbed everything they had and dropped it down to about 10%, the best of it all, and I have that.

[edit]I uglied up the format there pretty bad.[/edit]

Inferno-Spirit fucked around with this message on 02-16-2006 at 06:18 PM.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Parce Looks Like Donkeylips
Tremendous Faggot
posted 02-16-2006 07:20:03 PM
DDR music imo
nem-x
posted 02-16-2006 07:32:26 PM
nem-x
posted 02-16-2006 07:59:15 PM
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-16-2006 08:37:11 PM
Song 3 of post 1, and songs 1, 2, and 4 of post 2 don't work for me.
nem-x
posted 02-16-2006 09:14:07 PM
Stop getting your kicks from songs you sicko
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-16-2006 10:00:11 PM
DotA
nem-x
posted 02-17-2006 04:53:09 PM
And fixed because evercrest hates parenthesis
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-17-2006 10:49:09 PM
Massive Attack.

Edit: Er... welll you mentioned that in your first post already... nevermind.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 02-17-2006 at 10:50 PM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: