EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: See if you can figure out why I'm posting this article
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-15-2006 02:14:04 PM
And I'll give you a hint: it's something that's in the article. It's not some esoteric leap of deductive reasoning or something like that, and it's not because I care about this one way or the other, necessarily. It's right in front of you. In fact, if you see it, it'll probably leap right out at you, as it leapt out at me.

Article about some WoW policy hoopla.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Sean
posted 02-15-2006 02:19:00 PM
I honestly don't know what I'm looking for but The Spreading Taint has me in giggle fits the likes of which I've never known before.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 02-15-2006 02:23:22 PM
edit: Durrrr, my deduction was obvious fact.

Lechium fucked around with this message on 02-15-2006 at 02:26 PM.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-15-2006 02:24:13 PM
quote:
And coming in at #1 is Sean with "Reply." I'm Casey Casem.
I honestly don't know what I'm looking for but The Spreading Taint has me in giggle fits the likes of which I've never known before.

Sean wins. I look like an absolute loony here at work because I can't stop laughing.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-15-2006 02:25:32 PM
It's not illegal for a company that produces a product that has a form of communication built in and is hosted on their physical property, to put up guidelines as to how such means of communications are used. In addition, they can restrict the use of such a medium in any way that they see fit. This is a non-issue.

And in my opinion, it's things like "Gay Guilds" that set back any kind of equality that gays want. Just like organizations that are for women only, or for blacks only.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Ryuujin
posted 02-15-2006 03:04:39 PM
The Spreading Taint...omfg.
Maradon!
posted 02-15-2006 03:11:19 PM
quote:
x--DensetsuO-('-'Q) :
It's not illegal for a company that produces a product that has a form of communication built in and is hosted on their physical property, to put up guidelines as to how such means of communications are used. In addition, they can restrict the use of such a medium in any way that they see fit. This is a non-issue.

And in my opinion, it's things like "Gay Guilds" that set back any kind of equality that gays want. Just like organizations that are for women only, or for blacks only.

Exactly. Even if they wanted to have racial-hate fests complete with KKK themed quested armors, it'd still be 100% entirely within their rights, and that's exactly the way it should be.

And am I the only one who thought a GLBT was a kind of sandwich until they thought about it for a bit?

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 02-15-2006 03:16:40 PM
quote:
Verily, Maradon! doth proclaim:
And am I the only one who thought a GLBT was a kind of sandwich until they thought about it for a bit?

But I thought every guild was a sandwich friendly guild?

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-15-2006 03:21:23 PM
quote:
Batty wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
But I thought every guild was a sandwich friendly guild?

Blizzard doesn't like advertising sandwich friendly guilds, you know.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 02-15-2006 03:33:46 PM
But they state that they aren't only GLBT, just friendly to that mindset. Late in the article, Blizzard makes a statement about excluding heterosexuals, but that's not the case. What I'm reading is that they do have heterosexuals in the guild, but there's the stigma of being GLBT friendly in chat. No more than any family-friendly guild would require of their own members.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mod
Pancake
posted 02-15-2006 03:37:27 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Densetsu wrote:

Consider the general WoW population and the stunning array of homophobia and racism that is their way of speech. Can you blame gay people for wanting to enjoy their game without having to deal with kids calling things gay and homosexual all the time?

Edit: I don't see anyone mentioning legal action against Blizzard here and thus the issue of whether they are within their legal rights to do this is completely irrelevant. The policy doesn't really seem to be homophobic as much as an attempt by Blizzard to avoid dealing with openly homosexual players being mobbed.

Mod fucked around with this message on 02-15-2006 at 03:46 PM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Big Easy
Pancake
posted 02-15-2006 05:44:51 PM
quote:
Mod stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Edit: I don't see anyone mentioning legal action against Blizzard here and thus the issue of whether they are within their legal rights to do this is completely irrelevant. The policy doesn't really seem to be homophobic as much as an attempt by Blizzard to avoid dealing with openly homosexual players being mobbed.

If you read the follow-ups, you'll see that she's being represented by Lambda Legal. Things just can't be kept away from lawyers, eh?

If she doesn't like the company's choices (KKK quests, as mentioned, or the actual, current, situation, for example), she should do what she is doing and cancel her account.

And a "warning" is hardly something to call your lawyer over. I agree, the GM made a mistake, but after the apology and removal of the warning, the thing should just go away.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-15-2006 07:04:36 PM
Spreading. Taint.

Beer.

Sean
posted 02-15-2006 07:06:15 PM
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Mod
Pancake
posted 02-15-2006 08:11:19 PM
quote:
Big Easy's account was hax0red to write:
If you read the follow-ups, you'll see that she's being represented by Lambda Legal. Things just can't be kept away from lawyers, eh?

If she doesn't like the company's choices (KKK quests, as mentioned, or the actual, current, situation, for example), she should do what she is doing and cancel her account.

And a "warning" is hardly something to call your lawyer over. I agree, the GM made a mistake, but after the apology and removal of the warning, the thing should just go away.

When you are in the process of creating a publicity nightmare for a wealthy corporation, having a lawywer is a fairly good idea. Unless she claims emotional trauma and tried to squeeze money out of the deal I don't see anything unreasonable about her conduct.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 02-15-2006 11:45:02 PM
I always found it humorous when I'm in a major city and hear people advertising for their "18+ guilds".
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 02-16-2006 03:47:01 AM
Spreading Taint. Funny./

Persoanlly, I dont bring my real life into a game... so why should it matter is a player is male, female, gay, straight, etc, etc? Does anyone have a vested interest in caring about the characteristics of the player behind their healer or tank?

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Maradon!
posted 02-16-2006 04:18:48 AM
quote:
x--ModO-('-'Q) :
Edit: I don't see anyone mentioning legal action against Blizzard here and thus the issue of whether they are within their legal rights to do this is completely irrelevant.

Close! The entire issue is completely irrelevant.

To anything!

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 02-16-2006 at 04:19 AM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-16-2006 01:33:29 PM
quote:
Mod had this to say about Tron:
Consider the general WoW population and the stunning array of homophobia and racism that is their way of speech. Can you blame gay people for wanting to enjoy their game without having to deal with kids calling things gay and homosexual all the time?

All that means is you won't see it in guild chat. Simply being unguilded will have the same amount of such language, because no matter what guild you are in, you will still have such language in general chat and pick-up group chat.

Plus, why does your real-world sexual orientation have to do with WoW unless you're trying to get some e-poon/peen anyway?

Mod
Pancake
posted 02-16-2006 09:42:02 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
All that means is you won't see it in guild chat. Simply being unguilded will have the same amount of such language, because no matter what guild you are in, you will still have such language in general chat and pick-up group chat.

Plus, why does your real-world sexual orientation have to do with WoW unless you're trying to get some e-poon/peen anyway?

Yes it means that you would have a group people to group / raid with who do not bother you, which is basically what a guild is for.

Again, being constantly opposed to homophobia as a homosexual might not be a pleasant experience.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 02-17-2006 02:28:38 AM
quote:
Mod stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Yes it means that you would have a group people to group / raid with who do not bother you, which is basically what a guild is for.

Again, being constantly opposed to homophobia as a homosexual might not be a pleasant experience.

Aren't most homosexuals constantly opposed to homophobia?

You know, except for the self-loathing ones. . .

Mod
Pancake
posted 02-17-2006 09:12:46 AM
quote:
How.... Vorbis.... uughhhhhh:
Aren't most homosexuals constantly opposed to homophobia?

You know, except for the self-loathing ones. . .

I need to stop writing in a hurry.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 02-17-2006 12:06:42 PM
quote:
Mod probably says this to all the girls:
I need to stop writing in a hurry.

I'm still waiting for something to top your post in Kait's stocking thread.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: