EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: One step closer to starships
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-14-2006 06:20:13 AM
Sweet

No "technology", just the solution to prove near-lightspeed travel is quite possible and easier than we thought.

In theory anyway.

Antigravity beams. Stardrives. No one at mission control is going to be able to say those with a straight face.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-14-2006 07:15:03 AM
Hyperdrives and FTL travel may be possible too.

quote:
Welcome to Mars express: only a three hour trip
IAN JOHNSTON SCIENCE CORRESPONDENT

AN EXTRAORDINARY "hyperspace" engine that could make interstellar space travel a reality by flying into other dimensions is being investigated by the United States government.

The hypothetical device, which has been outlined in principle but is based on a controversial theory about the fabric of the universe, could potentially allow a spacecraft to travel to Mars in three hours and journey to a star 11 light years away in just 80 days, according to a report in today's New Scientist magazine.

The theoretical engine works by creating an intense magnetic field that, according to ideas first developed by the late scientist Burkhard Heim in the 1950s, would produce a gravitational field and result in thrust for a spacecraft.

Also, if a large enough magnetic field was created, the craft would slip into a different dimension, where the speed of light is faster, allowing incredible speeds to be reached. Switching off the magnetic field would result in the engine reappearing in our current dimension.

The US air force has expressed an interest in the idea and scientists working for the American Department of Energy - which has a device known as the Z Machine that could generate the kind of magnetic fields required to drive the engine - say they may carry out a test if the theory withstands further scrutiny.

Professor Jochem Hauser, one of the scientists who put forward the idea, told The Scotsman that if everything went well a working engine could be tested in about five years.

However, Prof Hauser, a physicist at the Applied Sciences University in Salzgitter, Germany, and a former chief of aerodynamics at the European Space Agency, cautioned it was based on a highly controversial theory that would require a significant change in the current understanding of the laws of physics.

"It would be amazing. I have been working on propulsion systems for quite a while and it would be the most amazing thing. The benefits would be almost unlimited," he said.

"But this thing is not around the corner; we first have to prove the basic science is correct and there are quite a few physicists who have a different opinion.

"It's our job to prove we are right and we are working on that."

He said the engine would enable spaceships to travel to different solar systems. "If the theory is correct then this is not science fiction, it is science fact," Prof Hauser said.

"NASA have contacted me and next week I'm going to see someone from the [US] air force to talk about it further, but it is at a very early stage. I think the best-case scenario would be within the next five years [to build a test device] if the technology works."

The US authorities' attention was attracted after Prof Hauser and an Austrian colleague, Walter Droscher, wrote a paper called "Guidelines for a space propulsion device based on Heim's quantum theory".

Interesting times.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 02-14-2006 08:11:20 AM
How I'd love Heim to be right...but just because we want something to be true, it does not make it so.
Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 02-14-2006 10:30:13 AM
quote:
Pvednes's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
How I'd love Heim to be right...but just because we want something to be true, it does not make it so.

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong." - Arther C Clark

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-14-2006 11:30:48 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Mortious wrote:
Sweet

No "technology", just the solution to prove near-lightspeed travel is quite possible and easier than we thought.

In theory anyway.

Antigravity beams. Stardrives. No one at mission control is going to be able to say those with a straight face.

It would be cool, but overall not very useful. Sublight speed would not be beneficial for anything aside from exploring our own solar system, which we know is mostly barren.

To begin extra-solar exploration, you'd need to be able to go at least 10x the speed of light for it to be worth anything. And even at that speed, it'd be impossible to explore much of our galaxy (90,000 light years in diameter).

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-14-2006 11:51:06 AM
quote:
Reynar probably says this to all the girls:
It would be cool, but overall not very useful. Sublight speed would not be beneficial for anything aside from exploring our own solar system, which we know is mostly barren.

To begin extra-solar exploration, you'd need to be able to go at least 10x the speed of light for it to be worth anything. And even at that speed, it'd be impossible to explore much of our galaxy (90,000 light years in diameter).

Yes because we all know that we should have gone strait from steam power to planetary colonization. These are all stepping stones on the path, just like with every other technology in human history.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-14-2006 12:09:17 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Cuba:
Yes because we all know that we should have gone strait from steam power to planetary colonization. These are all stepping stones on the path, just like with every other technology in human history.

Boy, you sure showed me.

Oh wait, I wasn't saying anything like that, nevermind.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 02-14-2006 08:02:35 PM
one step closer to the Event Horizon! Woot!
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 02-14-2006 08:21:29 PM
*snrk* I'd say this is awesome indeed, though I doubt we'll punch through to Hell anytime soon. What I want to know is: how long until we get the Guild Navigators to achieve Space Folding?
"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 02-15-2006 12:35:07 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Reynar:
Boy, you sure showed me.

Oh wait, I wasn't saying anything like that, nevermind.

Uh... yes, you were.

quote:

You just directly stated that this is useless because it doesn't get us anywhere near the edge of our galaxy using this technology, with no regard whatsoever to the fact that this technology would, in fact, be a precursor to any technology that would be necessary to do that.

Early cars could barely go 20 MPH. Shucks, they should have just abandoned the technology right there. And hell, at Kittyhawk the Wright brothers didn't fly for more than a few hundred feet. What use is a couple hundred feet?

Led
*kaboom*
posted 02-15-2006 12:41:48 AM
quote:
KaLourin impressed everyone with:
one step closer to the Event Horizon! Woot!

But... I am home... *vanishintoshadowsomg!*

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: