EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Comics
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 02-12-2006 02:13:29 AM
I just finished the first volume of Y the Last Man. I'm hooked on it already.

This makes 3 Vertigo comics I've enjoyed now: Y the Last Man, Fables and Sandman.

Does anyone know of comics in a similar style? I've read the first volume of Lullaby, and I also read the Girl Genius series. I'm not a traditional superhero comic fan, but these unusual stories and settings really appeal to me.

Anything other non-traditional comic fans would suggest, given the comics I've named?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 02-12-2006 03:37:50 AM
I would have recommended Fables, but you already listed that. Other than that, I've got no idea...
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 02-12-2006 05:00:54 AM
100 Bullets - A bit American conspiracy theories packaged with great story telling and badass characters.

The Losers - What the A-Team would have been if they hadn't been a retarded TV show.

Top Ten - Superhero cops. Written by Allen Moore.

WE3 - involves animals. sadf =(

The Authority - Basically what if the Justice League said "Hey earth, we're in charge, stop fucking up." And Batman/Superman parodies are gay.

The Invisibles - Great magic/dimensional/weird shit comic, but you'll need acid to make sense of it.

Ex Machina - Superhero who controls machines is Mayor of NY.

Edit: and of course Transmetropilitan, Watchmen, V for Vendetta,

Ferret fucked around with this message on 02-12-2006 at 05:04 AM.

Sean
posted 02-12-2006 09:38:37 AM
Preacher, Lucifer, Planetary.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 02-12-2006 11:27:17 AM
I ditto top ten and to a lesser extent preacher, the invisibles is cool but a bit hard to follow,

Astro city: A realistic attempt at the superheroc omic compraised msotly of 1 shots but with a few 6 issue arcs, it covers every aspect of a world inhabbiteded by superheros from every perspective imgianble, tis great stuff, and i garentee if you read the first issue youll be ooked

Transmetropolitan: where my old sig adn banes current one came from; a very cynical look at the future as told by hutner S. tompsonesque journalist who is pulled out of retirement and forced to return to a city he hates, its at the same time hilarous and moving, i recall ja'deth saying he liked it last time i mentioned it

Bone:kinda cutesy, but definatly entertaining and engrossing, plus you can get the entire ~1600 page series for like 30 bucks on amazon

Watch man, V for Vendetta and Kingdom come are all definitly worth a spin and probaply at your local public library

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 02-12-2006 11:31:13 AM
Bone is an excellent story (though I've not read it in about 8 years now).
I am a big fan of Strangers in Paradise (just pick up the graphic novels, there are too damn many issues/renumbers/reprints of the comic run).

tangent - Oh, coffee. I'll go through my comic boxes and add a few more suggestions later

Parce Looks Like Donkeylips
Tremendous Faggot
posted 02-12-2006 02:38:32 PM
quote:
Xyrra had this to say about Tron:
Bone is an excellent story (though I've not read it in about 8 years now).

qft in so many ways.

The one volume collection (1300 pages or something) is only like 50 bucks. It's a LARGE book.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 02-12-2006 06:12:39 PM
Oh, Watchman has a place of honor on my bookshelf. It was the first comic I was exposed to. And I just picked up V for Vendetta the other day but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Is Top Ten really good? Deth has those and he really likes them. And Batty recommended Transmetropolitan too, so I may have to see if my comic book shop has the first couple of volumes.

Mooj, did you see that two more Fables anthologies are coming out this year? In June is Arabian Nights and Days and in October is 1001 Nights of Snowfall. I can't wait. After the surprises of 6, I'm foaming at the mouth for more Fables.

Did you ever read Lullaby? It's decent, with Alice, Jim Hawkins, the Pied Piper's stolen son, Red Riding Hood and a really unusual Pinocchio on their way to Oz. But it's not kiddy, although it is still a fantasy realm unlike where Fables is in the modern real world.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 02-12-2006 06:27:14 PM
I read Cable Vs Deadpool and The Ultimates. Both of which should be due by dcp within days.
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Aaron (the good one)
posted 02-12-2006 06:28:23 PM
oh and Batman & Superman, but that issue only comes out once every 2 months.
Sean
posted 02-12-2006 07:18:42 PM
Pretty much anything Delid recommends you can instantly disregard.

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 02-12-2006 07:23:00 PM
Transmetropolitan, is without a doubt one of the best comics written by Ellis, though anything written by that man is gold in my book.

Planetary, is awesome as well, it deals with three people that go around collecting superhuman secrets to battle The Four (Think of them as the evil Fantastic Four)

Also Afghan War, by Gaiman its just a one shot comic but purposes an interesting premise. Nowhere is also out based on the TV show from Britian, about this guy who helps this girl and then gets dragged into the London Below which is pretty fucked up, but still awesome!

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Sean
posted 02-12-2006 07:24:36 PM
quote:
New Age Bane don't surf!
[good recommendations]

oh man fuck Toyman, he is one creepy son of a bitch

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 02-12-2006 07:31:38 PM
quote:
Sean had this to say about Duck Tales:
oh man fuck Toyman, he is one creepy son of a bitch

Yes, in last Wednesday's JLU he was awesome What am I saying, the entire episode was awesome, the Legion of Doom duking it out with themselves, then Luthor makes a big uh oh! I can't wait for next weeks, sorry now back your regularly schelude post!

Brave Old World, is pretty good.

New Age Bane fucked around with this message on 02-12-2006 at 07:34 PM.

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Aaron (the good one)
posted 02-12-2006 07:36:28 PM
quote:
Oh Sean. Oh Sean! Oh Sean!!;
Pretty much anything Delid recommends you can instantly disregard.

Fuck you they are awesome you douche

Sean
posted 02-12-2006 07:41:45 PM
quote:
Delidgamond spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Fuck you they are awesome you douche

She specifically asked for non-superhero books. You named three of the most biggest superhero monthlies in print today, one of which sucks balls (B/S). Another of which is a fucking chore to keep up with (Ultimates). And your third is a half-assed catchphrase fest that only has decent moments when Deadpool is not involved at all.

Lashanna
noob
posted 02-12-2006 08:05:57 PM
I'm mostly in the same boat as you, Lyinar, and I can't begin to reccomend Planetary enough. Bane's summary doesn't really capture the spirit of the story, but I don't think I could do it any better. It's a bit hard to describe fully.
Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Steven Steve
posted 02-12-2006 08:18:51 PM
Isn't Deadpool just a ripoff of Slade Wilson from DC?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Sean
posted 02-12-2006 08:22:59 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist, what the hell are you doin' out here? You oughta be in bed.

Wade Wilson a ripoff of Slade Wilson? SAY IT ISN'T SO!

He's a shitty character from a shitty creator who one writer made into a fan favorite with outdated pop culture references. The day Bea Arthur dies is the day Deadpool is finally cast aside into obscurity.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 02-12-2006 08:29:42 PM
You shall never be forgiven
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 02-12-2006 08:34:17 PM
quote:
New Age Bane, alone in the world and surrounded by danger on every turn, still managed to type this:
Yes, in last Wednesday's JLU he was awesome What am I saying, the entire episode was awesome, the Legion of Doom duking it out with themselves, then Luthor makes a big uh oh! I can't wait for next weeks, sorry now back your regularly schelude post!

Hah. It was awesome, although as soon as I realized where they were heading I thought, oh god, I know where this is going...I think Toyman vs. Killer Frost was really the best part of that episode, as it seemed just to be filler before the big twist.

If he blew up the LoD headquarters, how did they get back to Earth? Did Metron protect them? Seems like a pointless interlude otherwise. "Oh, everyone's going to regret your actions, unspeakable tragedy, etc...carry on then."

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Sean
posted 02-12-2006 08:37:24 PM
quote:
Gunslinger Moogle probably says this to all the girls:
If he blew up the LoD headquarters, how did they get back to Earth? Did Metron protect them? Seems like a pointless interlude otherwise. "Oh, everyone's going to regret your actions, unspeakable tragedy, etc...carry on then."

I'm not spoiling because who cares!

It's no real big mystery as to how they escaped. I mean, c'mon, they have like five warlocks/witches, Sinestro, and most important of all, Lex fucking Luthor.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 02-12-2006 09:46:54 PM
Yeah, I've seen Neverwhere in comic form, but I was looking for new stories. I do intend to pick that one up sometime though. Loved the book.

Mod
Pancake
posted 02-13-2006 12:07:14 AM
Transmetropolitan is quite entertaining. The art is quite good and fits the story well. Apparently people tend to complain that the guy who wrote it only ever writes the same characters with some slight variation, but this is the only thing of his I've read so it didn't bother me.

What I read of Preacher I hated, I got about ten issues in before I stopped. Most of the characters reek of really forced badassery and the writing relies on gross-outs to evoke a reaction and is full of "See! We can print this! Not for kids!"-moments.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-13-2006 07:38:12 PM
Transmetropolitan takes a few issues to spin up, but once it's rolling it's really a fun read. I need to catch up on it, actually.

Top 10 was/is a great story because while the characters are "science heroes" (superheroes), it is essentially a police/crime series. Imagine if you had Hill Street Blues or NYPD Blue or Law and Order set in a city where all the superbeings live. It's an intelligent series, pokes a little fun, but it's amazing how fast you come to like and care about the characters. In one issue, for instance, they get called in about a murder. Seems Baldur, son of Odin, has been murdered...

Dunno if I'd recommend The Authority. A lot of the backstory of the series is tied inextricably to the old Stormwatch series (which frankly isn't worth reading in my opinion). Likewise, in trying to go for a hyper-modern realistic feel, the weaker authors on the series regularly resort to pointless sex (and sex jokes), and truly over-the-top violence and gore. When they rebooted the series a while back, the series just gave me a blah feeling rather than the cutting edge feeling I liked. It's a credit to the early writers on the series, though, that they took two ripoffs (Apollo, the Superman ripoff, and Midnighter, the Batman ripoff), turned them into a gay couple, and actually managed to pull it all off with taste. I actually LIKE Apollo and Midnighter.

Planetary, likewise, was good for the first ten or so issues. Then it went "meh" on me. Good premise, hell great premise. The execution faltered.

I don't know that I'd recommend the Ultimates titles for Lyinar. They're a little too superheroic for her tastes. I love them. I have more or less every Ultimates-universe issue either in collection or as computer files. They are, simply put, brilliant. The premise was, broadly speaking, to explore how the Marvel Universe would be different if it developed in the modern era. Ostensibly, this seemed to mean on the surface making them grimmer and grittier, reworking some concepts and characters, and jettisoning the old-school morality and ethics. And it did. But what saves the Ultimates line from falling prey to the obnoxiousness of the "grim and gritty" 70's and 80's era of comics is the fact that now the stories are very character-driven. The plot of an issue or a story arc as often as not won't have anything to do with what villain they're fighting that week as much as the characters involved and how they interact. Characters I normally can't stand (Captain America, Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Tony Stark/Iron Man) are made into likeable, three-dimensional personalities with their 60's idealogy stripped away. Characters I already like and root for (Spidey, Hulk, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Thor) are given much-needed facelifts. And the villains! Magneto is far more sinister. Old silly villains like the Kree and Skrulls are now serious threats. Good stuff, make no mistake. I'm just not sure if it's all Lyinar's thing. Then again, she really liked "Watchmen" and the Ultimates line is definitely the rightful heir to that lineage.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-13-2006 07:41:07 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist had this to say about Cuba:

The difference is that Deathstroke the Terminator (what a lame villain name) was really taking himself way too seriously. When Deadpool showed up, he was very different, very funny (in a distinctly Plastic Man sort of humor), and at the same time was a wickedly mischevious sort of antihero.

Wasn't until this whole Identity Crisis/Villains United arc they've done with Slade that Deathstroke has turned back into being a serious contender.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Parce Looks Like Donkeylips
Tremendous Faggot
posted 02-13-2006 09:38:17 PM
If you're in for a good horror read, go get Uzumaki. It's a really neat horror manga about ..spirals. It gave me the willies at a lot of different points. It's basically about these two kids that live in this weird town where lots of things happen (really disturbing or creepy things) to the people in the town focused around spirals.

It's not a shocker or anything, it's just really disturbing.

But very good!

Maradon!
posted 02-13-2006 09:42:24 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into SeƱor Gains who doth quote:
If you're in for a good horror read, go get Uzumaki. It's a really neat horror manga about ..spirals. It gave me the willies at a lot of different points. It's basically about these two kids that live in this weird town where lots of things happen (really disturbing or creepy things) to the people in the town focused around spirals.

It's not a shocker or anything, it's just really disturbing.

But very good!

Sounds Pet Semetary inspired.

Leftover Mog
posted 02-14-2006 11:07:58 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael thought about the meaning of life:
Is Top Ten really good? Deth has those and he really likes them.

YES!

quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael said this about your mom:
Transmetropolitan too, so I may have to see if my comic book shop has the first couple of volumes.

YEAS!

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-14-2006 03:14:55 PM
Have you picked up Top Ten: The 49'ers yet, Mog? Good stuff. Tells how Neopolis got started, where Jetlad and Wulf got together, etc. I can hardly wait for the new series to come out in collection.

Leftover Mog
posted 02-14-2006 04:06:12 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Have you picked up Top Ten: The 49'ers yet, Mog? Good stuff. Tells how Neopolis got started, where Jetlad and Wulf got together, etc. I can hardly wait for the new series to come out in collection.

AWESOME!, I had no idea they released more stuff, i read everything in existance a few years ago and loved it, ill defintly pick that up! thanks deth

now they jsut gotta make more astro city damnit

Won't you be my friend

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: