EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Pitbulls Vs. Bulldogs
BacardiMunch
Wise enough not to pee on the electric fence?
posted 02-04-2006 03:54:33 PM
Here is an article on the story that sparked legislation in Ontario to ban the owning of Pitbulls.

The New Yorker

I myself was wondering. How similar are Bulldogs in their attitudes/attacks to their cousins?

Thoughts?

I don't exactly agree with banning those dogs.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-04-2006 04:10:08 PM
Around here Pit-bulls, bulldogs and other species that have proven themselves to be a danger are also referred to as targets. Collar or no collar, every one has at some time gotten aggressive and attack livestock in the area. They also end up running and inner breeding with coyotes. This has made the coyotes more aggressive and also lead to an overall increase in their size and strength.

Everyone knows how big I am on civil liberties, however as with anything there is a point when something just becomes dangerous. Dogs like these have been bread for Size, and strength. Despite what many owners will scream at you, they are also more prone to aggressive behavior than many other breeds of dogs. Yes there are some that are nice and sweet their entire lives, but there are others that are nice and sweet for years then one day just up and attack someone or something. Start breeding the mean out of them and there would be no problem. But as long as they are the way they are now, you can only expect this to get worse.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
BacardiMunch
Wise enough not to pee on the electric fence?
posted 02-04-2006 05:04:46 PM
There is a section on this article where they claim that Pitbulls can be just as easily bred for therapy.

Their will to attack without stopping is almost as great as their will to relax a patient. < something similar to the quote.

But what I'm asking is Bulldogs... does anyone know if they share the same snap attitude and aggressive behavior?

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 02-04-2006 06:08:33 PM
Here's what is said about the Bulldog on AKC.org

http://www.akc.org/breeds/bulldog/index.cfm

quote:

Temperament
The disposition should be equable and kind, resolute and courageous (not vicious or aggressive), and demeanor should be pacific and dignified. These attributes should be countenanced by the expression and behavior.

I've met a few bulldogs and they have been the typical "Love Sponge" most dogs want to be. They're so damned ugly that they are indeed cute. They're prone to some breathing issues and skin problems.

There is also the French Bulldog which is a smaller breed and is just as ugly/cute in my opinion as the Bulldog (English Bulldog??)

Kaglaaz How'ler fucked around with this message on 02-04-2006 at 06:09 PM.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-04-2006 06:37:36 PM
English Bulldogs are super loving and loyal. I was raised with them. I will say that I saw one of our dogs go after what she saw as threats to the safety of her "kids", which were me and my siblings. However, she never bit anyone. She would just chase suspicious people off.

Man was she ever a smart dog. I miss Priscilla!

I have never seen a French Bulldog.. but I have seen American Bulldogs, they are like English Bulls on stilts. Same temperament as far as I can see. Calm, cool.. mellow. Happy to see ya and ready to play, but also ready for an ice cube in the shade too.

Nae fucked around with this message on 02-04-2006 at 06:39 PM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 02-04-2006 10:24:21 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Optimus Prime:
.... Start breeding the mean out of them and there would be no problem. But as long as they are the way they are now, you can only expect this to get worse.

That is the real problem, Pure Breeds will not have a vicious streak in them, but most of the Pit and Rotweiller breeds have been corrupted. I know a few breeders and they share the same concern, it is too easy for one bad dog, or one dog with bogus papers to come in and ruin the line. Shit at least 2 pet shop owners in my area refuse to carry those breeds, even bull dogs and some animals because these would be thugs and wannabe gang members come in and decide they and a pit or a bull dogs so they look tough, or a big snake, or a tank full of piranha

Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 02-05-2006 11:45:37 AM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Punky Brewster:
these would be thugs and wannabe gang members come in and decide they and a pit or a bull dogs so they look tough, or a big snake, or a tank full of piranha

Im so gangsta I have pet smallpox

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Ryuujin
posted 02-05-2006 11:57:22 AM
quote:
Azizza wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Around here Pit-bulls, bulldogs and other species that have proven themselves to be a danger are also referred to as targets. Collar or no collar, every one has at some time gotten aggressive and attack livestock in the area. They also end up running and inner breeding with coyotes. This has made the coyotes more aggressive and also lead to an overall increase in their size and strength.

Everyone knows how big I am on civil liberties, however as with anything there is a point when something just becomes dangerous. Dogs like these have been bread for Size, and strength. Despite what many owners will scream at you, they are also more prone to aggressive behavior than many other breeds of dogs. Yes there are some that are nice and sweet their entire lives, but there are others that are nice and sweet for years then one day just up and attack someone or something. Start breeding the mean out of them and there would be no problem. But as long as they are the way they are now, you can only expect this to get worse.

AMAZING

...and haven't we had this thread before?

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-05-2006 01:42:36 PM
quote:
Azizza was naked while typing this:
Misinformed bullshit.

I was going to actually respond to this, but we've had the arguement before and Azizza didn't learn anything then, either.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Steven Steve
posted 02-05-2006 02:18:43 PM
I'd kind of like the option to stab a dog to death if need be. And yeah, pit bulls need to be modified a bit, but people usually don't plan these things very well.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-05-2006 02:19:59 PM
Misinformed? Yeah sure. I am sorry some people are so blinded by their love of animals that they think they can do no wrong. However the fact is that some animals are more prone to violence than others. And some of those animals are strong enough to be a danger because of that.

I have seen the evidence first hand what they can do. Full sized horse pulled down and mauled by a couple of them. Horses!! Now think about what that same animal can and has done to people.

What I have learned is that these animals are a danger. Not all of them but a larger than normal portion of the population. Any animal can turn on you, these have a higher chance of it. Of course like normal I am sure you dont' want to be confused with facts.

It amazes me that a lot of these dog owners will show you images of a dog licking their face and then act like the images of identical dogs ripping people apart are fake. Some people equate these animals to weapons. However I do disagree there. A weapon has to be controlled by a person. These animals can not be controlled in any way shape or form. And as I said before, until the aggression has been breed out of them they will continue to be a larger danger than most other animals. I am sorry, but in my opinion owning one of these things is about as ignorant as what that idiot Treadwell did, because they are MORE unpredictable than the bears were.

Azizza fucked around with this message on 02-05-2006 at 02:40 PM.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-06-2006 07:37:23 AM
The problem, Azizza, is that even if you personally witnessed a "pack" of them bring down a full-sized adult horse, that's still a group that learned at some point to do that. And a small group out of the total population of large dogs, at that.

I had a Chow-Chow. Now, Chow-Chow's have a reputation as being vicious dogs. When they bite, their teeth and jaws essentially lock and they tear down the length of bone in your arm. Everyone hears this about them. Everyone "knows" Chow-Chow's are vicious, bloodthirsty animals with a penchant for killing children, destroying livestock, and maiming national heroes.

Except it just isn't true. Any dog can be turned into a monster by neglect or mistreatment.

I think banning a breed of dog is fine, but stupidly short-sighted. You won't have any purebred animals. Good job. The half-whatever mutts will still be around, though. Likewise, it won't prevent people from being neglectful or from mistreating the dogs they are allowed to have.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Steven Steve
posted 02-06-2006 09:21:04 PM
If pitbulls are legal, we might as well make bears and tigers legal too since they can be domesticated.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-06-2006 10:23:42 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
If pitbulls are legal, we might as well make bears and tigers legal too since they can be domesticated.

And wildebeasts!

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Steven Steve
posted 02-07-2006 12:48:12 AM
But wildebeasts truly are our friends!

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 02-07-2006 01:30:07 AM
It's mostly in the raising of the dogs. I've personally seen it with Golden Retrievers and Chihuahuas. My younger brother was attacked by my cousins' golden who "just snapped," but had had a long history of being locked in a bathroom for most of her life and bred almost constantly. My brother walked up to pet the dog, and it went for his throat, from which he still has the scars. When my dad demanded the dog be put down, my cousins protested, "Oh, no! we couldn't do that! She's a nice dog who just snapped." The dog died of old age a few years ago. Another aunt owns a golden which, while it is mentally retarded by dog standards, is one of nicest dogs you'll meet.

As for chihuahuas, we took care of my grandmother's after she died. This dog was great. Smart, cute, never barked unless you stepped on her (she was the same color as the carpet...). She was like a member of the family, and when she died, Dad sprinkled her ashes on his mother's grave. In contrast, I had a friend's chihuahua try to attack me through my blue jeans just for standing in the foyer. Their dog was usually kept in a kennel and ignored. It's a matter not of breed, but of environment and training.

This is why I think it would be better to not ban the breeds, but to ban the owners who prove themselves unable to take care of a dog properly.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Steven Steve
posted 02-07-2006 04:42:40 AM
Who's seriously going to pay for that though? Also, is anyone seeing parallels between pit bulls and radical Muslims or am I just completely out of my mind? Actually uhhhhhh IIIIIII

Maradon!
posted 02-07-2006 05:01:35 AM
quote:
x--Fazum'Zen FastfistO-('-'Q) :

They can? Since when?

Steven Steve
posted 02-07-2006 05:16:02 AM
SINCE PAVLOV!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter
Pancake
posted 02-07-2006 06:47:27 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Fazum'Zen Fastfist!

Hay, we had this crazy Tiger lady in Lakewood/Jackson NJ that had like 24 tigers...Really.

Steven Steve
posted 02-07-2006 07:01:03 AM
Did they kill anybody?

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-07-2006 09:29:34 AM
It's the fuckin poodles we all need to worry about. They eat people.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-07-2006 01:16:32 PM
quote:
Maradon!'s fortune cookie read:
They can? Since when?

We taught this lion to eat tofu!

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Parce Looks Like Donkeylips
Tremendous Faggot
posted 02-07-2006 01:26:06 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about pies:
We taught this lion to eat tofu!

more like hufu

Amethyst
Woman of the Shadows
posted 02-07-2006 04:11:20 PM
Weren't pitbulls specifically bred to be lethal? I thought I heard that they were first bred to participate in illegal dog fights.
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 02-07-2006 04:28:58 PM
Is anybody here a dog breeder?

Didnt think so. Arguement over.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Amethyst
Woman of the Shadows
posted 02-07-2006 04:45:20 PM
Aww, I love you too!

Any dog can rip out someone's throat no matter what breed. It all just depends on different factors...breed, discipline, treatment, temperament, etc.

Sean
posted 02-07-2006 05:02:53 PM
Your custom font color is horribly obnoxious.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Peter
Pancake
posted 02-07-2006 05:08:30 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist's account was hax0red to write:
Did they kill anybody?

I think so, or one got loose and attacked someone. The fuzz put it down, prior to that, like no one had any idea their were there.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 02-07-2006 06:51:05 PM
quote:
Amethyst obviously shouldn't have said:
Aww, I love you too!

Any dog can rip out someone's throat no matter what breed. It all just depends on different factors...breed, discipline, treatment, temperament, etc.

You mean.. dogs are like.. different? JUST LIKE PEOPLE!.. OMG..

And dont forget.. sometimes you can have a teddy bear of a dog.. tame breed, good with people, been treated with love all his life.. And he might just decide to rip your face off in your sleep because he gets bored.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Maradon!
posted 02-07-2006 07:48:44 PM
Pit Bulls are safer than fascism.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 02-07-2006 at 07:49 PM.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-07-2006 09:11:02 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
Pit Bulls are safer than fascism.

If I had to confront an angry pit bull or an angry Benito Mussolini, I'd pick the angry Benito Mussolini.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-07-2006 11:54:31 PM
Pit Bulls are more vicious than most dogs, true, but they're also just dogs and can be loyal pets. Should they be banned? No. Should they be somewhat restricted? Yes.

Pit Bulls, sold to cruel or negligent owners, will grow up to be bad dogs. Hell, if I ignored and kicked Otis around, I'd have a mean pug on my hands.

Granted, it's not an easy solution, but it's easier and less retarded than a nationwide ban on Pit Bulls.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 02-08-2006 12:07:22 AM
quote:
Why do ya build me up, Peter-cup baby just to let me down, and mess me around?
Hay, we had this crazy Tiger lady in Lakewood/Jackson NJ that had like 24 tigers...Really.

I was telling someone about that a few weeks ago and they didn't believe me >.<

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-08-2006 10:07:05 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Pit Bulls are more vicious than most dogs, true, but they're also just dogs and can be loyal pets. Should they be banned? No. Should they be somewhat restricted? Yes.

Pit Bulls, sold to cruel or negligent owners, will grow up to be bad dogs. Hell, if I ignored and kicked Otis around, I'd have a mean pug on my hands.

Granted, it's not an easy solution, but it's easier and less retarded than a nationwide ban on Pit Bulls.

Note to self...Army of Man-Eating Pugs...yes...

CBTao
Pancake
posted 02-08-2006 11:34:23 AM
Even if a ban on pitbulls is made, the people who buy pitbulls to raise them violent will simply move on to another intimidating looking dog.

Once all the dogs have been banned, they'll move on to something else, like... ferrets, with their sinister eyes... -shivers-

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: