EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Beta stuff....
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-31-2006 03:13:52 PM
Internet Explorer 7.0 Beta 2 is public

Enjoy but don't blame me if your computer explodes.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-31-2006 03:18:49 PM
I'll just stick with firefox, thanks.
Blackened
posted 01-31-2006 04:33:59 PM
quote:
Blindy..
I'll just stick with firefox, thanks.
thanks for this

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 01-31-2006 05:56:59 PM
It seems to look amazingly like Firefox. I like how it had to validate my copy of Windows before continuing. Selective public, I think you meant, Sir RIG
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-31-2006 07:33:07 PM
Indeed I meant no such thing. Microsoft said "Public Beta". If their version of "public" means "people who own legitimate copies of our products" then I would recommend they get a better dictionary.

Personally, I didn't even bother installing it. I have Firefox, if I wanted Opera I'd have downloaded Opera.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 01-31-2006 07:47:58 PM
I installed it. I wonder if there is a "classic" view? Seems to work though.
Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 01-31-2006 08:29:51 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Indeed I meant no such thing. Microsoft said "Public Beta". If their version of "public" means "people who own legitimate copies of our products" then I would recommend they get a better dictionary.

I don't know about you but if I were a software company opening a public beta for an addition to a core product, I'd only let the customers that paid for it participate too.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-31-2006 11:06:57 PM
I thought that was a new policy for Microsoft now, they are still putting out the security releases with no validation, but every thing else needs it. I would guess you will be seeing that stuff a lot more often now. I fail to see any big issue here.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-01-2006 12:36:20 AM
Now my text is all different.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Led
*kaboom*
posted 02-01-2006 12:59:29 AM
My computer explodered! And this looks all funny~
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 02-01-2006 04:56:18 AM
I put on my machine at home (posting with it ATM). Pretty solid for a Microsoft beta, so far at least. I remember the IE4 betas and how I had to reinstall Windows after each one. From a UI perspective, it doesn't look anything like Firefox or Opera, at least not to me. Tabbed browsing more or less works, but you have to change your pop-up behavior to "Let Internet Explorer decide how to handle pop-ups" to get the best use out of it. That should have been turned on by default. Some people are worried because the Phising Filter phones home to MS each time you hit a web page, but the Google Anti-Phising extension for Firefox works the same way, so I'm indifferent. The worst thing about it so far is the way they've implemented RSS support. Subscribing to an RSS feed just creates a bookmark with a different icon, much like Apple's Safari. Clicking on it will take you to a page with the latest info from the feed, but to me you might as well not use the feature if it's implemented that way. Opera is the only browser to come close to having a decent RSS implementation, IMO. Right now, you're still better off using a dedicated reader.

Basically, it just brings IE up to a point where it more or less has the same feature set as a default install of Firefox 1.5. It's not horrible, but since I've got my Firefox built just the way I like it with my assload of extensions, I won't be switching back.

-H

Maradon!
posted 02-01-2006 05:09:38 PM
quote:
x--BajahO-('-'Q) :
It seems to look amazingly like Firefox. I like how it had to validate my copy of Windows before continuing. Selective public, I think you meant, Sir RIG

Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> "Manage Addons" -> Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool -> DISABLE

Congrats, you may now connect to windows update (and this download) despite your pirated version of winxp.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 02-01-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 02-01-2006 05:11:13 PM
quote:
This is what Maradon! is doing. This is what I want Maradon! to do :

Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> "Manage Addons" -> Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool -> DISABLE

Congrats, you may now connect to windows update (and this download) despite your pirated version of winxp.

I was talking about during the installation process, Maradork. It validates before it will continue to install.

Regardless, I don't really care because my copy IS legal.

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 02-01-2006 05:36:24 PM
well www.turbotax.com wont work with it went to check on my e-file status and can't get the page to load properly.
Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 02-01-2006 07:03:48 PM
I cannot install the beta
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-01-2006 07:23:41 PM
quote:
Bajah spewed forth this undeniable truth:

And an update on this subject.

1. Get the hacked iecustom.dll (google for it)
2. Download the beta. DO NOT RUN IT
3. Using WinRAR or 7Zip, unpack the executable (right click it)
4. Go to the "update" subfolder
5. Replace iecustom.dll with hacked one
6. Run UPDATE.EXE (not setup.exe)

Of course that's all shady as heck, but if you did indeed priate your OS, what are you complaining about subverting an installer for?

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 02-01-2006 10:51:17 PM
It's not my fault that I had to pirate my version of Windows. I have a LEGIT version. But their product activation system is UTTER SHIT, and after my regular format they made me call and do some utterly ridiculous 50-digit long reactivation over the phone shit.

Whoever thought of that system, I would seriously love to nail his feet to the floor with a couple of rusty ice picks and then drive over him with my car. Then back up, and do it again.

Maradon!
posted 02-01-2006 10:56:03 PM
quote:
x--KhyronO-('-'Q) :
Whoever thought of that system, I would seriously love to nail his feet to the floor with a couple of rusty ice picks and then drive over him with my car. Then back up, and do it again.

Try not to hit yourself this time.

Peter
Pancake
posted 02-02-2006 06:26:55 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Khyron:
It's not my fault that I had to pirate my version of Windows. I have a LEGIT version. But their product activation system is UTTER SHIT, and after my regular format they made me call and do some utterly ridiculous 50-digit long reactivation over the phone shit.

..What?

Is this a Joke, I mean everytime i have formatted it took like one two mintutes to do the activation or the net connection.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 02-02-2006 11:13:33 AM
quote:
Out of a possible 10, Random Insanity Generator scored a straight 1 with:
And an update on this subject.
Of course that's all shady as heck, but if you did indeed priate your OS, what are you complaining about subverting an installer for?

quote:
Out of a possible 10, Bajah scored a straight 1 with:
Regardless, I don't really care because my copy IS legal.

I'm not complaining, just making an observation.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-02-2006 04:59:42 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Bajah wrote:

I'm not complaining, just making an observation.

You were wise in not installing it.

Day 2: DoS Crash found, possible Remote Code Execution

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-02-2006 05:25:45 PM
quote:
How.... Random Insanity Generator.... uughhhhhh:

This is why public betas are good =)

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Maradon!
posted 02-02-2006 06:02:06 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Random Insanity Generator booooze lime pole over bench lick:

A bug in a beta release!?

DEAR GOD WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO!!!

Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 02-02-2006 09:11:38 PM
I opera

Switched over by necesity but all you mozilla folks should give it a try if you havent yet

dell's oem windows forced me into piracy

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-02-2006 10:47:05 PM
quote:
Maradon!'s unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
A bug in a beta release!?

DEAR GOD WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO!!!

A critical security flaw found in what microsoft has been claiming is a "complete and total overhaul" of the product. When they "introduce" bugs (I call it 'bug resurection' personally) that were supposadly fixed in the code they were already overhauling I'd consider it rather funny.

Bugs like not preserving IE6 settings when installing or using bad fonts because of a default setting or (and my personal favorite) not having one of your biggest features enabled (Anti-Phishing protection) by default... those are things I consider "normal" for a beta.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: