EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Exxon pulls out of Venezuela
Maradon!
posted 01-25-2006 04:37:52 PM
Who cares?

Well, oil companies measure one another in terms of land area and they compete aggressively for it. For Exxon to pull out of Venezuela means they believe that operating as a politically loyal collective there presents a greater investment risk than operating in such countries as Yemen and Angolia where they're currently operating despite the risk of violence.

Oh, and take care to read the entire article if you doubt that Chavez is a Castro wannabe. His despotic appropriation of all private industry mirrors what with fellow communist Robert Mugabe did in Africa. Well, Mugabe managed to starve hundreds of thousands of people to death despite huge natural resources in the form of rich diamond mines.

I wonder what Venezuela will be like in ten years.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-25-2006 at 04:38 PM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-25-2006 04:39:56 PM
Exxon could be hedging their bets on oil shale and oil sands up in Canada. It's almost economically viable to start mining those, now.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 01-25-2006 04:52:46 PM
quote:
Karnaj thought about the meaning of life:
Exxon could be hedging their bets on oil shale and oil sands up in Canada. It's almost economically viable to start mining those, now.

Petro-Canada has been mining the oil sands in Alberta for the last 25 years. I'm not much of an economist, but from what I've learned on the Discovery Channel it is an economical way of extracting oil.

Lechium fucked around with this message on 01-25-2006 at 04:53 PM.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-25-2006 04:55:36 PM
Maybe it's the oil reserves that are sitting in very hostile climates that they're talking about. Although I imagine that most of Alberta is none too pleasant around winter.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 01-25-2006 05:07:27 PM
quote:
Lechiuming:
Petro-Canada has been mining the oil sands in Alberta for the last 25 years. I'm not much of an economist, but from what I've learned on the Discovery Channel it is an economical way of extracting oil.

It's always been economical, just not AS economical as oil fields.

And, fortune 500 companies do not make bets to hedge in the first place.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-25-2006 09:27:15 PM
quote:
Maradon! said:
Well, Mugabe managed to starve hundreds of thousands of people to death despite huge natural resources in the form of rich diamond mines.

All while blaming England and Tony Blair for it.

He's absolutely bonkers. He rides around in clothes and cars that mirror the English Royal Family, he lives in a fantasy land.

Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 01-25-2006 09:40:32 PM
quote:
Mortious stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

He's absolutely bonkers. He rides around in clothes and cars that mirror the English Royal Family, he lives in a fantasy land.

Are you saying that he dresses like a queen?

I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-25-2006 09:45:01 PM
quote:
Zaile Ghostmaker said:
Are you saying that he dresses like a queen?

His wife does.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-25-2006 09:46:16 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Maybe it's the oil reserves that are sitting in very hostile climates that they're talking about. Although I imagine that most of Alberta is none too pleasant around winter.

Oil derricks by their very nature are hostile environments. From my understanding, most of the structures and equipment used in oil extraction and refinement are built like brick shithouses. The US has a Great deal of domestic fossil fuel reserves that go un touched because compared to foreign offers are not that cost effective.( Can change over time, I mean in Wyoming there are wells my old man had dug and capped that in the 80’s were not considered cost effective to tap anymore, but now modern tech has them reopen the wells.)

--It looks like the point of the article is that Exxon pulled out before the country decided to nationalize the oil industry there. I wouldn't be surprised if Exxon went as far as to offer its top Venezuelans posting out of the country too.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 01-26-2006 02:21:22 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about pies:

Shit, who is that English comedian I was listening to last night when I was going to sleep? He cracked me up. "Americans have it good. Their leader is SUPPOSED to be stupid."

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: