EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I now have Civilization IV...
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 01-22-2006 11:58:32 PM
And I'm installing it at this moment. I could've gotten EQII, but the Gamestop manager told me that SoE is losing customers across the board. WoW still has server faction imbalance problems so I didn't get that either. I was going to get Black and White 2, but he recommended this game very highly.

In the end I was attracted to Civ IV because of the ability to play on the net, the recommendation of the manager (who was playing in his office) and the fact that this game has something packed in that is rare these days.. a nice, thick game manual.

Is there anything I should know about before I start playing?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-23-2006 12:06:07 AM
GET THE LATEST PATCH BEFORE PLAYING.

I don't care how big it is. YOU NEED IT.

Ryuujin
posted 01-23-2006 11:35:51 AM
Invades Mortious' territory w/ Navy Seals
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-23-2006 11:38:44 AM
*already owns Europe, Asia, and Africa since early Medieval period and kicks Ryu's ass*
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-23-2006 11:43:24 AM
quote:
A thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters couldn't ever match Mortious:
GET THE LATEST PATCH BEFORE PLAYING.

I don't care how big it is. YOU NEED IT.

^^^

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 01-23-2006 12:34:26 PM
Are units still completely unable to go over mountains?
Blindy.
posted 01-23-2006 12:57:34 PM
quote:
Khyron needs to learn to type:
Are units still completely unable to go over mountains?

Yes. That was done on purpose.

Khyron
posted 01-23-2006 02:34:04 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about (_|_):
Yes. That was done on purpose.

That annoyed me. One of the first things I do in EVERY game of Civ I play, is send units to scout out on top of mountains and shit because that's where they get the huge sight bonuses

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 01-23-2006 04:36:49 PM
so what was so catastrophically bad that I had to have the patch? BTW, it's now patched and hopefully I can figure out the internet multiplayer functions...
Blindy.
posted 01-23-2006 04:54:42 PM
quote:
Did someone say Kennatsu:
so what was so catastrophically bad that I had to have the patch? BTW, it's now patched and hopefully I can figure out the internet multiplayer functions...

Memory issues. If you were playing on a huge map with less than 2 gb of ram it would slow to a crawl by 1000 ad.

Khyron
posted 01-23-2006 05:43:54 PM
So, once again concerning the mountain situation...

Do you eventually get tech to scale mountains and allow units to pass over them?

If not, can you still build improvements on mountains?

Kennatsu
posted 01-23-2006 06:08:03 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
So, once again concerning the mountain situation...

Do you eventually get tech to scale mountains and allow units to pass over them?

If not, can you still build improvements on mountains?

According to the manual, you can't build or put anything on peaks...

Kennatsu
posted 01-23-2006 08:06:17 PM
How does "playing via email" work? Would it be the same thing as playing chess via mail?
Big Easy
Pancake
posted 01-23-2006 08:09:20 PM
quote:
Verily, Kennatsu doth proclaim:
How does "playing via email" work? Would it be the same thing as playing chess via mail?

Yes, very similar. Takes a while, so only for the VERY patient. Or those who play for five minutes every few days.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Kennatsu
posted 01-24-2006 02:55:35 AM
I've been enjoying it so far.... well...

I can't get the damned title song out of my head!!!

And Catherine looks nice...

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-24-2006 06:56:35 AM
Game was unplayable for me before the patch, because I'm a big fan of huge maps and very very VERY long games.

Unfortunately they took too long getting the damn patch out so I took it back. I feel sorry for the poor Civ fans who bought it with no internet connection. Remember Civ is an old game line and will also be bought by older people who enjoy strategy games but might have no internet connection.

Less and less games are playable right out of the box these days. Gets bloody annoying.

Khyron
posted 02-04-2006 01:12:13 PM
What is the patch number that fixes all these huge issues you speak of?

1.09? 1.52? I desire to know.

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 02-04-2006 02:26:22 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about (_|_):
What is the patch number that fixes all these huge issues you speak of?

1.09? 1.52? I desire to know.

Patch is at the bottom

Tier
posted 02-04-2006 03:27:03 PM
Not to mention the patch introduces Marathon mode, which is a much needed game pace especially if you like military conquest. Anything slower, and the massive army you just prepared is obsoleted by your research before you even deploy it...
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: