EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Avatar: The Last Airbender
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-22-2006 08:10:19 PM
Possibly my biggest guilty pleasure is the fact that I greatly enjoy this show. It's a cartoon on Nickelodeon that has just come out on DVD and it is possibly the best thing I've seen in an adventure cartoon.

Basically it follows a cliched storyline of four kingdoms (Fire, Earth, Water and Air) living together until one of them attacks (guess which one!) Their armies are fueled by spellcaster-like people called Earth/Fire/Air/Waterbenders, with the ability to manipulate their chosen elements. They also ride great beasts into battle and fight with giant coal-era machinery.

The story goes that one guy called the Avatar has the power of all elements can stop the invaders from conquering the world and upsetting the balance. But he disappeared! Then these two kids from a Water tribe found him, but his reincarnation is a little kid named Ang, who happens to be the last Airbender.

And they try to get him to the North Pole so he can understand water powers and junk and it's all about their adventure.

Let's break it down...

The Bad
-Some anime cliches (big eyes, exaggerated expressions, etc.)
-The characters are kind of shallow at first
-The whole four elements, fire is evil is kind of cliche

The Good
-The cliches are only skin-deep. The characters and nations develop intensely so that you even come to sympathize with the villains.
-It's fantastic storytelling and pacing, much better than most cartoons of the day.
-Where it really shines is world-building. These people are all entirely different and based off of different peoples. The dark-skinned, dark-haired Water tribe, for example, is based off of Inuit lore; they live at the north pole, dress in parkas, etc. The pale-skinned Fire Nation rely on great machines of warfare, like tanks, grappling hooks, war balloons and coal-powered ships for their fighting.
-Each of the bending styles not only is different, but they're all based on Chinese martial arts that are clearly visible. Earth benders, for example, bend using a lot of stomping and contact with the ground. Water benders use flowing Tai Chi. Fire benders take deep breaths, then unleash their powers, like dragons.

I wholeheartedly recommend this show to anyone.

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 01-22-2006 10:18:46 PM
I've seen quite a few episodes of this, they had a marathon last summer. I too am very intrigued by this series. The quest they're on makes you want to watch it to find out what will happen next.

I second the reccomendation.

flying buffalos ftw

Steven Steve
posted 01-22-2006 10:22:29 PM
I saw this show and it seemed interesting but I flipped away because the voices were just a bit too annoying. Sort of like Zoey 101, except for the interesting part and without little girls.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-22-2006 10:23:15 PM
quote:
Norim Stumpfighter had this to say about Pirotess:
I've seen quite a few episodes of this, they had a marathon last summer. I too am very intrigued by this series. The quest they're on makes you want to watch it to find out what will happen next.

I second the reccomendation.

flying buffalos ftw

Bison man. Bison.

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 01-22-2006 10:42:22 PM
Yes truely Avatar is one of the greatest shows Nick has ever produced. The season finally was spectacular I cant wait for it too start new episodes. It is extremly deep and has a great mix of action,drama, and comedy.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Pancake
posted 01-22-2006 11:43:38 PM
quote:
Vise the Stompy had this to say about Knight Rider:
Yes truely Avatar is one of the greatest shows Nick has ever produced. The season finally was spectacular I cant wait for it too start new episodes. It is extremly deep and has a great mix of action,drama, and comedy.

The show does kick so much ass. I didn't know the series was on DVD, but I gotta go get it =)

Airbending=Bagua.
Firebending=Northern Shaolin Kung Fu.
Earthbending=Hung Gar.
Waterbending=Ku style Tai Chi.

Steven Steve
posted 01-23-2006 12:07:43 AM
What the hell?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: