EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Historical trivia thread rides again
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-15-2006 07:53:42 PM
The croissant is not actually French, but actually both Austrian and Islamic in origin.

Way back during the aggressive expansion of the Ottomon Empire and the rise of Islam, the Ottomans laid siege to the town of Vienna. While they were well-defended, the Austrians were under the threat of sapping (digging under the city fortifications) by the Saracens.

Late one night, a pair of bakers had chosen to work through the night when they heard the sappers working inside the walls. They raised the alarm and managed to locate the infiltrators and kill them. Some days later, an army from France arrived and pushed the Ottomans out.

Celebration ensued and the two bakers decided to make a commemorative pastry. Whether it was out of respect or scorn for their enemy, no one knows, but they adopted the crescent (the Islamic holy symbol) and made it into a pastry that we know today as the croissant.

Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 01-15-2006 08:27:43 PM
There are multiple versions of this story, referring to different dates and cities. Regardless of whether any of them are true, I find it unlikely that no one baked a moon-shaped biscuit before the 17th century.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 01-16-2006 12:44:54 AM
Random tidbits:

Jacob Shallus was the calligrapher of the U.S. Constitution, and was paid $30 for his work.

Richard the Lion Hearted was a member of a troupe of troubadors, and wrote lyrics.

For over 400 years, pirates were hanged at Execution Dock on the north bank of the Thames.

The word "dream" did not come to mean 'sleep images' until around the 13th century. It origionally meant "joy", "noise", or "music", in Olde English.

As of 2005, the Japanese liquer Sake has been around for 6,805 years.

"Caesar" means "hairy". The family was known for having fine heads of hair.

Josephine's divorce from Napolean was the first under the Napoleanic Code.

Only ocean fish is used raw in suchi. River fish is cooked because of its tendancy to harbor parasites.

Tada!

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Gadani
U
posted 01-16-2006 12:51:56 AM
And here I thought "Caesar" was a title. :<
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-16-2006 12:53:24 AM
quote:
Azakias's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Only ocean fish is used raw in suchi. River fish is cooked because of its tendancy to harbor parasites.

Pretty sure she goes by Led now.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Peter
Pancake
posted 01-16-2006 06:01:23 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Azakias was all like:

Sushi refers to the rice, and maye or may not have raw fish, Sashimi on the other hand is raw fish.

The Blue and Yellow fin tuna are highly prized fish for the Japanese, sometimes selling for upto 18000 per fish. Fish from all over the world are flown to the Japanese fish markets, a fish cout off the NJ shore could be selling the next day in Japan.

Ahoy Is thought to orginally be a viking war cry

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-16-2006 10:15:20 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop painfully thought these words up:
Pretty sure she goes by Led now.

hehehehehe

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: