EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Apple's new best friend
-postroliphophus-
Pancake
posted 01-12-2006 01:13:31 PM
In the past week Apple has introduced their new line of computers that come with an Intel Dual Core Processor.

I have been researching and pricing my first computer build for months now which was going to be for when I start film school in June. My problem now is that I can either get a desktop PC for around $1900 that includes

AMD X2 4200
GeForce 7800GT
2gig Corsair Mem
320gb HD
19inch Monitor
as well as the rest of the workings, but thats just the major stuff

or I can opt for the MacBook Pro, which from what I've been told is the better computer for video editing.

Side note: I still intend to play games on whatever comp I get, its not just for editing.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-12-2006 01:24:43 PM
OS X is a much better OS than Windows XP. If I had the luxury of the extra money I would be running a Mac right now.
Sean
posted 01-12-2006 01:29:16 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent -postroliphophus- said:
Side note: I still intend to play games on whatever comp I get, its not just for editing.

Then you don't want the Mac. Or that PC. Look for a different processor; I've heard compatibility issues with X2s and current games.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 01-12-2006 01:39:12 PM
quote:
Sean had this to say about dark elf butts:
I've heard compatibility issues with X2s and current games.

I live that every day of my life. Though for the most part I have yet to find a patch, utility or flag that doesn't fix the issues I come across. The worst you have to do is set processor affinity or disable Cool'n'Quiet.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-12-2006 01:54:01 PM
Don't forget to add another grand on top of that for software for the PC.

I don't game to much anymore so I cant' speak a lot on that. Pretty much all I play is WoW and both my G5 and Powerbook run it pretty well. The new iMacs fall right between those two systems in performance so you should have no problem running that. Game limitations are going to be your only problem.

Right now I am not sure about the ability to run XP on the new Apple hardware (nor would I want to) However from what I hear, Vista should be pretty easy to port over.

For video you are hard pressed to find a PC and software that will preform as well as the mac anywhere in the price range. And while I hate the name, the new macbooks seem to be pretty solid machines.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-12-2006 01:56:21 PM
Just note that Rev. A apple products are notoriously shitty.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-12-2006 07:08:00 PM
quote:
Alidane had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Just note that Rev. A apple products are notoriously shitty.

Stop repeating what you saw on SA, because that's mostly just scapegoating for normal product failures, though I'm sure there's an exception or two. Also, any problems are taken care of by Applecare, especially when it's their fault.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 01-12-2006 at 07:08 PM.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-12-2006 07:53:06 PM
quote:
Kegwen thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Stop repeating what you saw on SA, because that's mostly just scapegoating for normal product failures, though I'm sure there's an exception or two. Also, any problems are taken care of by Applecare, especially when it's their fault.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-13-2006 12:34:52 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Alidane:

I will admit the RevA iMac was a pretty shitty ordeal, but that's pretty much it

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: