EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Spiderman 3
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 01-12-2006 11:08:07 AM
Topher Grace as Venom.

WTF?!?!

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 01-12-2006 11:19:56 AM
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-12-2006 11:29:40 AM
So?
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 01-12-2006 11:38:38 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Kaiote said this:
Topher Grace as Venom.

WTF?!?!

Better choice than Ru Paul I suppose.

Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Sean
posted 01-12-2006 11:57:02 AM
We've been over this like nine times.

Chill the fuck out.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-12-2006 02:40:21 PM
HAHA! I'll have a hard time thinking of him as anything but Eric Forman. I'll be expecting Red to barge in and yell at Venom for fighting with Spider-man. Now I have to see this movie.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-12-2006 03:09:13 PM
He's bulked up a little tiny bit for the role, but he still looks like a skinny wanker. Guess they're going with a more "Ultimate Venom" sort of deal.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-12-2006 03:23:27 PM
He's a good physical counter to Tobey Maguire
LeMiere
posted 01-12-2006 04:27:38 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Blindy.:
He's a good physical counter to Tobey Maguire

Exactly. I imagine he can give a really unique element to the character.

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 01-12-2006 05:04:45 PM
I could see him more as Carnage though.. i mean honestly the look and all.
I think a good Eddie brock woulda been that big muscled dude who was in "Gladiator".. he would have the voice i imagined him to have also..
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 01-12-2006 05:26:07 PM
I think it'll work out a-okay!
-postroliphophus-
Pancake
posted 01-12-2006 10:38:01 PM
The best actor to play Eddie Brock is and forever will be Henry Rollins.
Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 01-12-2006 10:39:35 PM
quote:
-postroliphophus- had this to say about Captain Planet:
The best actor to play Eddie Brock is and forever will be Henry Rollins.

I could see that.

Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Steven Steve
posted 01-12-2006 10:40:57 PM
I think they're going with the Ultimate Spider-Man story or something, because that's the only explanation why Venom could be played by such a pansy.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

UBT
Pancake
posted 01-13-2006 03:45:46 PM
quote:
-postroliphophus- enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
The best actor to play Eddie Brock is and forever will be Brock Lesner.

Fixed that for ya.

nem-x
posted 01-13-2006 06:34:10 PM
What kind of name is Topher
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 01-13-2006 08:17:59 PM
I think his real first name is ChrisTOPHER.

He just glommed onto the seldom used second half of the name. Like it was a muffin stump or something.

Callalron fucked around with this message on 01-13-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
-postroliphophus-
Pancake
posted 01-14-2006 03:44:49 AM
quote:
How.... UBT.... uughhhhhh:
Fixed that for ya.

Henry Rollins

Venom/Eddie Brock

How could you think that Brock Lesner (a meathead who couldnt act and then turned down the opportunity of a lifetime to try football, which then failed) is a better fit then Henry Rollins (an actual actor who for his age is perfect for the role)? If they have that skinny little twit Topher playing the role, then its obvious that the actual character Venom will be entirely CGI.

I still think the villians should be The Lizard and Green Goblin (Harry Osbourne), any other villians would just cause chaos in the film. I also thought that Raimi said he was sticking to the books he read as a kid, not ones that came out in the early 90's.

I dont like Venom in the film because they would most certainly have to write around his story line and create a new one.

The Sandman is an interesting character and will really give a chance for the new CGI team to flex their muscles. Going solely off that picture of Flint Marko that was released, I'd say the character was cast well too.

Sorry, I wasnt here for the other Spiderman 3 threads.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 01-14-2006 11:22:32 AM
quote:
-postroliphophus- impressed everyone with:
How could you think that Brock Lesner (a meathead who couldnt act and then turned down the opportunity of a lifetime to try football, which then failed)

Yeah, what a dumbass. Using his natural talent to make himself financially independent, then doing silly things like reaching for his childhood dreams once he was in a position to do so. What was he thinking, trying to achieve the thing he grew up fantasizing about. What a meathead.

p.s. henry rollins is as much an actor as snoop dogg. A few bit roles in movies that you only get cast in because you were once a famous musician does not an actor make.

Yuri
posted 01-14-2006 11:58:44 AM
In all honestly, Topher Grace doesn't look as childish as he used to. Example here.
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-14-2006 12:10:15 PM
quote:
Yuri had this to say about the Spice Girls:
In all honestly, Topher Grace doesn't look as childish as he used to. Example here.

*whispers* Its the beard.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 01-14-2006 08:37:41 PM
I'm still hoping that while Topher may be Venom, he doesn't actually become Venom until the end and is the main villian of the fourth movie.

Azymyth fucked around with this message on 01-14-2006 at 08:39 PM.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

-postroliphophus-
Pancake
posted 01-14-2006 09:21:20 PM
quote:
Azymyth stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I'm still hoping that while Topher may be Venom, he doesn't actually become Venom until the end and is the main villian of the fourth movie.

I cant remember where I read this, but someone remarked that in one of the comics Venom kills Sandman. Since in the first two movies Raimi hasnt had Spiderman actually kill anything this would work perfectly.

Venom kills Sandman. Eddie Brock gets arrested and thrown in a jail cell with Cletus Kassady.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-14-2006 09:53:50 PM
quote:
Callalron impressed everyone with:
I think his real first name is ChrisTOPHER.

It is. Christopher Grace.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 01-14-2006 09:54:13 PM
quote:
The first rule of -postroliphophus- Club is you do NOT talk about -postroliphophus- Club!
I cant remember where I read this, but someone remarked that in one of the comics Venom kills Sandman. Since in the first two movies Raimi hasnt had Spiderman actually kill anything this would work perfectly.

Venom kills Sandman. Eddie Brock gets arrested and thrown in a jail cell with Cletus Kassady.

I don't think that would happen... I -hope- that doesn't happen.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-14-2006 10:12:21 PM
Am I the only one who really didn't like Carnage?

I mean, "Gasp, he's a remorseless murder machine" was kind of okay at first, but the more I saw of him, the more I wish he had some depth to him.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 01-14-2006 10:26:48 PM
Yeah, Carnage sucked. He just isn't all that interesting.

Gains
Pancake
posted 01-14-2006 10:40:53 PM
Carnage and Doomsday should go to a group therapy session.
OUEN! DAI - SEI - KOU!
-postroliphophus-
Pancake
posted 01-14-2006 11:41:13 PM
Im not much of a Carnage guy myself either. If Raimi ever does bring in Carnage I would think the movie would have to be rated R though.
Steven Steve
posted 01-15-2006 12:56:54 AM
quote:
Yuri had this to say about Tron:

Too bad Venom doesn't have a beard eh wot

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-16-2006 10:10:32 AM
Ultimate Carnage is a bit easier to stand than 616 Carnage. Problem with 616 Carnage is that he was essentially created because Venom became too friendly a character. Ultimate Carnage had a largely unrelated origin from Ultimate Venom (there isn't even a guy in the "suit"), and there's a reason he's such a bloodthirsty monster.
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-16-2006 12:45:06 PM
Yeah, they completely screwed up Venom. The whole "Lethal Protector" just made him into a huge wimp.

He was supposed to be insane. Venom might not kill, say, a child or an innocent bystander, but he wouldn't hesitate to kill someone in his way to Spider-Man, whether they were actively resisting him or not. Then he got all goofy and started being a big huggy monster.

Gaaaaaaaaay.

UBT
Pancake
posted 01-16-2006 09:38:06 PM

I couldn't find a good enough shot of Eddie Brock himself.

As you can see, there is clearly no contest.

Seriously though, I don't see Henry Rollins as being imposing enough to be Venom. Brock Lesner at least is not only imposing enough, but is a better actor as well!

UBT fucked around with this message on 01-16-2006 at 09:39 PM.

-postroliphophus-
Pancake
posted 01-16-2006 10:04:14 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on UBT!

Seriously though, I don't see Henry Rollins as being imposing enough to be Venom. Brock Lesner at least is not only imposing enough, but is a better actor as well!

Two things I'm really confused with here. One, why does the actor who plays Venom have to be imposing? I mean, was Willem Dafoe or Alfred Molina really that imposing? If they come out with the Lizard, is Dylan Baker really that impressive physicly? It only shows that Venom is going to completely CGI with Grace playing him, so how big the actor that plays him is really irrelavant.

Second, how is Brock Lesnar a better actor then Henry Rollins? I know that Rollins has only had some bit roles and hasnt really been cast in a leading role yet, but hes at least been in a movie. The only acting Brock lesnar has ever done was acting like hes hurt or acting like hes beating the crap out of a guy. While that may work during the fight scenes it still doesnt work when hes playing Eddie.

UBT
Pancake
posted 01-16-2006 10:27:09 PM
Well, since Eddie Brock was a little bit imposing just by himself for one. He worked out like a fanatic after Parker ruinned his life, and the Symbiote only enchanced him further. The stronger he became as Eddie, the stronger Venom became, so he worked out even harder.

Last I checked, the Lizards trength came from the reptile side of him, and Green Goblins strengths came from his gadgets. It's all what if anyways, so mellow thy self my brethren.

Finally, my comment on Rollins' acting was a joke. Yes, Brock Lesner was an actor in the WWE. For all you know he could be twice the actor Rollins is, as he's never really acted. I'm not saying Rollins is an actor either, I wouldn't call playing bit parts in movies acting, but people have to start somewhere.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-16-2006 10:47:24 PM
Technically Green Goblin's above normal strength comes from the serum that does everything else. It wasn't on par with Spidey's strength, though.

UBT
Pancake
posted 01-16-2006 10:50:26 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Technically Green Goblin's above normal strength comes from the serum that does everything else. It wasn't on par with Spidey's strength, though.

Well, you got me there. But what made him especially dangerous were his gadgets of DOOM!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-16-2006 10:52:15 PM
Exactly. GG's strengths lay in the fact that he was EXCEEDINGLY well armed (so much so that several villains in the MU ripped off his gear, from Hobgoblin to Jack O'Lantern). Moreover, Norman Osborn was a true tactical mastermind who knew how to mess with Spidey/Pete

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-16-2006 10:56:51 PM
I guess the true terror of Venom was that he was essentially unstoppable. He got real crafty about being around fire and sonics, true, but he could climb, swing, breathe underwater, so wherever Spider-Man went, Venom could follow.

But then he gave it all up to be a good guy so FAILURE.

Sean
posted 01-16-2006 10:58:38 PM
quote:
From the book of Mr. Parcelan, chapter 3, verse 16:
I guess the true terror of Venom was that he was essentially unstoppable.

No.

The true terror of Venom was that he could operate with impunity from Spidey-sense.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: