EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Don't annoy people on the Internet!
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-10-2006 10:20:32 AM
http://news.com.com/Create%20an%20e-annoyance%2C%20go%20to%20jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html?tag=techdirt

Or your ass will get tossed into jail

Apologies if this is a repost.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-10-2006 10:26:36 AM
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 01-10-2006 10:47:35 AM
Pfft. Looks like half the world's population is going to jail!
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-10-2006 10:59:07 AM
I'm suing you all for annoying me.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Sean
posted 01-10-2006 11:49:03 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Karnaj said:
I'm suing you all for annoying me.

Fat chance of that. I'm not anonymous!

This law should just read, IRC Now Illegal.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-10-2006 03:30:24 PM
Washington DC Office
711 Hart Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: 202-224-4254

There is his DC Office contact information. Call and let him know what you think of this particular vote. I'm sure that he'll appreciate it.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 01-10-2006 09:35:41 PM
I am going to sue everyone in WoW who kills me, as it annoys me. This is brilliant. I'll be a millionaire.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 01-10-2006 11:48:30 PM
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 01-11-2006 12:14:09 AM
How can you sue someone that doesn't reveal their real name?
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 01-11-2006 12:20:40 AM
quote:
Cobalt Katze thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

The government owns the interweb. IT KNOW EVERYTHING

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-11-2006 11:01:58 AM
quote:
The propaganda machine of Cobalt Katze's junta released this statement:

Get the server's IP address, do a reverse DNS lookup and see who owns the IP. Contact that company (or, more accurately, have your lawyer do it) and get the IP address of the offending poster. Reverse DNS, see which ISP owns that, contact the ISP, get their records, and sue the shit out the offender.

I dunno if it'll hold up in court, but if the hosting company and ISP are cooperative, then it's a piece of cake to get someone's real name.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mod
Pancake
posted 01-11-2006 11:17:53 AM
quote:
Cobalt Katze was listening to Cher while typing:

This appears to be a criminal statute, so you wouldn't as much sue someone as the executive would come after him. The police have an extensive power of subpoena which they can use to expedite the process Karnaj described.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Mayor of Townsville
Pancake
posted 01-11-2006 06:41:03 PM
quote:
To grease the rails for this idea, Sen. Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican, and the section's other sponsors slipped it into an unrelated, must-pass bill to fund the Department of Justice. The plan: to make it politically infeasible for politicians to oppose the measure.

The tactic worked. The bill cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote, and the Senate unanimously approved it Dec. 16.

Yuck, it's retarded as hell when politicians do that to get stupid bills passed.

The city of Townsville... is entirely mine!
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-11-2006 07:46:59 PM
quote:
Mayor of Townsville's account was hax0red to write:
Yuck, it's retarded as hell when politicians do that to get stupid bills passed.

Articals that I have read on the issue on blaming the president for the bill, saying that he should have vetoed it because it is a stupid law. However, the backlash from vetoing a bill that has to do witht he protection of women would have created a much larger shit storm.

Mod
Pancake
posted 01-11-2006 08:33:49 PM
quote:
Naimah got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Articals that I have read on the issue on blaming the president for the bill, saying that he should have vetoed it because it is a stupid law. However, the backlash from vetoing a bill that has to do witht he protection of women would have created a much larger shit storm.

It's an issue which would really have to be tackled by a president who wanted to make a huge stink about it, not just stop one or two instances. It would be pretty bad PR-wise if he vetoed this after the fact, but if a president got up and stated that he would veto bills which contain regulations completely alien to the actual subject matter of the law in question from X date onward, it would put congress on the defensive in justifying why they can't just split those bills into different thematically consistent parts.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-12-2006 12:12:48 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about dark elf butts:

And that's exactly the point. Politicians have the power to insert their own agendas into bills that the President could not politically veto due to the backlash it would cause. If I'm not mistaken, this power can also be used as a weapon to prevent bills from passing by injecting clauses that would be foolish not to veto.

I see it as a flaw in the system that has been abused continuously.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-12-2006 12:38:47 PM
They had the line-item veto bill introduced a while ago that potentially could have fixed that.

The bottom line is that congress needs to stop tacking shit on.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-12-2006 01:03:27 PM
quote:
Mod had this to say about Tron:
It's an issue which would really have to be tackled by a president who wanted to make a huge stink about it, not just stop one or two instances. It would be pretty bad PR-wise if he vetoed this after the fact, but if a president got up and stated that he would veto bills which contain regulations completely alien to the actual subject matter of the law in question from X date onward, it would put congress on the defensive in justifying why they can't just split those bills into different thematically consistent parts.

If a President were to take this course of action nothing would get done in Washington for his entire term. His own party would turn against him. Congress would continuously put bills entitled "Feed Starving Black Babies Affected by Urban Blight" and other things of that nature and force him to veto or cave while destroying any chance that he had at being an effective political force.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a line item veto that could be overturned with a simple majority, but congress would never let that through as it would be a severe cut into their sphere of power.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: